Be-Bop Deluxe Album By Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Jul 26, 2015.

1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Quite often I look at something but don't "see" it until someone points it out....so let me ask....

Does the cover shot of that weird looking Robot in bed answering the phone mean anything?
    (other than what I jokingly said above about Blazing Apostles)

2. WalterDigsTunes

WalterDigsTunes Forum Resident

I love post-punk, but this almost is a mixed bag for me. Not being much of an XTC fan, I find myself having a hard time getting through half of Sound-on-Sound. When Bill's vocal mannerisms take a Partridge-ian turn, I find myself wading through the least appealing areas of all Nelsonia. The first track is particularly difficult to get through. Still, other parts are just brilliant: the closing pair of tracks, Art/Empire/Industry and Revolt Into Style, almost manage to make up for the initial tribulations. I view this album as a transitional moment between Drastic Plastic and Bill's early 80s creative renaissance. It's historically noteworthy, but I rarely get the urge to spin the disc.

Icethorn and Rufus McDufus like this.
  3. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Sound On Sound was the last Bill Nelson album I bought and it's been a very long time since I heard it.

I'm pretty sure an interviewer said to Bill at the time of its release "it sounds like XTC". Maybe not too surprising since Be Bop Deluxe, XTC and Red Noise were all produced by John Leckie, but the comparison does say how quickly new bands of that era could establish themselves and secure their niche. It was immediately obvious from their first releases that XTC had a musical substance above most of their new wave contemporaries and though it was The Jam who represented the strongest link with British bands of the 60s, XTC were more the successors to the quirky pop tradition that runs from The Kinks through psychedelia to Bowie and Sparks.

So, XTC being my new favourite band of the time, I was very happy to read that Bill had gone in that direction. On hearing it, I thought the comparison was valid (well, both bands sang about the Atom Age) and Bill had wholeheartedly found his new thing - moreso than on Drastic Plastic, I felt. I certainly liked Sound On Sound and played it a lot at the time.

I also went to see them on their tour (great to see that concert programme again - thank you slipkid for posting!). Whatever his original intentions, Bill certainly presented Red Noise as a band - they were dressed in specially designed grey round-collared Soviet-chic jackets. And the performance was tight, dynamic, fast. The set of course was Sound On Sound songs - plus Possession as mentioned earlier. I'd forgotten that, but I do remember an encore of Ships In The Night which got a big cheer, so presumably a significant portion of the audience, like me, were Be Bop Deluxe fans with a haircut.

I didn't really know at the time why there wasn't another Red Noise album, if there had been I'd have bought it. I missed Quit Dreaming And Get On The Beam - perhaps I should discover it 35 years on.

4. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

I will be playing this one over the weekend. Still have my original UK import.

5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

LOL! Great observation :)

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  6. vinyl diehard

I noticed today my local used vinyl dealer has 3 copies in his bins of Red Noise. If I needed one....

7. vinyl diehard

Just seen this in the bin today!

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That really is a beautiful tour book - thanks again for posting all the nice scans, Slipkid!

9. vinyl diehard

Interesting how they incorporated BBD graphics/art in the booklet.

10. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

While I like Red Noise's Sound-On-Sound, the music tends to get me agitated with its angular riffs and herky-jerky rhythms. Not necessarily a bad thing -- and perfect when I need a blast of energy -- but it means I usually listen to the album in 4-song segments.

Icethorn and 3rd Uncle Bob like this.
  11. jsayers

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

You're welcome. I thought I had some scans of it too, which would be easier to read but can't find them. At least I still had the photos.

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Innaresting!

This is the direct link:
    http://www.musicstack.com/item/350543128

That one also includes a concert ticket - March 7th at Odeon in Birmingham, signed by Bill!

It's a much better shot (scan?) that what I had for mine above, if you check out that image you can read a little bit of the info in the program.....(click below to see full size version or go to the musicstack sale page and access it there):

[​IMG]

Icethorn and T'mershi Duween like this.
  14. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

£2.80 ticket price - love it!

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Those were the days. Of course most of us back then were just teenagers without jobs or semi-broke college kids!

Icethorn likes this.
  16. jsayers

And it's even for the "front stalls" section! :laugh:

Was this show in a barn? Just kidding - I'm assuming front stalls means front of stage seats/area in British-speak.

17. jsayers

This is the Youtube link to the Prog Rock Awards 2015 where Bill won the "Visionary" award a few weeks ago. Bassist Nick Beggs <yep - the ex-bassist of Kajagoogoo> presents him the award at about 14:30 into the clip.

BUT! Please watch Rick Wakeman's introduction for Roger Dean's award at about 7:30 into the clip first - who knew that Rick was such a funny guy? Some great jokes about being an aging "pensioner" and things that can go wrong at the doctor's.

