Bands or solo artists who are way past their prime and should retire

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Redhat220, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redhat220

Redhat220 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

This thread is for folks to express their views on bands or artists they still like, but feel these musicians have just gotten too old and are pale shadows of their former selves.

2. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

Paul McCartney & Bob Dylan

Jimmy B., ARK and psychtrailmix like this.
  3. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Justin Beiber

4. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

He had a "prime" at one time?

5. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

For me, this is the conflict. Macca seems to really enjoy going out and doing it, while Bob seems miserable about it. That just might be my perception, but why do things if you don't enjoy them when there's nothing left to prove?

6. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

The Who...or what`s left of them. They made fantastic music until Keith Moon left us. They should have stop as The Who at that point.

William K likes this.
  7. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

NONE! These people are gonna be a long time dead, let's enjoy them while their hearts still beat.

8. Sean

Sean Senior Member

9. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

They should do whatever makes them happy. Nobody is forcing you to attend their shows/buy their new records.

theMess, Sean, GodShifter and 5 others like this.
  10. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Randy Newman knows, but he ain't saying...

11. zen

zen Senior Member

Haven't most grunge bands retired anyway?

12. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

other than tainting their legacy i think any artist should be able to keep doing what they love. their audience should decide whether they want to join them on that journey anymore. sometimes it is cringe-inducing i know like watching joan jett try to squeeze into spandex that doesn't flatter anymore on r n' r hall of fame or watching macca try to hit the highs in maybe i'm amazed on the snl special but if they have the passion and aren't afraid of embarrassing themselves by all means keep on keeping on. they are doing what they love and not a lot of people get a chance to do that.

13. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

DesertHermit and Sill Nyro like this.
  14. As long as they are enjoying themselves and the audience is as well, I don't see any reason for them to retire. Who are we to presume we know better than either group.

As far as McCartney, he's been producing some of the best music of his career lately.

As far as The Who--it's a brand name that gets folks out to see T&D and keeps the music out there.

Just because some folks don't like what their doing lately doesn't mean they shouldn't continue. No one is forcing them to go and it is the artist's legacy, not ours.

15. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I'll let the artists decide.

16. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Roger Daltrey just can't cut it as far as what's passing as The Who anymore. Sad but true. PT seems to be holding up quite well, but The Who is cooked at this point, it's embarrassing

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    Jimmy B. likes this.
  17. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

I couldn't care less who retires or keeps playing or whatever. If you love doing something, you decide when to quit.

I can, however, list a few artists who don't appeal to me anymore or who only had an era or an album or set of albums that I consider to be their best.
    *Rolling Stones - I only really like the period from the late 60's to the late 70's. (Is that considered their "Golden Era"?)
    *Santana - The first for albums are mind-blowing. They lost me after Caravanserai.
    *Green Day - They hit their stride with Dookie and kept it rolling for the next two albums. Nothing has really grabbed me since Nimrod.

18. AdamChanSiuLung

AdamChanSiuLung Forum Resident

Dirk McQuickly and the Punk Floyd.

19. Redhat220

Ahhhhhh! Scary!

20. Redhat220

It may raise some eyebrows, but I have to say as a huge Kiss fan, it's just so over. 60 year old dudes in makeup, with 2 original members, with their last great studio album with all 4 of the originals being Love Gun in 77'. I think the ship has sailed.

marblesmike likes this.
  21. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Now your just being silly. Liberace died ages ago!

Redhat220 and Sean like this.
  22. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

None of them. They should keep on doing it until the money runs out if they so desire. If.
    As long as there is someone sitting there clapping at the ends of songs, more power to them.
    And I hope they hold up the insult finger to their detractors as they do it.

23. rcb30

rcb30 Fender Rhodesian

Search results for thread titles including "should retire."

These are actual people and working musicians -- an incredibly rare opportunity -- whose concerns should be what do they love to do, who do they love working with? Do they want to keep doing it and are there gigs of interest? The public can decide whether to keep supporting the current offering. If a musician wants to work and can get the work, it's not his obligation to pre-emptively decide he'll quit rather than risking some fan's comparison to him in his prime.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
    DesertHermit, Redhat220 and Sean like this.
  24. marke

marke Forum Resident

Yeah, once Bieber's voice broke that was the beginning of the end. :)

Redhat220 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.