Band On The Run 50th Anniversary - Paul McCartney

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ralph7109, Dec 4, 2023.

1. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

Great video by @OobuJoobu, as always:agree:

2. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Now I am hopeful there are some knowledgable people here, even though my question doesn't have to do with the Anniversary edition.

I have two copies of BOTR:

- One is the regular UK from 1973, with pinched spine, YEX 929 - 2 / YEX 930 - 2 stamped matrix.
    - And then the other, which is assumingly also from 1973, but a UK export issue. It has a sleeve non-pinched spine, an "Export" sticker and: a different cut. The etched matrices are ZYEX - 929 -3 / ZYEX - 930 -3 and at least one side is signed by "BLAIRS" (Chris Blair).

Now I wonder whether anyone is in the know of why this version was cut/pressed differently than the regular UK version.

3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’m interested to know how different the standalone vinyl release will sound compared to the 2017 remaster.

Alien Ache likes this.
  4. Rob Clarke

Rob Clarke Forum Resident

The double LP version is available for pre order from the Paul McCarney UK store again now. It was out of stock earlier on today. I have just ordered a copy.

5. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I was really asking about the CD version. I figured the half speed mastered vinyl would be different than the previous vinyl editions.

supermd and ShockOfDaylight like this.
  6. CharlesHawtrey

CharlesHawtrey Pygmy digger

Since the digital release only includes the underdubbed mixes, I'm assuming it's just the 2010 remaster.

supermd, BlueSpeedway and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  7. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Well, I think there will be bits that you will like so enjoy it!

BeatleTMP and green_ovation like this.
  8. Solaris Morse

Solaris Morse Forum Resident

I wish they had released the 'Underdubbed' version on its own.I really do resent having to shell out twenty quid for a double CD,when I'm only ever going to play one of the CD's. :mad: No prizes for guessing which one. :winkgrin:

9. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

You can download the Underdubbed version as a stand alone album.

10. This might be a silly question, but does the UK Export version contain Helen Wheels?

11. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

I love Andrew's videos and I watch them all including rewatching of livestreams.

12. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Really silly question. :) And no, it doesn't.

(It was not UK vs Rest of the world, it was UK & Rest of the world vs North America, as far as Helen Wheels goes)

Billy Budapest and warewolf95 like this.
  13. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Very nice.

Although one thing Andrew didn't mentions [although he kind of alluded to], and I'm a bit curious about...

On my original LP version the inner sleeve was a kind of thicker cardboard, not just paper which is the usual. Does this reissue replicate that? [That likely being the reason it was hard to get the LP out of the sleeve, because the thckness of the cardboard makes the LP a tighter fit...]
    :shh: @OobuJoobu ?

Cool Chemist likes this.
  14. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

It is a fair comment. £21.99 is not that reasonable, particularly if like me you are looking at 3 multiple CD versions of the album already as well as the original vinyl. £15 is what it should be. That said, I would buy it if I could!

longdist01 and Solaris Morse like this.
  15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

My copy of the cd set arrived today from Bull Moose! :goodie:

supermd, longdist01, jricc and 2 others like this.
  16. Beatlerocker

Beatlerocker Forum Resident

OobuJoobu and Mazzy are doing interesting YouTube videos. Most of the time a nice watch.

OobuJoobu and longdist01 like this.
  17. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

Sorry I posted.

18. Understood—although the likely destinations for UK Export copies were PX’s on American military bases in the UK. That’s why there were many UK Export pressings of the American versions of albums. That’s why I thought the UK Export Band on the Run could have had the same track listing (and different back cover art) as the U.S. version.

Also, I wasn’t implying that my question itself was silly, but rather asking the question would be silly because you would have probably already checked the track listings. :)

TheHutt likes this.
  19. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I relistened to the 2010 CD for the first time in years today on quite good HEADPHONES and found it fab. But I don't want two of them. Oh well :)

Ryan Lux likes this.
  20. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Aaah, sorry, misunderstood your question. Didn't have the US military bases on the radar at all. I am more aware of UK export pressings like the Beatles ones on Parlophone instead of Apple (for countries that didn't have Apple registered...)

Billy Budapest likes this.
  21. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

jmxw, Martin de Dios, Yorick and 12 others like this.
  22. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Ok listened to the Underdubbed album mix in its entirety.

Hot Takes
    • Jet is a revelation
    • 1985 is instrumental
    • Picasso’s Last Words (Drink To Me) is quite interesting as a stripped down version
    I would like to hear many other classic albums in an Underdubbed style.

forthlin, Eska68, SolMerse and 10 others like this.
  23. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

Did anyone notice that the record has a 2023 copyright?

SolMerse and Paul H like this.
  24. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Has anyone found the Dolby Atmos version on Apple Music?

SolMerse likes this.
  25. TheAbsentMind

TheAbsentMind Forum Resident

Last edited: Feb 1, 2024