Bands that were huge and then disliked*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Terrance Trent D’Arby

2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

For me, personally... I rarely, if ever, go back on something I like - if I like it, I like it for life!

But one stand-out is Foo Fighters - I LOVED that second album of theirs, and I played the hell out of it back when it came out. And then each album, to me, was progressively worse and worse, till now, where I'm just utterly bored by the band, and can't be bothered to listen to them ever again. They've just grown so innocuous and, I guess "corporate", like they're the modern-day equivalent of a band like Boston... robotic, going through the motions with no genuine heart or soul.

3. ktg807

ktg807 Forum Resident

Kings of Leon, Interpol

willwin likes this.
  4. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

Really? Foo Fighters are the new Nickleback, Dave the new Chad. Everyone knows that.

Chip Z and Actuarybrad like this.
  5. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

So are the Foo's officially Huge and Hated?

6. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

As a diehard Queen fan, I’m waiting for the “Lambert/biopic era” backlash any time now. Been a loyal Queen dork since Wayne’s World put them front and center (I was 11), and they’re bigger here now with more hype behind them than in years.

Jarleboy and willwin like this.
  7. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

The Beach Boys, a big deal even before the Beatles hit U.S. shores, lost their cool factor in the late 60s, only to be resurrected as a nostalgia act in the 70s after American Graffiti and Endless Summer.

Phil12 and willwin like this.
  8. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Also, I think folks have come back around on Phil Collins. I’d say that 21st century music fans have, at the very least, gone back and discovered earlier Genesis - that Phil was a fantastic drummer well before No Jacket Required.

But No Jacket Required is pretty solid on its own.

He was just everywhere for too long. He knew it and dialed it back. I’m glad he’s touring again, even if it proves to be a victory lap.

9. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

No they don’t...nice try.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  10. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Stevie Wonder

One of the greatest ever and then we got Ebony and Ivory and I Just Called to Say I Love You, which were of course, unforgivable.

"Rob? Top five musical crimes perpetrated by Stevie Wonder in the 80s and 90s?"

PhoenixWoman, 4Ever, DavidD and 7 others like this.
  11. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Who?

porieux likes this.
  12. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I think the Dixie Chicks fit the criteria more than anyone mentioned so far.

It's too bad too. I really like the Dixie Chicks. I saw them post-fall-out as warm-up for the Eagles (2011 or 2012?). Had the Chicks done a longer set they would have stolen the show from the Eagles.

13. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

I have never met a Foo Fighters fan. Or a Nickleback fan.

Motorcity supernaut and DavidD like this.
  14. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

Well said. The same can be said for Nickleback and the Foo Fighters etc.

Chip Z and londonflash like this.
  15. Monsterzero

Monsterzero Down at Dino's Bar & Grill

While not technically huge,the switch from the "next big thing" to universally loathed happened rather swiftly for Greta Van Fleet.
    I get the Zeppelin ripoff thing but theres a lot of bands out there today who are case studies in Sabbath and Thin Lizzy worship,yet nobody seems to have a problem with those bands.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  16. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

I was never a Creed fan, but at some point Stapp decided he was the second coming of Jim Morrison and that really turned me off to them.

17. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

So you must not get out of your house much, lol.

18. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Pearl Jam comes to mind.

Motorcity supernaut likes this.
  19. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Again, this comes down to what you're evaluating — the critics or the public.

After the Smile debacle and the underwhelming Smiley Smile, The Beach Boys definitely were dismissed by the critics for a couple of years. But Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl and the Passions (So Tough) and Holland all got good critical reviews (the third in the series somewhat less so). And though it didn't happen at the time, Wild Honey, Friends and 20/20 now are favorably considered as well. In addition, critics praised The Beach Boys as a concert act in the first half of the 1970s.

As for the public, the "Darlin'" and "Do It Again" singles were Top 20. But then there was a fallow period until, as you say, the nostalgia factor returned.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Not to my mind.

21. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I wasn't around then, but my understanding is that they were seen as very uncool in 1968-1969.

ianuaditis likes this.
  22. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I have no opinion on either band.

But your idea that your own limited personal experience must surely stand as something we can take as universal seems a wee bit…well, everyone can fill in their own adjective here.

24voltsdc and Mike D'Aversa like this.
  23. RMD

RMD Forum Resident

I get out plenty, trust me. More than you I am guessing just by you posting that, lol.

24. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I don't feel any different about them than I did in 1995 personally...but they seem to be increasingly used
    as a 'punch line' by the rock press this decade.

25. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Again, it all depends on who's doing the "seeing." Generally, these years probably were their nadir for both public and critical acclaim. But the critical tide, at least in some quarters, definitely began to turn with Sunflower.

Though to be fair, ascribing one universal view that stands for every single listener or critic to any artist mentioned in this thread seems a little dangerous to me.

Lightworker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.