Balanced audio cables F to F connectors

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DEG, May 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^ Thread Starter

I just received a pair, tried to connect them, they are M-F connectors. My Denafrips and Mac pre both have male type of connectors. Where can I get F-F cables? I have looked around and cannot find any online. I saw an adapter but I prefer to stay away from that. Help please!

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

typically signal outputs are male pinned requiring a female cable end. signal inputs are typically female and require the male cable end.
    are you sure you are trying to connect signal output to signal input?

Jimi Floyd, MGW and elvisizer like this.
  3. DEG

Yes. Like I wrote above, both units have male connectors on them. I just double checked. I would load a picture but don't know how. Unless they changed the picture loading to be like in the classified section.

4. Jaytor

Jaytor DIY Enthusiast

What model Mac Pre do you have?

5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

6. Jaytor

Jaytor DIY Enthusiast

The C37 does not have balanced inputs. Only balanced outputs. You need to connect your Denafrips DAC to the C37 using RCA interconnects.

Jimi Floyd and avanti1960 like this.
  7. DEG

C37 system control center.

8. DEG

That is what I am doing now. Both units have little peni sticking out hence the need for F to F.

9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

You're probably looking at dead plugs - dust protectors. Remove them. Neither McIntosh nor Denafrips make components with male RCA input or output jacks on their rear panels or anywhere else. All component input and output jacks are female. All RCA interconnect cables are, as a result, male to male.

Only balanced cables - three-pin XLR - are male-to-female.

I've tested and used Denafrips DACs. They have male outputs for the balanced analog output. On Denafrips DACs the female XLR connections are not outputs - those are AES/EBU digital inputs.

10. timind

timind phorum rezident

[​IMG]
    Your pre

[​IMG]
    Your dac?

Jimi Floyd and avanti1960 like this.
  11. DEG

Yes, however, both D:A and Pre. are Analog outputs so I can't use the cables anyhow. Thanks for all the advice guys, you are the best!

12. harby

harby Forum Resident

XLR cables are directional. They prevented you from hooking up an output to another output.

Agitater likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.