Back To The Future: Deleted Scenes In Some 1985 Release Prints?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by team2, Jun 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. team2

team2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw Back To The Future at a theater in Brewster, NY the month it premiered (July 1985). Years later, when I saw the deleted scenes on the 2002 DVD, I was surprised to learn that I had seen those sequences somewhere before. They obviously weren't in the 1986 VHS release (which I had owned for years), so I must have seen them in the original 1985 theatrical print. These scenes include the following:

1) Marty and Doc watching Lorraine as she cheats on a test in school.

2) Doc paying off a cop to keep quiet about the time machine.

3) Marty wondering if he'll end up gay when he gets back home and 1955 Doc asking, "What's wrong with being happy?"

4) 1955 Lorraine telling Marty she'll let her kids do whatever they want and Marty replying, "I wish I had that in writing." (The latter scene was restaged in Part II)

Is it possible that some prints were released with the deleted scenes left in? Likewise, does anybody here recall seeing those scenes in the theater in '85?

daca and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

They previewed this film in San Francisco, prior to a nationwide release.

Matthew Tate and team2 like this.
  3. team2

They were most likely still fine-tuning the editing of the film during any previews. Wonder if it was previewed anywhere else?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Could those scenes have been included in the TV edit?

beat_truck and MRamble like this.
  5. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

I also remember seeing additional scenes in BTTF in the theater. In particular, a scene where Marty attempts to teach George how to throw a punch, and observes that George is putting his thumb inside the fist. Marty corrects him. The later scene when George punches Biff is the payoff, including a close up of George making the fist correctly.

MikeInFla and team2 like this.
  6. team2

It's possible, especially if they wanted to fit it into a two-and-a-half-hour time slot. I know Fast Times At Ridgemont High has a bunch of extra scenes that were added to TV screenings.

AKA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.