"Batgirl" shelved by Warner Brothers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Aug 2, 2022.

1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I suspect that the answer is that head honcho decided that the amount needed to finish the film (which might have included reshoots to fix whatever didn’t work in the test screening) plus promotion and advertising, just made no sensegiven the likely return from a picture targeted for streaming. Usually a studio doesn’t want to upset its stars but in this case the film might be so bad that Warner could say “look, this is best for your career as well, and we’ll try to get you in the next big project . . .”

2. Oh well, I wasn't going to see it anyway. I didn't know it existed, until it didn't. Somehow, I'll survive.

3. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

It couldn't have been worse than the last Wonder Woman flick, which was pretty craptastic. Unless you ended up watching it as a comedy.

4. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I didn’t know about The Flash ending but it isn’t surprising. I somehow stuck it out to the end of Supergirl, but I drifted away from Flash mid season last year and pretty much forgot all about it. I’m 48 so these shows skew towards people half my age anyways so maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe even though I’m a progressive the left wing agenda pushing got to be so hamfisted and in your face in the CW shows all of the time that it nauseated even me. All of the shows are poorly written and lacking in subtlety now and after a decade of DC related content it’s really just time to let it all go.

5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Yvonne Craig will always be my screen version of Batgirl anyway, so unless they exhume more un-aired stuff than the eight minutes of that pilot... Batgirl on her Batcycle, cape flapping, Emma Peel kicks; that's all I could've wanted! Don't like moths at all either... :cool:

Crungy and Hammerhead like this.
  6. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

I don’t buy it’s been pulled because it’s bad. It was made for HBO Max. You can finish post-production and dump it there. It doesn’t matter. This is a statement by the new regime and I hope it works out for them. Shelving a million dollar project does not happen often.

Even though I like that the directors (who are Belgian) made it to the big leagues, they already made crappy, MTV style gangster movies over here, so I wasn’t interested in the first place.

7. I was really looking forward to seeing an 85 pound girl getting into a brawl with a 300 pound pole-drive punching brute and coming out un-bruised or broken -just like that recent Batgirl tv series.

SandAndGlass, marcb, altaeria and 6 others like this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

First I heard of it was today.
    I'm sick of superhero movies but I would have watched this.

9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

10. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

Is the movie going to be leaked anyway? Like the 90s Fantastic Four movie?

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Perhaps, in addition to the potential for losing rather than making money, they were also concerned with the film becoming a cause celebre for minority groups looking to push their own agendas on the backlash from it.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Or maybe it will be like this unreleased gem and get a quiet release a decade later when no one cares.

[​IMG]

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wait, Michael was in this? Way too old to play Batman. That would be strange to imagine. Its probably a good thing it didnt come out. Blackeye to his career. Which imo has been very good. He is a very good actor. Would definitely go see him in other roles if the movie and script were good.

But Batman?? Eep. Reaks of Indianna Jones part 7 or whatever.

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  14. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I believe this made or in works before David, took over.. He would never gave it go ahead.
    if he was in charge.. there's a lot excess at Warner Bros since the 90's people that work at warner bros creating dept's
    for friends and family .. That reality do nothing.. this why Warner Bros in trouble
    no thing as word budget... ..

15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

It was suppose be cross over movie.. a lot of fans wanted a batman beyond movie

mpayan likes this.
  16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I knew the TV series got cancelled but didn't know they had a movie coming out.

17. Wildest cat from montana

I can't see this movie just 'disappearing'. Surely some overseas deal will surface which will lead to a domestic release of some kind.

18. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Both Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton are playing Batman in the upcoming Flash movie. The upcoming Flash movie is loosely based on the Flashpoint storyline from the comics. Without giving away spoilers about that story, the comic book storyline involves multiverses featuring an old Batman and a young Batman. Hence two actors playing Batman.

Keaton apparently also filmed scenes as Batman for the upcoming Aquaman 2 movie, but it recently came out that Ben Affleck instead is replacing him as Batman in that movie. Previously, online speculation was that the Flash movie would explain how Keaton winds up as the Batman going forward, leading into his appearance Aquaman 2. Then Aquaman 2's release date got moved up ahead of the Flash (meaning Keaton would appear in Aquaman 2, before the Flash movie would explain the different Batmans ... but now it also makes more sense Affleck, not Keaton, will be Batman in Aquaman 2). And Keaton was then spotted filming as Batman for Batgirl, which was also coming out before the Flash movie.

Confused enough? Everyone was confused about who's Batman, how Keaton vs Affleck is supposed to work out in these upcoming movies, and what the Flashpoint story in the Flash movie was going to do with these Batmans. :laugh:

The supposed leaks online from test screenings of Batgirl have said that Keaton was only a little more than a cameo in Batgirl, though. Seemed like Batgirl would have been an introduction to him, rather than explaining which actor is which Batman or his backstory.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  19. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't know that I'd really want to see him as Batman at this point, but an older Bruce Wayne? Sure.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

[​IMG]

21. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Test screenings are a major source of leaks about movies. If you follow certain social media accounts, subreddits, etc., you will see leaks all day, every day, whether you want to or not, as their content (plus other content these platforms will put in front of you, because they think if you like X you'll also want to see this-other-thing getting a lot of engagement) appears through your daily internet feed. A lot of the bigger news outlets don't engage in spoilers and leaks, but it's easy to cross into that world of spoilers and leaks by adding just a few social media accounts to your daily feed.

I'm not sure it is necessarily one single film, but a culmination of projects that gradually turns the public off from the brand overall. The new Predator movie, Prey, has been getting great reviews, but that movie was always slated for streaming, I think because the string of Predator movies leading up to now have not been well-received by the public. No one was excited to rush out to see Prey in the movie theaters on opening weekend, no matter how good the reviews might have been.

Discovery apparently is trying to reset the DCEU as big theatrical event thing for the future. I guess a made-for-streaming movie, even with a $70mm budget, is not what they wanted leading into whatever they envision their brand to be.

22. Wildest cat from montana

So...
    Cameo Batman wasn't in 'Aquaman 2' but possibly in a meatier role in ' The Flash 3' unless it's released before the next Wonder Woman which hinges on the plotline from the Ben Affleck Batman movie focusing on the timeline from the first Aquaman movie unless Micheal Keaton reprises his role?

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I read somewhere that Keaton said the suit fits him as well as the old days!

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The news being reported over the last 48 hours is…in plain English, a s*** show.
    HBOMAX, as far as I can tell, has built up a solid reputation over the pandemic and someone has been put in charge who is dead set on destroying the brand. For what gain? A tax write off seems incredibly short sighted. You have to play the long game…Disney+ set themselves up with a 3 year prepaid subscription. HBOMAX needs to build on their reputation, library and brands. This tear down and rumors of being integrated into Discover+ (instead of the other way around) is just nuts.

25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It can’t be worse than WW84

And putting it on HBOMAX they don’t need a promotional budget. The audience is built in.

zobalob, Jet Age Eric and Lars Medley like this.