Bauhaus 40th Anniversary Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by breakingglass, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Yeah I don't think original Bela 12"s are rare are they. Doesn't mean they won't be pricey now that vinyl is so fashionable, but the spined version, in black or coloured vinyl, was in print non stop from 1980 to around 1989. The blue vinyl is genuine, but I think some of the other colors were bootlegs? Certainly the spined 1980s black and blue vinyl reissues I have to me sound identical to the unspined black or white vinyl originals.

2. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

No, sorry I don't have that one. I also don't have the CD single which included the Dark Entries bit. I've been trying to find a rip of that for quite some time.

I wouldn't be able to confirm the transfer sample rate on a CD, though. The only reason I can say that Bella/Boys were transferred at 44.1khz is because the digital download is at 48khz and those two tracks abruptly end at 22khz while the rest do not. But what I can do is see if the Bella Session track stays in perfect digital sync with any other CDs to confirm if they derive from the same transfer. When I have time, I will check it against Crackle. If I ever come across rips of the other Bela CD singles, I can check those. I only have the track on the '88 CD single and Crackle.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  3. BlueSpeedway

So there's two 80s CD singles, one with Entries bit and one without? I didn't know that (or had forgotten!). Mine is a Nimbus one bought in Summer 1989 and doesn't have Entries :(

4. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

So, the Sky's Gone Out LP is out today. Anyone getting it? I was kind of considering it, but thought I'd wait for some reports by people here first.

5. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Never heard that before. I just checked it on YT - wow! Was year did they record it?

6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

No, all the standard CD singles were missing Dark Entries. It was on a CD put out for the '98 tour. Discogs says it was also available without autographs or numbering but I've only seen the autographed ones. Discogs has a couple for $120-150!

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead
    Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead

The only complaint I have with the '88 CD single is a glitch in the right channel at the very start of Bela. I can easily fix it but haven't yet. Other than that, I think it sounds great. But I am curious how the 98 and 05 CDs sound.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

First appeared on the Heavy Metal 2000 soundtrack (in 2000), I believe. Then was released on Go Away White but I don't know if they are the exact same version. I only have Go Away White.

gomen ne likes this.
  8. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I never bought that - I'll have to make amends. That track is great. BTW, my Bela is black vinyl in a slimline sleeve. TEENY 2. Mint though!

rnranimal likes this.
  9. gomen ne

gomen ne -

They didn't put Dog's A Vapour on the vinyl...er..what? I'll have have to get the cd. Emergency :~)

rnranimal likes this.
  10. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Strange. I never realized that. Btw, I checked youtube and the Heavy Metal 2000 and Go Away White versions are at least different mixes. Peter's vocals are doubled on White. I'm wondering if there are also some newer parts recorded since Go Away White was 8 years later.

I was looking on discogs and saw that Doug Sax mastered Go Away White on CD. Wow, I never knew that and I'm shocked. It brick walled. I don't ever recall finding a brick walled Sax mastering.

gomen ne likes this.
  11. BlueSpeedway

For me the first Dog's a Vapour is best, the Go Away White one has some overdubs that make it a bit messy and busy, but apart from that it's the same recording I think!

edit: oh I see rnr already replied sorry.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    rnranimal and gomen ne like this.
  12. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Thankfully, I still have that CD single, which is why I opted for the vinyl on this Session release.
    I do regret selling my old glow-in-the-dark picture-disc vinyl of Bella a long time ago. Originally bought that in the mid '80s, then sold it for a good chunk of change in the mid-'90s, which as a starving college student at the time, really helped out! Also, being a picture disc, it was HELLA noisy! Like, noisy vinyl wasn't even something that bothered me back then, but this one was SO noisy, I still recall it well!

hi_watt likes this.
  13. BlueSpeedway

You should hear my Burning From the Inside picture disc: you can barely hear Slice of Life until Ash starts singing, the rumbling and noise is so high. And Who Killed Mr Moonlight? Who Rumbled Mr Moonlight more like! :(

14. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I've been playing The Dog's A Vapour on repeat for 30 minutes. I love it. It's one of their best tracks. Thanks BlueSpeedway.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I had a chance to compare sync on the 3 digital Bela's I have: 1988 CD single, Crackle and Bela Sessions. All 3 are from different transfers.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  16. Pavol Stromcek

Bump.

So, no one has bought the Sky's Gone Out reissue yet?

17. Netnomad

Netnomad Forum Resident

I have but it won't arrive until Thursday.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  18. Pavol Stromcek

Do let us know what you think of the sound/pressing quality/etc., once you've got it, when you get the chance.

Netnomad likes this.
  19. BlueSpeedway

I'no intention of getting it, but just to say about the new Crackle which I've just looked at: all the other 40th anniversary LPs have "remastered from HD audio from analogue tapes" on the sticker. But Crackle has had that bit removed from its sticker - it now says nothing about mastering, so your guess is as good as mine regarding its source.

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. BlueSpeedway

Sigh. Can’t share anything about the sound of my new Burning. Warped to the point of unplayability. I tried 6 times to get the stylus on, impossible.

So, Flat Field - blob of something on Double Dare on mine. I got it off but it only reduced the scraping sound, still audible. And the US copies were apparently mono.
    Mask - audible scuffs on two tracks, and now a warped Burning.

Burning’s vinyl by the way is light baby blue, nothing in common with the blue on the front artwork.

What a shambles.

rnranimal likes this.
  21. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

It’s like they’re trying to piss us off.

patient_ot likes this.
  22. Pavol Stromcek

I'm sorry to hear, that is a bummer!

Strangely, for us the US, the new Burning only just recently appeared on Amazon.com, but they're selling it via "Amazon Global Store UK" and shipping is $10 despite being a Prime member. Which is weird since they're not selling Sky's Gone Out that way (which I went ahead and ordered, btw), and IIRC, both Burning and Sky are not being released in the US, unlike Mask and Field (which is really odd, IMO).

I saw they had reissued Crackle LP in my local shop. I have absolutely zero interest in that, but it got me wondering why they couldn't have reissued the 1979-1983 comp on vinyl instead.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  23. BlueSpeedway

I think Sky and Burning must be still controlled by A&M in the US, or by whoever owns the A&M catalogue...not sure. I wonder if Vertigo still control Sky in Canada as they released it there.

24. Pavol Stromcek

Oh right, I hadn't thought about that. But then, 4 Men with Beards licensed Burning and Sky several years ago, and I figure if a scrappy reissue label with spotty quality control can afford to license them here, can't Beggars Banquet?

25. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

Beggars, wow?, issues with Bauhaus reissues and Stereolab. Who is running thing over there? interns?

Jerry James likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.