Barry White Suffers Stroke - Hospitalized

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MagicAlex, May 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus Thread Starter

And yet more troubling news of failing health in the music world:

Barry White Suffers Stroke

by Marcus Errico
    May 16, 2003, 5:25 PM PT

Barry White's baritone pipes have provided the soundtrack for many a make-out session over the past four decades. Now comes word the deep-voiced funkster has suffered a stroke which has impaired his speech.

It's the latest health woe for the 58-year-old soul man, who announced last fall that he needed a kidney transplant after years of battling high blood pressure.

Speaking at a press conference in Los Angeles Friday, White's daughter, Shaheara, said her father suffered the stroke while undergoing dialysis treatment for his kidney failure.

"My dad had surgery May 1 to place a catheter in his arm," she told reporters, according to wire reports. "He had a stroke...that affected his speech and the right side of his body, but he is in great spirits."

But she also insisted that the stroke was "a minor setback," adding, "have no fear, he'll be fine. He will definitely be performing again."

The singer, who has been ailing since 1999, needs to be stablilized before he can receive a new kidney, his daughter said.

Known for warbling such get-it-on hits as "Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe," "You're the First, the Last, My Everything," "Your Sweetness Is My Weakness," "It's Ecstasy When You Lay Down Next to Me," "I'm Gonna Love You, Just a Little More Baby" and "Love's Theme," White has had worldwide sales in excess of 100 million. He's also chalked up 106 gold albums, 41 platinum albums, 20 gold singles and 10 platinum singles.

White won his first two Grammys for his last studio album, 1999's Staying Power. He boasts an illustrious musical track record. All that and he saved Springfield, the hometown of The Simpsons, in the fourth season episode "Whacking Day," using his trademark vocals to solve the town's serpent problem.

In happier news, the Los Angeles City Council voted unanimously on Wednesday to rename a recreation center in the city's South Park neighborhood after White, who was born in Texas but grew up in the area.

2. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

my prayers are with him....

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Very sad indeed - my thought and prayers are with him. I'm sorry to hear that it has affected his right hand side - in a way I was very relieved when I had my stroke that it affected my left hand side because I was never going to be an acrobat.

All the best and get well soon Barry - Andrew

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That's sad - hopefully he'll eventually be OK.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Our prayers go out to him...My wife and Mom love Barry!

6. AKA

AKA Senior Member

That's horrible. Here's to a speedy recovery.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

This is sad news, indeed. I wish him the best.

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Man this is terrible news.
    My thoughts and prayers to Barry and his family.
    Dan C

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

My sister told me something about this weeks ago--she read it in a tabloid publication like the Enquirer or Star. Since I don't take much stock in such stories, I was skeptical and made no mention of it. But apparently it's true. This is more bad news, now that it's verified. Thoughts and prayers go out to Barry and his family. His autobiography is well worth reading--a fascinating life, and what really comes through is his confidence in himself and his ability: he knew he was going to make it somehow, and did. Some great anecdotes, but way too short, and not enough behind-the-scenes nitty gritty. Maybe he was just too nice a guy to dish dirt?

ED:cool:

10. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Barry is very cool--and that voice! Every radio announcer in the last 30 years has wanted Barry's voice. He is gifted...here's to a complete recovery!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.