Barnes & Noble in-store Bl. Fri. music deals?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Black Elk, Nov 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

Thanks for all the tips on this great sale! My favorite scavenger-hunt surprise was It's Hard by avant garde jazz trio The Bad Plus - it's a 2016 all-covers album featuring wild, inventive takes on Peter Gabriel's "Games Without Frontiers," Kraftwerk's "The Robots," Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over" and Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line," among others. The 180-gram pressing by Music on Vinyl is quiet, warm and sounds fabulous - it will be one of my 'this is why I prefer vinyl' showcases for friends from now on

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    hutlock and dee like this.
  2. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

You would think. Even at 50% some of the titles aren’t that great of a deal. At 25% I can find better deals elsewhere.

marcb, hutlock and Shawn like this.
  3. dee

dee Senior Member

They should be able to home deliver that to you. Grace Under Pressure, Presto, Hold Your Fire, and perhaps Signals may also be available. Must be over $25 for the shipping.

Still lots of stock and some good artist and titles available at just the 1 store I went to. Purchased in-store for a home delivery for a Bowie, 2LP Hendrix, and a Rush - $40 total.

Almost walked out with Iggy Pop's Post Pop Depression LP but I have my eye on a few more titles yet for one last in-store mail order.

Jspmike likes this.
  4. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Some Elliot Smith moved in at 50% when I stopped by Thursday.
    I picked up Dropkick Murphys 11 Short Stories Of Pain and Glory and The Decemberists What A Terrible World, What A Beautiful World on Friday.
    I think I will get Tumbleweed Connection since I have heard it is a good pressing.

These albums are a steal at 50 percent off. I am 57 years old and plan on retiring in 5 years God willing, better to stock up now when I am still working full time.

I live only about three miles away from my Barnes and Noble.

I noticed that the new CD releases shelf was taken down...I think there will be 50% sale on CDs coming very soon this year.

puffyrock2, dee and Jspmike like this.
  5. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

A lot sold at my store. We had four aisles of LPs before the sale now it is down to three.

Jspmike likes this.
  6. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

My locations do not seem to be adding any more titles to 50% off. Plus, it doesn't look like anyone really buying what's left, especially the soundtracks. I wish somebody would buy all those Don Henley solo lps. Im just tired of looking at them when I go to the stroe :unhunh:

Collapsed Lung and dee like this.
  7. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Had my first visit to a B&N where I walked away empty handed since this sale started. Such mixed feelings! This was a store not too far from me but one I just hadn't managed to stop at yet. Very slim pickings that I didn't come close to having to talk myself into buying any.

mur likes this.
  8. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I went back to the store near me this weekend. Picked up:

- Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights (Chris Bellman)

- Superchunk - What A Time To Be Alive (B&N Exclusive - Includes poster signed by the band)

- George Harrison - Living In The Material World
    Lousy mastering

I noticed a few things sold like Beck, Björk, John Prine. This store didn’t really have a great selection to begin with. Much of what’s left at 50% is damaged or resealed returns.

[​IMG]

dee and superstar19 like this.
  9. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I had the same experience at my local store yesterday. It doesn't look like they've sold much at all since I was there a week and a half ago.

10. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Our local B&N closed years ago, but I was in Flagstaff, AZ for a few days recently and checked out the store there.

Flag is a college town and as such the selection was generally pretty picked over, but I walked out with Wilco - Schmilco ($11) and Lucinda Williams - Ghosts of Highway 20 ($14).

dee and black sheriff like this.
  11. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover Thread Starter

Sounds like a plan Reginald Perrin would think up for his Grot shops!! :D

black sheriff, mrjinks and hutlock like this.
  12. Scott Strobel

Scott Strobel Forum Resident

Picked up the reissue of Decade by Neil Young for $20.06 out the door.

13. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I had manifested U2's "War" to the store I work at and I happily purchased it yesterday for 50% off! I also put out some Foo Fighters and Bob Marley albums out on the sales floor and they were gone within a few hours so people are still hunting at my Barnes and Noble.

14. Collapsed Lung

Collapsed Lung Forum Resident

...I popped into the B&N in Union Square (Manhattan) yesterday. A handful of new things were added, but nothing particularly exciting. At this point it looks like pretty slim pickings, unless corporate urges stores to continue marking down regular inventory.

I almost bought this too -- is the mastering terrible? An original copy is still pretty cheap, so I held off.

At the beginning of the year all the Manhattan stores did a 30% off of all CDs...not sure if this was chain-wide or not.

black sheriff likes this.
  15. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I think the remaster of Living in the Material World is very good. Beats original vinyl issues.

16. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I listened to the first side and wasn’t impressed. I’ll give it another try. Do a forum search, you’ll see that some others weren’t impressed either.

I don’t have an original. I’ll give this one another shot. Maybe my stylus was dirty. :shrug:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    joelee and Collapsed Lung like this.
  17. dee

dee Senior Member

Haven't seen any 50% off Marley titles at the 5 stores within easy travel distance of me. I did see you listed 3 titles upthread. I prefer to have vimtage issues of Marley and have all 3 titles but at that price and 'like new' those 3 are a bargain.

Jspmike likes this.
  18. dee

dee Senior Member

I've had that 1 in my hands a few times and foolishly put it back. Tried to show some restraint lol.

Jspmike likes this.
  19. Jspmike

Jspmike Forum Resident

I’ve bought one of them in the sale! I’m trying to convince myself that I’ve been showing some restraint but know I’m failing!!!

dee likes this.
  20. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

5 stores in Broward? That's a lot of driving. You must be retired.

21. Scott Strobel

Scott Strobel Forum Resident

Lol! I know how that feels about restraint! It was the only album I bought from there. Best bang for the buck I thought as it being a triple album.
    Looking forward to spinning it soon!

Jspmike and dee like this.
  22. dee

dee Senior Member

Ha! No but between work and home locations it's been a fun lol gettting around and a good browse!

Jspmike and black sheriff like this.
  23. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

That album with the girl whose head is full of cigarettes is plentiful at B&N.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  24. dee

dee Senior Member

I've been pleased with most of the Springsteen vinyl titles. Both price and sound, pressing, etc. Do you know if Working On A Dream is part of the 50% sale? The in-store pay-first and free ship to home address has worked really well so far.

Jspmike likes this.
  25. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Neko Case and yes, it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.