Bates Motel on A&E - Anyone Watching? *

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There was a dramatic reason Hitch showed us the scene in "Frenzy" as Barry Rusk's character was the one we LIKED in the film from early on just as the scene of retrieving the pin had a dramatic reason. For a character like the one in the first episode if they had built him up a bit,or made him appealing in some way, it would have worked dramatically. Yes, it shocked but that's all it did the way it was presented.

It did have a limited dramatic value within then episode but it could have been far more powerful. In this case I think it was done because they could do it not because they should have.

2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

The best part of this show is the dead on casting.... Both Norma and Norman are perfect choices...

Sure is interesting.

JimC and rockclassics like this.
  3. mikestar

mikestar Friendly Optimist

Just caught up on demand. Beyond what I expected thus far - good stuff!

4. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

Yes it is getting addicting. 3 was the weakest, but it still left me wanting more. I know where I'll be for the next 7 Monday nights.

5. I'm enjoying the show so far but can't see how they can keep this going as an ongoing series.

6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Bates Motel has officially been renewed for a second season.

from The Hollywood Reporter:

Bates Motel has garnered critical acclaim and a loyal audience in its first few weeks,” A&E president and GM Bob DeBitetto said in announcing the pickup Monday. "With superb writing and exceptional acting, led by the critically acclaimed performances of Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore, we’re incredibly excited to see where Carlton and Kerry take Norma and Norman Bates next.”

rockclassics likes this.
  7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

:goodie::goodie::goodie:

8. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I'm really loving this show. My favorite new show in a couple years. Norman and Norma are great. And I always like the small town with dark secrets vibe.

xilef regnu likes this.
  9. spewey

spewey Senior Member

Having Norman's step-brother on the show is great! He's the "normal" guy that says what I'm thinking.

10. JimC

JimC Senior Member

And Nestor Carbonell is kind of a poor man's Anthony Perkins...I like the visual layering of characters, etc.

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

As far as we can tell at this point, the step-brother is one of the only normal characters on the show...

12. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Watching recorded shows. What a great show this is, and yes, the casting is dead on . Perfect.

13. rockclassics

More twists and turns in the storyline last night. Wish we didn't have to wait another week to find out what happens next.

As someone else mentioned....when is the Bates Motel going to open for business?

14. ringosshed

ringosshed Forum Resident

just got renewed.

15. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Great news....

16. progrocker71

The show is very good...I think they need to ramp up the intensity a little bit, it's not quite as menacing as it could be. But overall developing nicely, good performances, etc.

Olivia Cooke as Emma is a cutie.
    [​IMG]

xilef regnu likes this.
  17. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I hope she doesn't get killed off the show anytime soon :)

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's sad that we live in a society where someone would feel the need to go off their oxygen just for the sake of looking good in a photo. But otherwise, it's nice to see her....

xilef regnu likes this.
  19. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

Anyone else think something bad happened to Bradley? Norman's encounter with her seemed very dreamlike and he didn't actually touch her the following morning.

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think the show is pretty good so far and it's well acted by Freddie and Vera, but I can't quite see this nice, caring, reasonably attractive kid, with two pretty girls interested in him and an older brother to confide in, turning into schizoid killer Norman Bates. I feel like Psycho's Norman would be a lot more isolated, even as a teenager, and their take makes him too sympathetic and likeable.

21. progrocker71

I think they are setting it up as Norman having dissociative identity disorder possibly stemming from events prior to the series. This would explain the blackouts, seeing his mother sitting on his bed (possibly another personality) and also hints that possibly he might have killed his father (though I vote for Norma for that one). I think we're starting to see hints that Norman isn't "all there" as he seems to have frequent temper outbursts and signs of the same streaks of jealousy that his mother demonstrates.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I mean, I see how they are setting up his mental issues... I guess he just doesn't feel socially maladjusted enough to me, even though he's awkward and too wrapped up with his mother.

23. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Interesting...I just figured she was going to blow him off as a set up to his future issues with women but your idea would be an interesting plot twist.

24. rockclassics

Had not thought about that. I took the dreamlike photography as a way to make it clear they were in bed together without being obvious about it. Him not touching her in the morning I wrote off to it being his first time, him being awkward, and not knowing what to do the morning after.

25. rockclassics

Wow. They really moved the storyline along quite a bit in last nights episode. They even explained a bit about Normans father. I don't want to give too much awat for those who have not seen it yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.