Back catalogue releases related to McCartney's 2016 move back to Capitol - First releases announced*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by leeroy jenkins, Sep 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm annoyed but the same I'll buy them If I'll find them without paying them too much. Not on ebay...

JDeanB likes this.
  2. Terry

Terry Senior Member

I have a purple pressing of Band ... that is Dutch. Not sure if this is late ‘70s

JDeanB likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That provides a bit of clarity. Thanks.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. And in the US these are coming out a week before Black Friday.

5. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks, I foolishly assumed the 2 were connected. Release on 17th and Black Friday 24th November. Not long to wait to see what actually happens. As you I think pointed out earlier these records, coloured, black or clear must have already been pressed and sleeves prepared. I looked a few hours ago at the Canadian site which does look very similar to the UK Universal sites and even has a UK email address for questions and no sign of black or coloured vinyl.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  6. Rikkiclan

Rikkiclan Forum Resident

If anyone ends up getting duplicate orders and it's willing to sell, I'd like to buy Ram + Band on the Run from you. Just got my record store preorders cancelled and I live in Mexico so I have no options left. Thanks in advance!

7. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

What site did you pre order from?

8. Rikkiclan

Rikkiclan Forum Resident

a store called The Electric Fetus & Dearborn Music, got a soundstage preorder too but I'm not optimistic about it - just clarifying, small store preorders are cancelled, soundstage is pending

9. If MPL is trying to "get everyone into streaming", maybe they're trying to make getting old-fashioned physical media so unpleasant, that everyone will eventually surrender out of agonizing frustration.

daveidmarx, Mr. Explorer, CDC and 6 others like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

MPL isn't that "smart"... ;)

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The single black vinyl LPs are down to a sweet spot price of $16.99 on Amazon US, except BOTR, which is under $19.

12. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Ha...is that the Electroc Fetus in Minneapolis?

13. Rikkiclan

Rikkiclan Forum Resident

Yeah, one of the few stores that had preorders active on their website

14. Rikkiclan

Rikkiclan Forum Resident

I just pulled the trigger on this site Platenzaak.nl for both Ram + Band on the Run. More expensive but cheaper than buying them from ebay I guess. Given that 1) they're featuring them on their front page and 2) it's an International seller, so not restricted to the "500 ultra limited stock" for U.S. stores, I'm giving them a shot. If anyone knows of any other international seller that has them listed it would be good to know so we can compare prices

Mr. Explorer, Trashman and jlf like this.
  15. The Quiet One

The Quiet One Forum Resident

Does anybody have an official information about the Archive Collection similars going definitively out of print? I only have the 2LP set of Band on the Run, and I'm not interested in getting these records in a version that lacks the extra LP.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

No official announcement stating ANYTHING about future Archive sets, except the use of the word "Ongoing" in the press release. However, most of the previous 2-LP Archive sets (released on the Concord label) are still available, but not all of them. However, once the remaining 2-LP sets are sold out, they may never be reissued on Capitol in that format again.

BUT we've been given almost no information, so it's anyone's guess.

Mr. Explorer and The Quiet One like this.
  17. The Quiet One

The Quiet One Forum Resident

Thanks, Arnold Grove!

I guess I'm gonna have to pick them up before the prices goes sky high on ebay...

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Guys, I love colored vinyl as much as anyone. But if you're buying these insanely limited editions to play, have you thought about how you can possibly get an exchange if a pressing is defective?

Please ignore this if you're just getting them to collect.

Signed, a guy who has that super-rare MoFi Beck on pink vinyl which has a manufacturing plant scratch on side 4.

19. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

That worries me every time I get an item such as this but it doesn't make me sit out on buying them and miss out altogether.

Rikkiclan likes this.
  20. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

One should probably look at these color pressings as collectibles that can be used for playing as well. If the sound isn't that great, there are still plenty of collectors out there who will want them regardless... especially if the numbers are as limited as people are hearing. Prices on eBay and Discogs will probably be pretty healthy for these copies.

McCartney's colored vinyl "Christmas Kisses" 7-inch from 2012 has a median re-sale price of $80 on Discogs. There were 2000 copies of those singles pressed (1000 on red, 1000 on green).

