Bands that lost just one player and lost their way

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flyingdutchman, Mar 19, 2023.

1. Jimmy Chop

Jimmy Chop Forum Resident

Yeah, The Clash after Mick left.
    Some might say Dumptruck after Kirk Swan left, but I thought they kept on ... umm ... truckin' pretty well.
    Enjoy the music!

Instant Dharma likes this.
  2. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

3. Bob Voldar

Bob Voldar Forum Resident

Jefferson Airplane after Marty Balin left.

Davmoco, Aftermath, geo50000 and 20 others like this.
  4. Babysquid

Babysquid Forum Resident

Well according to SHF members

5. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

All joking aside, I would say that they were a lesser band without Stan Lynch. I might own one album of theirs without Lynch on it.

Vsenese, supernaut, blehman and 12 others like this.
  6. Jimmy Chop

Jimmy Chop Forum Resident

Oh! Midlake is a great example.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  7. GaryHabermas

GaryHabermas Black metal will always be my first love

Arik Marshall wants a word.

tedhead and Zoot Marimba like this.
  8. Kahunasunset

Kahunasunset Forum Resident

Neil Young & Crazy Horse.
    Just doesn't have the same sound, lacking something when Poncho Sampedro left.

9. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

New Order without Peter Hook.

His bass chords, made in heaven, were often the basics of their songs. Hooky is seen (at least, by me) as one of the best bas guitarists ever, so a NO without him,...well,...:sigh:

10. Cheap Trick after Tom left

11. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Honestly, I think they had already lost their way. Pinder was in the band when they made Octave, which showed their inability to recapture the magic of their prime era following that hiatus. I loved some of their later hits (Your Wildest Dreams is a top 5 Moodies song in my book), but the consistency was gone.

My pick would be Queensryche when Chris DeGarmo left. Granted, the last album with him, Hear in the Now Frontier, was a clear drop from everything prior, but they fell even farther right after and have never recovered. Even when he came back briefly, the magic was long gone.

Runicen, Groundhog713, agundy and 2 others like this.
  12. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Except the Mick Taylor years were the best.

13. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I know they became more popular, but when John Foxx left Ultravox, so did my interest.

14. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

clearly the stones peaked after brian was not longer in the band.

15. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Wilco w/o Jay Bennett

dlemaudit, Oddity, Vsenese and 11 others like this.
  16. Luftveraenderung

Luftveraenderung Nur ich & ich & ich & Tinitus.

Ryan Adams & The Cardinals after Ryan left. The Cardinals tried to back another musician, Gin Wigmore, but quickly lost their way.

17. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Free. They were losing their way with Kossoff tbh, but they lasted, what, one album with him ailing before two moved over to Bad Company and Free were finished.

18. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Argent after Russ Ballard left
    Lovin Spoonful after Zal Yanovsky
    Blues Project after Al Kooper

Paul J, Mikewest, agundy and 3 others like this.
  19. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

'Syracuse, eh?

Since I discovered Ultravox during the early Ure era (and I do love the Foxx stuff), I'd say Cann's dismissal was important, because he was the key experimenter in the band.

20. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Faces after Ronnie Lane?

Grootna, Tom Wabe, Vsenese and 19 others like this.
  21. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I agree more with the firing of Wright. I think the Wall was great, but it more about being grander in heft than the other albums. Straight through it isn't as consistent as their albums just previous to this.

I think it's extremely rude that others have just stated that Led Zeppelin just gave up after Bonham died. I think it's more fair to say that they all agreed to band couldn't continue without him. I do think it's fair to say the members lost their way. Each went in different directions immediately after. But did they really just give up?
    Did the Beatles just give up, also? Bands end for a lot of reasons. A death is one of them. I think most of us think CCR would have left a much better legacy if they disbanding when Tom left. They didn't and they realized they should have. Continuing with something that won't work is usually the correct course of action. I doubt Page, Plant or Jones have ever thought it would have been right to continue. Even through the years and it's now been well over 40 years.

22. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

Thats an interesting one, since she contributed little in terms of playing or writing. However, Billy Corgan put a great deal of stock in her opinions and tastes, and she was pretty much the only person who could convince him that his weaker ideas sucked.

Vsenese, Aftermath, Earscape and 9 others like this.
  23. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Bruce Springsteen after dumping the E Street Band in the late 80’s. The Other Band had its moments but didn’t bring the same spark.

TonyG, davers and NoRoboGuy like this.
  24. Alex Yari

Alex Yari Forum Resident

I feel like G&R without Izzy lost something really important. Losing Slash was the coup the grace, but I think the damage was done with Izzy’s absence.

25. CalaveraJ

CalaveraJ Musical Omnivore

Metallica without Cliff Burton.

They made their absolute essential albums with him in the band. Kill em All, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are essential albums for the libraries of anyone that likes rock music. Then Cliff died.

The band continued on with a new bass player. They released an album that some regard as being as good and essential as the first three (others don't like it as much or at all). They then began releasing a steady stream of albums that may have had an occasional moment of good music but were not even kind of in the same league as the albums with Cliff.