Bands you want to like but can't get past the lead singer's voice

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dark_Matter, Dec 16, 2021.

1. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

never heard around me this opinion!! damon is a great singer for me!!!

2. Zack

Zack Senior Member

You find his band great tho? ;)

3. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Normally , if I don't want the voice of the lead singer, I don't like the band either.

4. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Agree about Hogarth. Gets a bit much after a while.

Komakino___ likes this.
  5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

These Denton kids were a fun band:

Scooby and joy stinson like this.
  6. thefxc

thefxc Forum Resident

Midnight Configuration is a decent vocalist away from being a top-tier goth band. They don’t even need a good vocalist per se, just one who isn’t absolutely ridiculous

7. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

+1
    I probably would have really liked Guns N' Roses.......

Kundalini, Jonny W and joy stinson like this.
  8. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Tiny Tim shreds a mean uke, but that voice is a dealbreaker.

9. Sabbath will always, rightly, be associated with Ozzy first, Dio second and everyone else down the line.

Tom Holiday and Dark_Matter like this.
  10. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

But if you want to like the band, but don’t care for Ozzy there are a LOT of good albums for you to enjoy.

11. souldeep69

souldeep69 Forum Resident

I am probably the only person who will say this, but the main singer in Blink 182 is pretty much the only reason I can't stand them.
    The co-lead singer actually has a fantastic voice and I enjoy hearing him.

12. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Although I'm a big Megadeth fan, I feel this way about the last few albums, because of the effects ageing has had on Dave's voice as the 2000s have progressed. It's as if he stays in a monotonous growly range for most of the songs and they all sound very similar. I think production-wise, he got the most out of his voice on the "Countdown To Extinction" album, where his intensity builds to impressive effect on tracks like "Sweating Bullets" and "Captive Honour". When they played that album in full live a few years back they had to transpose it down and it just didn't sound right. It's kind of sad really. Singing like that on so many tours probably made it inevitable.

13. MythosDreamLab

MythosDreamLab Forum Resident

cough, cough, rush...

14. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

Same here!

davebush likes this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Pompous foghorn is what I feel about Eddie Vedder's voice, but that's nice too.

16. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

The Smiths

Kundalini and Tom Holiday like this.
  17. Digital Ghost

Digital Ghost My dog won't bite if you sit real still

Smokey Robinson and most falsetto singing males. Just sounds odd and whiney to me. Even worse is Savage Garden (but I don't actually like their music either).

18. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

I still like them, but Wishbone Ash had pretty mediocre vocalists. Also all the Faces tunes with Ronnie Lane on vocals instead of Rod Stewart.

19. Whipping Guitar

Whipping Guitar Tush or Tusk

Lighthouse Family

I always felt the singer's voice lacked soul and emotion. Like he was bored. Their songs are ok-ish but I cannot like the group at all.

Digital Ghost likes this.
  20. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

This really goes for this entire thread, but I don't really think anyone can call themselves a music fan who dismisses the entire 40-year career of a band on account of the singers voice. I just can't take anyone like that seriously.

Do you all really think that, "duh.....let me point out that Geddy Lee and Bob Dylan and Eddie Vedder have funny voices" is either clever or original?

21. MythosDreamLab

I can't take a person seriously who dedicated their entire life and screen name to ONE BAND. Fact is, I saw Rush at a taping of a Don Kirschner Rock Concert just as they released their FIRST album.

I've been to a couple of hundreds concerts and have owned at least 5k albums over the last 60 years and I think (I guess YOU don't), that earns me the right to pick and choose who I like and who I don't..

And not only am I sorry that - that bothers you, I am MORE sorry that you felt the need to come at me, now go worship your hero's and let me listen to and like who I want...

Thanks

Kundalini likes this.
  22. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

Kings of Leon

Kundalini likes this.
  23. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Says the guy whose screen name is from a single ALBUM. Did you hit your head hard before you came in here....?

24. MythosDreamLab

Thank you for your concern of my head, it's fine, though, I don't listen to head-banging music, like Rush, you wear helmets?.

I realize that you are having to work extra hard with insults, that is typical of the extreme Rush fan, not sure if therapy would help, but you may want to check into that.

And as to my screen name, not sure if your read or even fully comprehended the part where I stated I've own/owned over 5,000 albums, DreamLab is just one of them and besides some idiot had already taken 2112...lol

Kundalini likes this.
  25. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Things must be a bit slow in Megadon.