Bangladesh by George Harrison

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by backintheussr, Jan 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

then some of us still feel it's an A grade song :)

2. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

It's what he walked away from Badfinger to do, wasn't it?

3. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

So what was the deal with the version of "Bangla Desh" on the reissue of Living In The Material World? I feel like I remember the liner notes saying it was remixed? Was it indeed?

tug_of_war likes this.
  4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

OK, poor choice of words on my part.

2141, JamieC and quicksrt like this.
  5. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

Leon Russell makes the song, I think. The piano playing is my favorite part of the song.

2141 and Somerset Scholar like this.
  6. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I wish there was an acoustic demo of this somewhere.

Maybe it'll be released on Early Takes Vol. 2 in about 100 years time.

2141, Arnold Grove and Jerry Horne like this.
  7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I love it. Aesthetically, it's got a great melody (a given for Harrison at this time), and it rocks. Some can argue it's maudlin, except that George's emotion is obviously real. As with "My Sweet Lord," he wasn't afraid to put his heartfelt sentiments out there.

As readers of I Me Mine know, he wrote it at Leon Russell's suggestion of a theme song/prep song for the upcoming concerts that encapsulated the message.

Have no idea what's awful or comical about the intro. Without it, the song would be like one big chorus.
    And this line: "though I couldn't feel the pain, I knew I had to try" ~ the world can always use more of that.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    tdgrnwld, blutiga, cmcintyre and 8 others like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Feeling optimistic today, ehh? ;)

2141 and Haristar like this.
  9. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

It’s more of a story song than Harrison usually did, but it works in that context.

2141 likes this.
  10. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

11. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

When this single was released, it was the first new music we'd heard from George since ATMP. It didn't disappoint. It was also the first time George had written and recorded a song of his own in LA. Later of course he was to record an entire album there.

Brother Maynard and blutiga like this.
  12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It certainly says that it's remixed. However, it's very subtle, to the point where it just sounds like it was remastered. I honestly can't spot any difference in the mix.

13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

For a long time, the only version I knew was in the concert film (and record). I LOVED the song when I heard it in that version. Still do. The studio version is not as strong, in my opinion.

linclink likes this.
  14. I dig the studio version, but agree the live version is just that much more amazing!!!
    Cool B-side too!

Ironically it's probably my least favorite Harrison song, of the 8 he's primarily featured on from "The Concert For Bangladesh", but it's still great (consider the competition - 3 late period Beatles songs & 4 from "All Things Must Pass"!!)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    blutiga and 2141 like this.
  15. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

You were right to dump her.

16. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

He’s confusing it with Lewisohn’s book.

17. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

It's got the great Phil Spector sound from that era, so of course it's great!

18. Cachiva

Cachiva Forum Resident

I have always liked this song, and my only criticism is that
    if its purpose was to make people aware of a serious crisis
    in a faraway land, why did he compose a melody which
    forces him to sing Ban-gala-desh? Mispronouncing the
    name of the country over and over continues to bug me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

aphexj likes this.
  19. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Not a bad song. I agree that the piano drives it. Like the brass too.
    Vocals sound a tad strained but passionate about the message.
    Graded B-.

20. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

:righton:

There are some people around here that seemingly take any opportunity to try and downgrade anything and everything Harrison music related. It's like an alternate reality world. I think this is a great sounding record. Nothing particularly murky at all, and it's filled with stellar playing. It has interesting chord changes, with a horn arrangement that helps build and propel the emotion of it.

Death and despair aren't particular topics of hit-bound singles, or singing about a country and situation that many people had never even heard of before. So big surprise it wasn't a huge hit. I never heard the song on the radio at all during that time, the first I heard the song was when I went to see the film when it was released to theaters. I didn't learn there had been a studio version until long afterward. That all has nothing to do with the quality of the song, or the record for my ears. I actually much prefer the studio version over the live version.

Give Me Love was a big hit, but I think this record is much more musically interesting and appealing.

21. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I couldn't get enough of this song, hearing it first on AM radio when it came out. The "quiet", spiritual Beatle releases a message song - cool! It was a continuation of a fantastic string of ex-Beatles singles during the period 1970-1971.

Brother Maynard and blutiga like this.
  22. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident

The flip, “Deep Blue,” is one of my favorite GH records, along with “Let It Down,” “Be Here Now” and the wonderful “Mo.”

Haristar likes this.
  23. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Jeez, "Mo"... why wasn't it released as a single? That it still hasn't been officially released is a crime.

tdgrnwld and Maidenpriest like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.