Murph likes this.
  18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes, Rick Wakeman is VERY funny/witty. I think he has (or had?) a crazy column each month in the Prog mag offshoot of Classic Rock magazine btw.

Icethorn and jsayers like this.
  19. vinyl diehard

Time for a bump.

20. vinyl diehard

Now, on to some collections:

RADIOLAND BBC RADIO 1 LIVE IN CONCERT

Live, released in 1994

Songs / Tracks Listing

1. Life In The Air Age
    2. Sister Seagull
    3. Third Floor Heaven
    4. Blazing Apostles
    5. Maid In Heaven
    6. Kiss Of Light
    7. Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape
    8. Fair Exchange
    9. Ships In The Night
    10. Modern Music/Dancing In The Moonlight/Honeymoon On Mars/Lost In The Neon
    11.World/Modern Music (reprise)
    12. New Precision
    13. Superenigmatix
    14. Possession
    15. Dangerous Stranger
    16. Island Of The Dead
    17. Panic In The World

Line-up / Musicians
    - Bill Nelson / lead vocals, all guitars, harmonica, tubular bells and percussion
    - Andrew Clark / all keyboards
    - Charles Tumahai / bass guitar, vocals and percussion
    - Simon Fox / drums and percussion

From ProgArchives:

When I reviewed this band's debut album a while back I noted that even though I wasn't terribly impressed with the record itself, the bonus live tracks did intrigue me because they sounded so much better than the stuff I'd just sat through. The in-concert material that was added to the reissued CD had been taped some years later and they featured Be-Bop Deluxe with a revamped lineup. The musicianship involved was a significant step up compared to what I'd heard on the amateurish "Axe Victim" so when I came across this compilation of three separate BBC radio simulcasts I acquired it in hopes that it would contain material along the same lines. Not being at all familiar with what the four studio LPs that followed their initial offering held inside their cardboard covers, I figured this would be a good way to obtain a fair overview of the group's career. Plus, radio concerts are usually very intimate affairs and it's hard for a band to hide their defects in that setting. In a large hall or an arena the cavernous echo, the volume projected and the feedback of the crowd can smooth over some inherent flaws but simulcasts, by default, expose every bad note and miscue as it happens. The most curious thing about these recordings is the fact that they were tucked away in somebody's basement or back room until 1994.

The initial four tunes are from a session captured early in 1976. "Life in the Air Age" sports a nice, jazzy tint and some interesting musical patterns that belie a lot of maturity in leader Bill Nelson's songwriting skills. "Sister Seagull" has an aura that, like much of what their flawed debut exuded, reminds me of some of the unorthodox, trippy compositions that were coming out of the psychedelic San Francisco scene in the late 60s. "Third Floor Heaven" is weak mainly because it's not much of a song to begin with and it has too much of the dated British Glam coloration to be taken seriously. "Blazing Apostles" is the best of the four. The overall arrangement is very progressive and Andrew Clark's keyboards add a touch of class as the group toys with some clever, Zappa-ish incidentals throughout. The next six cuts are from a broadcast that aired much later in the same year and their upwardly evolving craftsmanship is evident. On "Maid in Heaven" Nelson's guitar playing shows he gained much more confidence during the months of touring and his style is a lot more fluid because of it. "Kiss of Light" follows. While I'll admit that Bill's compositions are truly unique, sometimes (as is the case here) they have a bad habit of being inconsistent in quality. The intriguing high points are offset by the confusing low ones. One of the numbers that captivated me in the aforementioned bonus section of "Axe Victim" was their onstage rendition of "Adventures in a Yorkshire Landscape" and the version presented here is just as good. It's a strange song but I really like its bluesy jazz groove immensely. Nelson's guitar solo is excellent and Clark's electric piano ride is superb while the rhythm section consisting of drummer Simon Fox and bassist Charles Tumahai is remarkably tight. "Fair Exchange" is a quirky rocker with a variety of feels included and, while it doesn't thrill me, at least it's not boring. On "Ships in the Night" a slight Supertramp influence is noticeable but it's not blatant, either. The tune is engaging in a coy, clandestine way that sneaks up on you. The long medley of "Modern Music/Dancing in the Moonlight/Lost in the Neon World/Modern Music (reprise)" is well worth the price of admission. Pink Floydian sound bites set the mood, then the melodic journey begins with intertwined guitar and synth harmony lines and Bill's smooth but authoritative vocal. The proggy structure of the entire endeavor is admirable on many counts.

