Bands that survived the Grunge apocalypse?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zen, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Nothing new. Three of their biggest 80s hits were co-written by Desmond Child, a big name professional songwriter. How does switching from one pro writer to another decrease rock credibility?

onlyacanvasky likes this.
  2. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Nirvana's drummer is doing pretty well.

paulisdead likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm no fan, but I think it's fair to say Bon Jovi came through it fine. Especially as they were exactly the kind of band grunge was against.

To be honest I'd rather listen to Bon Jovi than most of those whining grunge bands!

Jimmy Agates and Szeppelin75 like this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

In the UK Def Leppard were seen by many as a joke during the grunge era, putting out utter crap like Let's Get Rocked and Make Love Like A Man. They get more respect now. They've done well. Def Leppard are survivors!

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  5. Delta17

Delta17 Forum Resident

Deep Purple? Sabbath? Moody Blues? Talking Grunge here right? This is like saying who survived the Reformation....Folks still digging Buddah and Jesus...
    The Dave Grohl doing well post is the first relevent post I have seen, including the OP.

Sorry. Just how I see it. DO not get it.

MudHoney never stopped. There are a ton of bands of that era still around.

BDC likes this.
  6. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Is this about old bands that released good albums post-'92? A lot of them did because they ditched '80s production sounds and kind of got back to their roots instead of trying to sound current.

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I thought it was bands who weren't affected by grunge, even though the grunge scene was supposed to finish them.

8. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

All of them. Even if it took many years, they all regained varying degrees of popularity.
    The idea that hair metal was annihilated by Grunge may have been true in the short term, but not long term.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  9. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Those songs were from Adrenalize which came out in April 92.
    The album debuted at # 1 in the states and sold 3 million quick.
    Their 92/93 tour was huge too.
    They cooled off after that but still stayed respectable.

Pouchkine likes this.
  10. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Adrenalize was also number one in the UK...Let's Get Rocked #2 on the UK charts.

11. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Based on the number of albums Marillion has put out, somebody sure as heck cares about 'em.

carlwm, Jimmy Agates and zen like this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member Thread Starter

You get it. :thumbsup:
    It's the journalists who finished off the oldie and hair metal bands, but not the musicians who "played grunge."

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  13. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

Bon Jovi seemed to do just fine, compared to other bands. Regardless of what one might think of his music, Jon Bon Jovi is fantastic at what he does. The guy knows what he’s doing.

Guns N‘ Roses went into the so-called ‘grunge’ era with ease; they had that punk rock cred about them. Very similar to Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy being embraced by the British punk scene in the late 70s. GNR imploded not because of changing tides, but because of the BS within the band.

KISS is sort of funky; they released a killer album in 1992 (Revenge), but opted to take out bands like Trixster as their support (not knocking Trixster, BTW). They were barely hanging on by a thread anyways. But on the other hand, all these new hot groups like Pearl Jam grew up with KISS and were influenced by them. And then, of course, they totally knocked it out of the park in 96 with the Reunion tour (they “shocked the people”).

As for other 70s bands that reinvented themselves in the 80s, Aerosmith did great in the 90s, and they released some of their worst music in that decade! Alice Cooper did pretty well, too (“Wayne’s World” might’ve helped him a bit), as did Ozzy.

The 80s thrash bands definitely did better in the 90s (even if the music wasn’t as good).

14. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

The OP specifically references Yes, Moody Blues and Deep Purple.....these bands were not supposed to be affected by grunge as they were not hair metal.

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I thought that too. Those bands are indestructible!

TerpStation likes this.
  16. zen

I never did mention hair metal in the opening post (see below)....just favorite bands/artists post '92.

17. Hawkwind survived just fine with a couple of very good mid-90s albums.

18. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Pretty sure they're more than happy with their lot.

19. zen

I've been meaning to explore them.

20. Jimmy Agates

The so called "grunge apocalypse" seemingly only really destroyed the grunge bands. Most bands that were around before were still around after including the "hair" bands.

21. Jimmy Agates

This maybe the case in your tiny part of the world but many of these bands still command decent crowds in Europe/UK/Australia...sure not arenas but good sized clubs playing to rabid fans on an almost nightly basis.

Probably need to look at the bigger picture before being some sort of expert.

22. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Bon Jovi.

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I live in a metro area of 4.2M people. Before that I lived in a larger metro with 6.2M people. Same story there. Washed up bands playing burnout clubs. Maybe you have hair band festivals there or something? Or are those "good sized clubs" just little burnout clubs? What is the capacity? Other than the few outliers like Crue and such the average hair band can't get a gig here at the larger downtown clubs, but a group like the Damned or the Buzzcocks can, and those are cult acts here in the U.S. They play larger venues and festivals in Europe and Asia too.

24. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Correct. Just look at what happend to Nu-Metal years later. Limp Bizkit didn't need a new form of music to kill their career.

patient_ot likes this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I liked Hysteria and Adrenalize at the time, but can't listen to those albums anymore. The first three albums still get the occasional play from me and have held up reasonably well for what they are (notwithstanding dated production on Pyro). No idea what they sound like now.

Man at C&A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.