$$$ Bargain 5CD sets !!!

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by moops, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moops

moops Senior Member Thread Starter

2. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

If you dont have the Ellington Mosaic, that is probably a good one to get.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

As imports, they are expensive on amazon.com.

4. It comes out to about $25 shipped to the US, not bad, as the equivilent set from Amazon US costs about $30 shipped.

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Some of the US AM sellers have them cheaper. I tried to order a set from the UK, but amazon's system wouldn't let me. But I found a seller in Calif. I've e-mailed him. I'll let you know what his price is if you're interested.

6. I have the Pretenders 5CD set. All these sets are very 'no frills' packaging. An outer slipcase holds each disc which comes in a very basic cardboard sleeve replicating the original album cover. There are no inserts, lyric sheets or protection for the disc which is just slotted into the cardbord sleeve. As far as the Pretenders set is concerned, I'm unsure what mastering was used for Pretenders I & II as I gave these two to my sister without listening to them - I already own the Rhino remasters. The other three in the set sound good to my ears. Most of these sets are available here in New Zealand cheap. I paid $NZ21 at a bargain store, so well worth picking up IMHO.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Looks like Warner is copying the idea that Sony had with their '5 CD' Collections that came out recently....although IMO Sony did a better job in that they put in the latest Legacy versions which included the bonus tracks (if the title had a previous legacy version)...doesnt look like Warner did that even though they own Rhino and could have easily used their versions in the boxes.

8. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I noticed in the Los Lobos set that they include the "And a Time to Dance" ep, which has never been available on CD in the US.

9. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

It seems that the Foreigner set DOES include the Rhino remasters with bonuses (see tracklisting), and I'm not so sure if this is a good deal...

10. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Most of them plus Original Album Classics sets are available on Amazon US for similar prices from 3rd parties. Some are cheaper. I got the Monkees 5-CD set for $21.43 + $2.98 shipping. I guess they're worth that. (I've ordered from orpheusentertainment before with good results)

Original Album Series: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Original+Album+Series

Original Album Classics: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...lbum+classics&sprefix=Original+Album+Classics

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Strange because for example the Echo & The Bunnymen set doesn't have the extra tracks...you'd think they would either use the rhino versions on all or none.

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

That's worth the price of admission on it's own:cheers:

13. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

I don't see any Mosiacs here.

Does anyone know if the latest mastering is used on this Columbia 5 disc Monk set?

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes on the Monk.

I believe the poster about Ellington was going to say that if you don't have the OOP Ellington Reprise Mosaic set, you will find much of the same material in the Ellington set just out.

15. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Ah, thanks. That makes sense.

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The Spinners set includes "New And Improved," the Spinners 3rd Atlantic album, which has been out of print for a few years now.

17. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

You never know for sure with such low-end packagings like these - is there any 'logic' or just some [weird] last-minute decisions...

18. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Yep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.