Bands that were huge and then disliked*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

The likes of Iron Maiden, GNR and many heavy metal bands in the mid 90’s, they were about as popular as a fart in a spacesuit.

Thanks to Kurt Cobain.

2. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

GNR probably suffered the least from grunge besides Metallica. People forget how huge November Rain was on MTV at the time, we're talking Thriller and Vogue level big. Axl's ego and the band essentially self imploding is what did them in.

Fullbug likes this.
  3. Ghost of Ziggy

True but by 1993 they were overexposed by the time of The Spaghetti Incident album they were very unfashionable.

4. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

With whom?

5. Ghost of Ziggy

The music buying public.

Christian Hill likes this.
  6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Grand Funk were your meat and potatoes, down to earth, honest basic rock band. Some solid albums (the red one).
    The problem with them IMHO were their lack of a true masterpiece, unfashionable image, and the preachy and patronizing lyrics. Always seemed that Mark Farmer was giving you lessons or yelling at you, like a father or teacher. No please

sbsugar likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Spaghetti" was a half-assed collection of covers produced essentially just to get product on the shelves.

It still went to #4 in the US and sold more than a million copies.

If that's "unfashionable", a lot of bands would kill to be that "unfashionable"!

manybiscuits, Jmac1979 and dmiller458 like this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Absolutely not as America developed blues, R&B, soul, funk, and, most importantly for this conversation, rock music. It all originated here first. Now, that said, I probably like more British music than I do American. But that's a stupid comment by Stuart Adamson (RIP).

soarer29 and dmiller458 like this.
  9. Ghost of Ziggy

They were seen as an embarrassment, I lived through it. They had been overexposed to the public though the Illusion tour, grunge made them obsolete very quickly. Effectively ending the band.

Christian Hill likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

I lived through it too. if grunge had made them "obsolete", "Spaghetti" wouldn't have sold - the album came out in late 1993, well after the "grunge revolution" had swept aside a lot of the 80s bands.

Maybe - just maybe - we have different perspectives based on the fact you're in the UK and I'm in the US? :shh:

11. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

Guns N Poses peaked with their first album

12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Guns N Roses like most glam metal, were unfashionable by the mid 1990s. I was there.

I would disagree on Iron Maiden, though. They had already started to slip popularity-wise around 1990. Nothing to do with Cobain or grunge, more to do with the popularity of Metallica, Megadeth and Slayer. Bruce leaving was the final nail, at least in the USA.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    GodShifter likes this.
  13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

not to mention Jazz.

soarer29 and GodShifter like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Sure - "AfD" is still the main reason they can tour stadiums. Creatively and commercially, it's the king.

But it's not like they faded into obscurity after "AfD". The "UYI" albums were very successful in their own right - and I'd argue that without those, they wouldn't be able to play stadiums circa 2019.

Yeah, "AfD" is the main reason, but GnR needs a broader catalog to sell 50,000 tickets per show. Without "UYI", I think they'd be in much smaller venues...

15. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I was there too but I don't recall G&R ever being "fashionable". :laugh:

Fullbug likes this.
  16. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

And bluegrass, and psychedelia, and folk rock and surf and Go Go and funk and Cajun etc. etc.

17. dmiller458

It was drugs and egos that ended the band, not overexposure.

Fullbug likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Maiden always had a die hard fan base that really wasn't affected by trends or anything else. I'd equate them to Rush in that regard. Whatever the band did, the fans were receptive except the Blaze Bailey years where they definitely faltered and that period may well have coincided with the grunge period. I'm not sure.

19. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yeah, they did have a solid base, but I remember Seventh Son was not considered a classic on release, and they kind of slipped with casual fans after that. I don't think that any of that was related to Grunge.

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, that's where I bailed with them. Good point.

21. dmiller458

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I can't speak for England but on this side, nah, never happened. Grunge had no impact on that band what so ever. I was there and they were co-existing along side grunge bands. Their last tour ended a just under a year before Kurt died and by the time Kurt died, IMO, grunge was on it's last legs anyway. Had G n R not had their interpersonal issues, they'd have continued recording together.

By the time I got to England in August 1994, grunge felt like it had happened a decade earlier. Then, Oasis took over. :)

dmiller458 likes this.
  23. dmiller458

Grunge was already over when The X Factor came out in 95.

GodShifter likes this.
  24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

As others have pointed out Iron Maiden, by the time grunge hit, were already out of flavour, at least in North American and Europe. Grunge didn't do much of anything other than cement that out of flavourness.

GNR was not impacted by grunge at all. When grunge was peaking GnR were still huge.

I do agree that, GnR were in a shambles at that point, but that had more to do with interpersonal issues than with grunge. I think if they had overcome that, and been able to manager their drinking and drug taking, they'd have to continued recording together for a while longer and done alright.

25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

True, but like I said, I think the slide started pre-grunge. I do not recall much excitement over the release of the album in 1990, and that was before grunge. Seventh Son was the last album I bought by them when new, up until when Bruce came back.

GodShifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.