Bands/artists where you love one period of their work, but dislike another?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

"Swift boat"...I see what you did there. Well done sir, and 2 points.

2. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

For ME...
    Bowie's Let's Dance, Tonight and Never Let Me Down, are dead to me. I like the rest.

I wish U2 kept their 90's vibe going (Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop). While I don't dislike the rest, it's not nearly as good.

I like Chicago's first 7 records, minus much of VI. The rest are just not doin' it at all.

The band that calls themselves the Rolling Stones since 1979 aren't really The Rolling Stones. They also had dreadful albums up until Beggars Banquet, but some good singles.

I don't much care for Mekons first 2 records, but after that they're one of my favorites.

Pink Floyd is like a yo-yo. Love em, hate em, love em, hate em, in that order. There might be some "meh" in there too.

Do the Beatles have periods of work? If so, I only like the middle and the end, and not the beginning or those 2 records just after the middle and before the end. Huh?

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Like their 60s stuff, like a lot of their disco stuff, have no use for their synthy later stuff.

4. flako

flako Forum Resident

Chicago after Kath, Guercio and Seraphine were no longer around.

Davmoco likes this.
  5. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Another: The Who after Who's Next.

Lightworker likes this.
  6. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

Pretty much all early John Cougar sucks ''he'd be the first to admit it'', but i absolutely love everything Mellencamp's done since about 83, and i mean everything.

Love early Bee Gees, not crazy about their later disco phase.

Stones were great up until ''Tattoo You'', also early Rod Stewart, i think he absolutely butchered both ''The Great American Songbook'' and any ''Soul Classics' he managed to get his hands on, lame and souless is how i would describe his interpretations of both.

7. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I liked Train well enough until "Hey Soul Sister" then they were complete garbage. They went from alt-Americana to generic pop radio crap.

The first two OK GO albums are pretty great, then they released "Of The Blue Colour Of The Sky" and lost me completely. The first two were wonderful power pop albums, but OTBCOTS sounds like a horrible Prince album.

Weezer was one of my favorite bands until "Make Believe" came out. Aside from the single "Beverly Hills", the album is terrible, and while I have a couple of post-Make Believe albums, it's not the same anymore.

The Alan Parsons Project. Loved the first three albums. "Eve" was a total disappointment, it still hurts to listen to anything from that record. Total waste of time. Then I liked them again until "Ammonia Avenue" and "Vulture Culture". They had lost their edge. I came back to the fold with "Stereotomy" but didn't like "Gaudi" at all.

8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

GNR - Loved them during the Appetite era, like really loved them. Flipped over that record and Live Like a Suicide. Grabbed every import 12 inch and bootleg I could find, saw them live, etc.

Couldn't get enough.

Was totally psyched for the UYIs but when they finally came out I didn't like them all. Tried, but just couldn't get into them outside of a handful of tracks.

bcaulf likes this.
  9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Yes - post Going for the One
    Genesis - post And then there were three
    Talking heads - post Stop Making Sense
    Moody blues - post classic 7
    Joni mitchell - post Heijira
    Led Zeppelin - post Presence
    Rush - post A Fairwell to Kings
    The Who - post Who Are You
    Rolling Stones - post Some Girls
    Elton John - post Goodbye Yellowbrick Road
    Rod Stewart - post Every Picture Tells a Story
    U2 - post Achtung Baby
    Aerosmith - post Get Your Wings
    Gustav Mahler - post Symphony #3
    Jethro Tull - post Heavy Horses
    Pink Floyd - post Animals
    Elvis Costello - mostly post Imperial Bedroom
    Pearl Jam - post Yield

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  10. vamborules

VH with Dave - The greatest.

VH with Slappy - The worst.

Jimmy B. and Dudley Morris like this.
  11. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

Jefferson Airplane from 'Surrealistic Pillow' through 'Volunteers'. The snarly punk 'Bless Its Pointy Little Head' is greatly overlooked. The rest is pretty much crap.

12. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

70s Yes is probably in my top 5 of all time...but 80s Yes (excluding Drama) is atrocious.

audiotom likes this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, pretty much!

Though I find it tough to think of VH as the same band in those 2 eras!

Jimmy B. likes this.
  14. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Love the first Alarm e.p, the first album, the first show in Detroit at Todd's and all the singles from that period. Didn't like the second album and only a couple of tracks after that. I did see them live a couple of times after the first tour, opening up for the Pretenders and Bob Dylan(I think) and they were o.k.. I think Mike Peters got a bad case of the "U2's" that he couldn't shake.

15. John54

John54 Senior Member

Moody Blues: I like their work through the '70s, including Octave. After that, no.

Genesis: I like their work through the '70s, including And Then There Were Three and Duke, although those aren't as good as what preceded them. After that, I have trouble finding anything I like, with the exception of No Reply at All.

Bee Gees: I like all of their '60s work, I can tolerate their early '70s, I actually like Main Course but not much that followed it. However I liked Robin's solo How Old Are You plus Boys Do Fall in Love at least, and some of Barry's solo stuff around then too.

16. vamborules

They really were like a totally different band that happened to have the same name and three of the same guys.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  17. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

I don't care for Zappa, ZZ Top, or Pink Floyd after 1979.

18. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Michael Jackson post Thriller. He started sounding soulles.

19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I love the Kinks through some of Everybody's in Show Biz ,( especially 66-69) but don't care for much of anything after that.

malco49 likes this.
  20. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

yes i don't like it and very much! for me it becomes with lark's tongue

21. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Jethro Tull - after they released A, they lost me. I think the complete change in personnel, except for IA, was the reason for the band's change in direction. Perhaps Ian was looking to freshen the band's sound.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Zeppelin...I love Physical Graffiti and -especially- Presence, but mainly due to massive radio overplay have no real urge or need to hear their first five albums ever again, thanks...well, maybe III on occasion.

23. Halfwit

Halfwit Forum Resident

Little Feat without Lowell - Just not the same.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  24. pez

pez Forum Resident

It's their greatest album for me!

TheiPodAvenger and timind like this.
  25. timind

timind phorum rezident

I've known others who feel the same. IMO, they began the slide after Document, my favorite, and followed a slow decline which bottomed out at Monster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.