Mr. Explorer and Rikkiclan like this.
  21. Flaming Torch

Good spot but if the mastering/pressing is not unique then a black copy will do for playing and a coloured one to look at. Yes for me it is a collectable type thing though I will not be selling them off if they actually turn up. If they are defective and the run is sold out then defective they will stay. Personally unless they were an absolute disaster I would just keep them. For these possible forthcoming McCartney coloured vinyl things I will keep them as a reminder how much hassle buying a record is in 2017.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    forthlin and Derek Slazenger like this.
  22. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Prolly just me, but I will never understand how anyone can buy a record and never play it. :wtf: But on the other hand, thanks to ones who do. I've picked up some great still sealed deals on records from the 60's - 80's.

23. bward

bward Senior Member

It's an illness. And Im inflicted with it.

I can only think back to when I was a young fan geting into this (I missed out on the Beatles when they were around).
    Back then the Beatles collectible vinyl market was just getting established. A Can't Buy Me Love sleeve was about $80, and I remember thinking who would pay that much for such a thing.

Then I started seeking out albums and picture sleeves. When there was a warehouse find, I always managed to buy, with my limited money, whatever was going to become common. So, I remember I could have bought a Beatles Christmas album, sealed, at Joe Pope's Boston convention for ten dollars. Or that weird looking Mary Had A Little Lamb sleeve for $2.00. Guess which I chose. Never failed.

And I remember wishing I was around in the Beatles heyday, buying two copies of everything. One to play, one to keep. Even then I knew condition is everything.

I learned to just take care of things that I bought new. And now, most of the stuff I bought as a teen is still in pretty good shape. My pictures sleeves, especially. Some of it is worth a few bucks, some of it is common, but just nice to have.

Now we are in a new era. New vinyl is all the craze among collectors. I recently set up my turntable and started going through my boxes of Beatles records, many of which I can't even remember buying. And lo and behold, it turns out I was still buying Beatles/McCartney vinyl in the 90s and into the new century. So, I have Flaming Pie, Driving Rain, Run Devil Run, Rushes, etc. Am I going to play them now? Nope. Got them all on CD. I can listen to them there. Or, if they get re-issued on vinyl (I'm confident they will at some point) I'll buy a cheaper new copy, knowing the originals will always be sought.

The new color vinyl McCartney is on pre-order. I was both thrilled and sad to see how limited they are going to be. Thrilled because I know they will be more valuable to collectors. Sad, because, I got to be honest, I won't be opening them. I know that's weird.

And it's weird on another level too. I have a picture disc of Band on the Run, from the 1970s, still sealed. I bought it new. And it's worth not much more than I paid for it, even with 40 years of collectibility behind it. But this brand new color vinyl Band On the Run is already more desireable. Same for a lot of cool limited McCartney items that came out years ago and can still be readily found.

At this point, picking up whatever new Beatles/McCartney is released, is a habit. An expensive one. Its an illness too.
    I haven't sold a single thing out of my collection. So, whatever "value" some of these items have on the collectors market, I haven't yet realized.

I did once trade an incomplete set of Beatles colorforms I bought at a flea market for a dollar, for a Can't Buy Me Love sleeve in VG shape. So there is that. Some progress.

I know I need help. Thanks for listening! :)

24. Flaming Torch

I am always planning to buy those super turntables - one for mono and one for stereo. I do plan to play all my unplayed vinyl one day. I never bought it with resale in my mind. I actually am hoping for a time when only a few of us here on SHF care about old man raawk and we can be left in peace. There will be loads of cheap cds, vinyl and tapes all out there including these much talked about coloured vinyl editions.
    As an aside I watched the old James Paul McCartney show from 1973 last night. Did this ever get an official approved release and when was it shown in the UK. ( I checked it was 1973 in the UK but was it ever shown again here).The Beatles medley was worse than I remembered (for folk who do not know it is just the British public singing Beatle songs badly).
    I will come off the fence - the show was appalling.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Yorick and Mr. Explorer like this.
  25. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

No never been released officially and I don't think it was ever repeated in the UK. Have you seen the Ringo TV special? It's hilarious.

Mr. Explorer and Flaming Torch like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.