Bananarama (Sara & Keren) announce their first album in 10 years, "In Stereo" (04/19/2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

FIRST NEW ALBUM IN 10 YEARS - RELEASED 19th APRIL 2019

For the past three decades, Bananarama’s Sara Dallin and Keren Woodward have been one of pop’s most influential and revered groups. Their hit packed career happened because they were the mould-breakers. Sometimes reminders of pop genius come in the slightest of touches, the subtlest of triggers. In Stereo, their upcoming 11th studio album, is full of them.

The electro pulses throbbing through newly revealed track Dance Music; the moody echo vocal effect on the bridge of I’m On Fire; the boisterous Saturday night pure disco Stuff Like That; the Blondie-ish buzz to Looking for Someone; the spare, house music bassline to Tonight. Finishing on a ballad, as all the best Bananarama albums do, on the sad and gorgeous On Your Own.
    In Stereo is Bananarama back to their pinnacle best, a ten-track total recall on their irresistible pop storytelling capacity. Bananaramahave also collaborated with producer royalty Richard X on the stomper Love In Stereo.

In Stereo will be released 19th April 2019, on CD, Digital and Vinyl.

[​IMG]

Side 1:
    1. Love In Stereo
    2. Dance Music
    3. I'm On Fire
    4. Intoxicated
    5. Tonight

Side 2
    1. Looking For Someone
    2. Stuff Like That
    3. It's Gonna Be Alright
    4. Got To Get Away
    5. On Your Own

2. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

I hope the title track isn't this song:

3. pghmusiclover

I am pretty sure it will be the same song. I rather liked it and was sorry the MKS album was never released...

4. smallworld

You and me both.

I guess this means the MKS version will gain official release 20 years from now, but only on vinyl :/

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  5. pghmusiclover

It's hard to keep track, but I thought I read the three of them were now able to use the Sugababes name and were making music under that moniker.

6. smallworld

I think a new Bananarama album with Siobhan Fahey is a more likely prospect at this point.

Anonamemouse and tin ears like this.
  7. pghmusiclover

... and we see THAT is not happening!

I thought that MKS mended fences... or did that not last long?!

8. katieinthecoconut

katieinthecoconut Forum Resident

I love completely transparent PR rubbish like this:

Yes, it was definitely just those two when Bananarama were at their most relevant. Also, I can't recall much Bananarama reverence in the 2000s and 2010s.

I'd actually be more excited by music by the original Sugababes lineup, if only because Overload is still a brilliant song, although really this is just music by pop groups that are past their peak, for the super fans that kept paying attention or have a nostalgic tie to it. See also the Spice Girls reunion and recent Steps album.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. smallworld

Commercial peak, perhaps, but that doesn't mean their latterday work can only be appreciated through the haze of nostalgia.

I can't comment on the other groups, but Sugababes are in their vocal prime. It would be a shame to let their abilities go to waste.

P.S. Kudos to Bananarama for getting an album out in their fourth decade of performing.

bob60 and pghmusiclover like this.
  10. smallworld

I can confirm that it is indeed the same song.

Btw, 90 second sound samples for the album tracks can be found on iTunes.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    pghmusiclover likes this.
  11. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Bananarama without Siobhan Fahey is pretty worthless and has been since 1988. She was the talent. Nice try though with that PR spin.

Anonamemouse likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

That’s the new singer? Not as good as the other one.

13. smallworld

To which singer are you referring?

14. pghmusiclover

I think the duo version has made some good music without Siobhan (especially their previous two albums). Siobhan is talented, but I think that Shakespears Sister without Marcella Detroit was awful, so I think she works best when collaborating with others.

Troystar likes this.
  15. alexpop

In the middle singing.

16. katieinthecoconut

Mutya was always in the Sugababes when they were relevant. She was part of the original lineup and there at the height of their fame.

The lineup in that video is the original lineup:

[​IMG]

Their most famous lineup replaced Siobhan with Heidi. Mutya (in the middle in the video) is on the left.

[​IMG]

The final lineup was Heidi plus Jade Ewen and Amelle Berrabah, no original members:

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

Bottom pic. Is the one I recall. The far left one had the best voice imo.

18. katieinthecoconut

That lineup was from 2006 but their biggest hits were before that. I guess if you're especially young you might have grown up with that lineup but I don't recall them being half as important after Mutya left. Either way, Mutya definitely can't be described as a new singer, she was there at the start...

Jade Ewen is on the left. She represented the UK in Eurovision and then joined the band.

19. smallworld

20. alexpop

Had to use wiki ...referring to Mutya.

21. alexpop

There was also Atomic Kitten and S Club Seven. What happened to them ?

Dave Decadent likes this.
  22. katieinthecoconut

S Club 7 have done a reunion but it wasn't very successful (compared to Steps, whose reunion has gone quite well). No idea about Atomic Kitten, but their fame was a lot briefer anyway and Kerry Katona became more famous for other things.

23. pghmusiclover

Their new single, "Stuff Like That". It's a fun dance tune!

tin ears likes this.
  24. pghmusiclover

Their new album is out now. I'm listening on Spotify while await the arrival of the vinyl. Still annoyed that I wasn't able to get the vinyl releases of "Viva" and "Drama" on RSD. My local store said they never received their copies, and were hopeful they will still arrive.

25. Django

Django Forum Resident

Keren was my first popstar crush. I'm sure there's been some minor medical interventions, but she's still hot.

I really liked the sugababes before all the lineup changes. I have the overload singles best of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.