Bands/Artists That Brought Bad Crowds?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Just by definition, are there nice Nazis? :)

2. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Dinosaur Jr. at a free concert in Denver , got a spot upfront with my wife and a mosh pit broke out. Never seen such a thing prior to that and it was probably as interesting as the show. Think this was in the early 2000s. My wife held ground and even elbowed a few of them but it didn't seem to bother them. Probably harmless as there were no fights but it sure was odd to be in the fringe of it. Guess I am not the demographic for this kind of thing.

Agree with the Jimmy Buffett comments, lots of drunks ruining the show. Petty brought out the obnoxious drunks too.

Disagree with the Dead show comments, many days and nights on the stairs at Red Rocks meeting the best people you could meet. May be my best concert crowd memories!!

uzn007 and Fullbug like this.
  3. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Ellwood: Illinois Nazis.
    Jake: I hate Illinois Nazis!

(I don't imagine Pennsylvania Nazis are any better than the Illinois ones.)

5. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

It's one of my favourite quotes. I just say, in that Jake voice, "I hate Nazis" though and think fondly of the scene. Sadly, I've been using it a fair bit these past years.

When I think of a nice Nazis, for some reason I think of Mel Brook's Springtime for Hitler. I just do. And it's about as stupid as that.

tedhead, Chris DeVoe and showtaper like this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

All to the soundtrack of Limp Bizkit live. You've been to hell and back.

Fullbug, melstapler and tedhead like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The opening track on No More Heroes did them no favours.

8. Gammondorf

Gammondorf Forum Resident

In my experience the Dead crowd is 90% awesome people and 10% filthy but harmless wooks. The real danger was the non-fan parasites that came for the scene or to try to exploit the Deadheads.

uzn007, MrSka57 and Fullbug like this.
  9. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

For wearing a Devo suit?

mark winstanley and MrSka57 like this.
  10. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

9 nine pages so far and nobody has mentioned The Beatles..

KingPrawn19 and Sneaky Pete like this.
  11. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

12. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

I’m sure Oasis must have been mentioned by now .. always a propensity for punch ups ...

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  13. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

And that was just the band

14. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

David Allen Coe— hardcore redneck bikers with dubious affiliations

At the end of his career Johnny Winter.

melstapler, Fullbug and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. vulcangascompany

vulcangascompany Forum Resident

Oddly I went to a 'Belle & Sebastian' gig and the crowd who I thought would all be quiet, peace loving indie kids were all drunk, shouting, swearing, fighting/throwing things. They had obviously been drinking all day and by the gig were completely wasted.

One of the best behaved crowds was at a Napalm Death gig surprisingly! Yes the mosh pit was quite intense (!) as expected but outside that the kids were very polite and well behaved.

tedhead and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Sneaky Pete

That’s quite a poetic description. English is not dead after all. :)

17. Chris DeVoe

It's a re-write of Hunter Thompson's description of the TV business, which got re-written to apply to music:

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs."

Note: Hunter did not include the lame "...there's also a negative side." He was a much better writer than that.

I checked, and found his original quote from Generation of Swine: Tales of Shame and Degradation in the ’80s:

“The TV business is uglier than most things. It is normally perceived as some kind of cruel and shallow money trench through the heart of the journalism industry, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs, for no good reason."

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  18. Sneaky Pete

I actually knew that quote, but had completely forgotten it until you gave us proper attribution. Thanks.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

A lot of people don't get irony.

20. Chris DeVoe

"Yeah. It's like goldy and bronzy, only it's made of iron." - Baldrick Blackadder The Third

Fullbug, Man at C&A and Siegmund like this.
  21. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

Local concerts with local heavy bands in the 80s could be a health hazard. Those guys did not hesitate to punch you in the face if you looked at them "wrongly" or accidentaly stumbled into them. I don't know if the heavy metal scene is so dangerous now.

Fullbug likes this.
  22. Herman Schultz

Herman Schultz Forum Resident

Hmm. Well, Who audiences were notoriously brutal to opening acts in the seventies.

If you saw The Who in 1978, that would be the songs filmed at Shepperton Studios for inclusion in The Kids Are Alright.

Fullbug likes this.
  23. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

A Day To Remember.

I saw them on tour with Blink 182 and during A Day to Remembers set a bunch of rude aggressive mashers came out of nowhere starting pushing me and my brother (so they can have our spot) by time Blink came on all of those aggressors left thank god.

24. CRJ

CRJ Ski Patrol

I've not read all this thread so I'm not sure if my examples have been mentioned.

The Oi period in England. I lived in Southall, London at the time. There was a 4 Skins gig at the Hambrough Tavern in Southall. 1981 I think. I didn't go to it. I've never been into the music. By the end of the night the Hambrough Tavern was no more. Burnt to the ground.

I did go to a couple of early Jesus and Mary Chain gigs. One at the ICA, December 1984, that got rowdy. The other at North London Poly. Think it was March 1985. There was a riot there. I didn't know until recently that it was filmed.

Dudley Morris and Sear like this.
  25. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The Sex Pistols show in San Antonio was pretty rowdy.
    Probably only about .05% of the people who attended
    had heard of The Sex Pistols and knew what to expect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.