Basic consumer just wants an affordable DAP

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Booker_Table, May 13, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Booker_Table

Booker_Table Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all! Just did not know where else to go after a long search. Here's hoping some of the wise heads here can help me out.

I've been searching for some time for a new Digital Audio Player. (I'd reveal my utter basicness and use the generic "MP3 player," but among the file formats on my existing player are MP3, MP4, FLAC, WMA, etc., so DAP it is -- I'm capable of learning, is what I mean.) The reason I've been looking around is these new earbuds I recently received, Between Pro from Status Audio; I was one of the early bird backers of their crowdfunding campaign, and they do not disappoint from an audio perspective. I dig the you-are-there sensation I now get from music and movies, the built-in mics are crystal clear, and while being directly in-ear is an adjustment given I tended to prefer classic earphones in the past, it's not a massive learning curve at all.

However, while they connected seamlessly to my desktop and my cell phone, they did not connect to my present DAP, a Philips GoGear Ariaz [SA5AZU16KF/37, to be specific]. The Between Pros are Bluetooth 5.2 and, though I'm allegedly not supposed to have trouble connecting them with prior versions of Bluetooth, they would not pair with that if my life depended upon it. Into the bargain, my Philips is aging out; recently, I had it fully charged and went for a rather short walk, less than an hour, and the battery was drained by the end of that leisurely stroll.

So the search began, and I rapidly discovered that everything that isn't an Amazon listing that lies about the contents (found a lot of those just by being that one guy who actually reads reviews) is, at least to this non-audiophile basic-ass consumer, crazy expensive in this era of streaming from any device rather than a dedicated one. It's like they either think it'll have a vinyl-sized comeback, or have adjusted their pricing to knee-cap people who actually want their product because they're the only game left and that means they can charge whatever they like (more likely). Anything going for less than a hundred bucks seems to be pretty much a joke, and the minute I find something that has all the desired features, it costs at least four figures.

I'd adjust to storing music on my phone, but I have so much music to put on it that it'd turn the phone into a glorified DAP and make it useful for nothing else. Similarly, I considered adapting to one of those streaming services and sticking my music "in the cloud," but I've heard horror stories about at least one (rhymes with Crapple) replacing library tracks with DRM-protected files by "matching" songs available in their store, sometimes replacing explicit versions of songs with "clean" edits, etc., and essentially wiping the original files from your library in the process. Naturally I'm not interested in submitting to anything that might take away my music -- they might be "just" digital files, but dammit they're mine. And after a lot of regular consumer searching along the lines of the "has this feature, but not that feature" paradox, I'm more or less stumped.

Which leads me to why I'm here. In reading the Hoffman boards over the years, by and large, you seem to be experts, or at least the type of consumers who can lead me in the right direction. (Even if many of you seem to be the types who would disdain such players.) Thus, I turn to you.

I need recommendations for an affordable (think low three figures, high two figures if possible, as a price point) DAP with:
    • High storage capacity (can be onboard or micro-SD, I don't care; if the latter, so much the better, because that means the music travels with me no matter the shell, and most new models are tending toward that paradigm anyway)
    • Decent battery life, of the "won't crap out in under an hour" variety
    • Multiple file formats accepted
    • Bluetooth 5.0 and above, so I can pair the earbuds
    And that's it. Literally all I need. (The lowest I've found to date, with seemingly everything I need "so long as," if you will, is the iBasso DX160 at roughly 400 bucks, and even that seems to require at least six mods -- one of which concerns battery life -- for optimal performance. I'd do it if I knew I'd never have to purchase another DAP again, but this is ridiculous.)

Help a brother out?

2. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

There are iOS apps that will do what you need, including playing various file formats from storage on the device. Might be worth looking into an iPod touch, though you’d need to check it ticks all your boxes around Bluetooth 5 and so on.

3. Booker_Table

Booker_Table Forum Resident Thread Starter

Took a look at it, and one big red flag: iPod Touch only has Bluetooth 4.1. Yeesh. (Remember, I just tried to connect these Bluetooth 5.2 earbuds to a player with Bluetooth 4.2 and they didn't pair; not taking chances on that.)

woodpigeon likes this.
  4. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Best value for the money for a well-supported, versatile, good sounding DAP can usually be found in one of the FiiO models. One of the FiiO M6 or M7 models (they’re all Bluetooth 5.x) will store a huge number of files, play them with great fidelity (as long as your headphones/earbuds are up to it, which is doubtful if the signal is being somewhat crushed by Bluetooth), and reliable and stable in operation. Most people find them easy to use.

5. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I'm still using my FiiO X1 (1st Gen), and I bought a couple unopened units from eBay sellers for less than they cost new. The X1 (1st Gen) lacks many features that most current models have, but that's OK by me. I have no interest in Bluetooth. I couple my X1 with Audio Technica ATH M50x and I find the sound very pleasant. It also performs gapless playback fairly well, but fumbles the maneuver now and then with Hi-Rez files. What scares me is that I've heard that models costing far more occasionally have problems with gapless as well.

Fill Your Head likes this.
  6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

My advice would be to start a free trial of Tidal or Qobuz and make sure you hate it before investing in more gear. Your fears are based on precursors to the current streaming paradigm and completely unwarranted. If you were using wired headphones I might have a different suggestion, but to be loading SD cards with music to play over bluetooth in 2022 is borderline hilarious.

DigMyGroove likes this.
  7. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

I wish the OP good luck.
    If BT 4.2 would work for you, I had a recommendation, but you want BT5.0 so, I can't help.
    I understand why you want to continue using a DAP as the way you have been using, for a portable access to the music which you already have, to take here you want to.
    I don't discount @Rolltide 's suggestion, but depending on your access to wireless steaming services, i.e., out in the boondocks or wherever, that wouldn't work so well.
    And beside, you have already stated your preference.
    Modern BT has gotten better and making strides from the older Bluetooth 1.0-2.0 days.
    "When considering the benefits of Bluetooth 5.0 over Bluetooth 4.2, the features that stand out are the faster speed and the greater range. You can get up to twice the speed (2Mbps versus 1 Mbps), four times the range (800 feet versus 200 feet), and eight times the bandwidth of your old Bluetooth. "

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.