Bands that were huge and then disliked*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I lived in Des Moines for four years. How would they find enough non-caucasians to have a jazz fest...:confused:
    (one assumes it was sponsored by a golf club...)

Lightworker, willwin and mbrownp1 like this.
  2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I have checked the thread topic, thanks.

The key phrases in this discussion are both right in front of your nose in our respective posts: "determining anything meaningful on a large scale" and "in my experience."

As the children's song goes, "One of these things is not like the other."

It's fine that we're having a general discussion in here based on anecdotal evidence. But you have repeatedly sought to prove your contention that "nobody likes Nickleback or Foo Fighters" by citing the views of yourself and the small number of people in your circle of friends. Even expanding this to a few more people in this thread will not yield anything close to a significant statistical percentage.

Do you really need it explained to you that these small numbers are an infinitesimally tiny percentage of the total listeners in the world?

3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Dave Brubeck covers only.

DavidD and Lownote30 like this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Anybody want some mayo on your mayo sandwich...?

mbrownp1 and willwin like this.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

But their sales drop off corresponded with the collapse of rock in general. I mean for a rock band to even still put out platinum records during this decade shows they were maintaining a pretty strong following.

Diamond Dog likes this.
  6. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

For sure, and they still have said following - I didn't think about how acts like for example Nickleback or really most of the nu metal era bands (save for SOAD but they aren't hated) that were quoted don't actually sell records anymore, while Linkin Park absolutely had monster singles as late as... well, a month or two before their singer passed away.

seed_drill likes this.
  7. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

And this is a reason for hate him..??

Jarleboy and robcar like this.
  8. FWIW, I grew up and came of age in the Nickelback / Creed / mid-Foo Fighters era, so, although I am not a fan and I do not like all of everything these bands have done - I will admit to listening to all of them a lot at certain points in my life.

Worth considering that in rural south Georgia (where I grew up) and in pre-Internet times not everyone was automatically cool and loved all the "best" bands. We did the best we could with what was presented to us.

24voltsdc and willwin like this.
  9. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Married couples in the 35-40 range love them it seems. I don't know any fan who wasn't a teen in the late 90s and isn't married, but every straight married couple I know in that range travel to his concerts

10. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Yes!

11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

"Hate," in the context of this thread, means to deride, not to literally hate.

Dudley Morris and willwin like this.
  12. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I literally hate him for it.

13. lester christgau

lester christgau Forum Resident

This thread makes me so happy.

Dave Matthews, U2, Phil Collins, Creed, limp Bizkit...

They are all so terrible and have inflicted far too much misery upon people with decent musical taste for so long. Karma exists.

Foo Fighters doesn’t surprise me at all. I thought they were decent 20 years ago but they have absolutely morphed into THE band you know Kurt would hate. Boring, generic, crappy corporate rock aimed at backwards hat wearing d-bags. God definitely has a good sense of humor.

14. drumandguitar

drumandguitar Forum Resident

U2, Foo Fighters, Coldplay. I think the best way to sum these type of bands is dad rock. It's a perception that they are producing 'comfortable', cliched rock music for the masses that disgusts people who want their music (rock in my case) to push some boundaries, be a little bit angry, not to appeal to the lowest common denominator, dare I say it, be a little hard to get into, be my own little secret. Their earlier material was genuinely superb, but as they have developed they have settled on a formula for writing and recording music that starts to appeal to your Uncle Knobhead sitting there in his Wranglers, or the cardigan wearing lady in the typing pool at work, you know, the one who thought Ed Sheeran invented the singer/songwriter concept, and my god, he can even play an instrument. The fire that they may have once had in their belly has long died, but while it makes everyone loads of cash no one close to them is willing to tell them. They therefore become a parody of themselves, and we get to slag them off on SHF.

JoshD, Chip Z, Jarvis and 1 other person like this.
  15. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

I like Face Value

And I think U2 had post punk records so I'm not saying anything until I hear that.

willwin likes this.
  16. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

Uncle Knobhead were huge in the 90s and now nobody cares about them at all :)

CassetteDek and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  17. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

It's ironic when there is so much hate and vitriol from those who deem themselves hip, when quite a lot of these "unhip" bands and artists make more people happy in the span of one day, than the super-hip critics will make in a near-infinite number of lifetimes.

LRP99, Ryan_Pretzel, DorothyV and 2 others like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Perhaps, but this definitely was a much smaller audience.

And they still went to "hated", even if they compensated slightly with a different crowd...

19. Oatsdad

I don't recall any obvious change in Pearl Jam fandom post-2012! :shrug:

Lightworker likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

So why do the Foos continue to grow their audience if there's "nothing there for a lot of people at this point"? :confused:

BluesOvertookMe and intv7 like this.
  21. Oatsdad

I think there was a definite Frampton backlash due to "I'm In You" and the "Sgt. Pepper's" debacle...

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Moderators, these hate threads, should they be allowed? I really don't know. Anyone else, yes or no?

23. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Metallica took it on the chin due mostly to the Napster debacle, when they were one of the only major acts that had the guts to call the whole thing out. They were right, but they lost a new generation of fans for quite some time for taking the stance that they did. Decline in quality was also a factor. Despite their misteps, aside from a vocal group of malcontents, Metallica has mostly rebounded as one of the best known legacy rock acts still active.

backtomono likes this.
  24. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Hate as a term has its meaning. IMO the thread title should be changed.

Spaghettiows likes this.
  25. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

No. Brings out the worst in some people.

FACE OF BOE, Zeki and bvb1123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.