The final six selections were taped early in '78 and they sound like a different ensemble altogether this time around. The perky "New Precision" features a throbbing disco beat but it's deceptive because the tune is more of a heavy rocker than a trite dance number. There's a noticeable New Wave vibe going on here that reminds me of Talking Heads but, since that eclectic New York outfit had just appeared on the map at the time, I wonder who was affecting who, exactly? It's a very arresting and memorable composition. The change in Be-Bop Deluxe's direction is even more obvious on "Superenigmatix." Most notable is their generous use of effects on both the guitar and the keyboards. Next is "Possession" and, again, the New Wave sound abounds throughout. The problem I have with this one is there are times during it when I'm reminded of the borderline vapidity that permeated that movement and used to drive me to have anxiety attacks over where music was headed. "Dangerous Stranger" follows and I can easily picture a dolled up David Bowie manning the microphone for this punchy rock & roll ditty. It's not disturbing but it is a tad too derivative to deem it very original. A true highlight of the record is their stunningly deft delivery of "Islands of the Dead." The song's presentation is a lot less hectic and much more delicate than the others, as they create a serene atmosphere that draws the listener right in. They end the show with "Panic in the World," a driving number that causes me to ponder that these boys were just a little ahead of their time because this is precisely the kind of music that really took over and dominated the industry in the early 80s.

It's always fascinating to hear how a group or an artist developed and/or adapted over a period of years and these three concert recordings do it as well as I've ever come across. One thing's for sure, they were most assuredly prog-minded at a time when progressive rock was slowly but surely falling out of fashion. While I don't always cotton to the whole of their stuff I have great respect for their gumption and for not being scared to be trendsetters in a business full of followers. I'm kinda surprised that they didn't catch on stateside like Elvis Costello and The Police did but maybe they just gave up and disbanded a year too soon. Nonetheless, this is an enjoyable trek through their history that unflinchingly displays Be-Bop Deluxe live without embellishments just as they were and they prove themselves to be worthy of any unbiased, open-minded progger's respect. 3.5 stars.

Icethorn and Roger Thornhill like this.
  21. Liam Bligh

Liam Bligh Forum Resident

22. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

I don't have this one. Looks like all the tracks are from the three BBC In Concerts on the later release Be Bop Deluxe At The BBC 1974-1978, which I do have.

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I could be wrong but I do not think that the tracks on this CD are on the BBD Deluxe at the BBC 1974-1978 set. That may have some of it but I'm not even sure about that.

It is the exact same content as the 2002 release called "Tremulous Antenna" though I don't know about any mix or mastering difference between these releases.

Icethorn likes this.
  24. jsayers

Tremulous Antenna was a huge upgrade in sound quality, as I recall reading various places including Bill's forum. TA is really the one to get.

I think they are all on the BBC box.

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

OK let's take a look at these releases in detail & make sure that all the tracks from TA/Radioland are all on the BBC 1974-78 Deluxe box. I don't believe that they are but let's see if I can prove myself wrong!

Regarding Tremulous Antenna (or Radioland)

From http://www.allmusic.com/album/tremulous-antenna-mw0000229012
    and
    http://www.discogs.com/Be-Bop-Deluxe-Tremulous-Antenna/release/4823879

Sixteen songs from three BBC Radio 1 "In Concert" programs comprise this collection, the performances dating from January 15, 1976 (the first four cuts); October 20, 1976 (the next six tracks); and January 19, 1978 (the final six selections).

Tracks 1-4 Recorded for 'Radio 1 In Concert' at the Paris Theatre 15.01.76 BBC Producer Jeff Griffin
    1 Life In The Air Age
    2 Sister Seagull
    3 Third Floor Heaven
    4 Blazing Apostles

Tracks 5-10 Recorded for 'Radio 1 In Concert' at the Hammersmith Odeon 20.10.76
    5 Maid In Heaven
    6 Kiss Of Light
    7 Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape
    8 Fair Exchange
    9 Ships In The Night
    10 Modern Music/Dancing In The Moonlight/Honeymoon On Mars/Lost In The Neon World/Modern Music (Reprise)

Tracks 11-16 Recorded for 'Radio 1 In Concert' at Golders Green Hippodrome 19.01.78. BBC Producer Jeff Griffin.
    11 New Precision
    12 Superenigmatix
    13 Possession
    14 Dangerous Stranger
    15 Islands Of The Dead
    16 Panic In The World

For at the BBC 4 disc set, from
    http://www.discogs.com/Be-Bop-Deluxe-At-The-BBC-1974-1978/release/5012804

John Peel Session May 1974
    CD1-1 Third Floor Heaven 3:03
    CD1-2 Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape 4:08
    CD1-3 Mill Street Junction 3:54
    CD1-4 15th Of July 4:27

John Peel Session March 1975
    CD1-5 Maid In Heaven 2:20
    CD1-6 Stage Whispers 3:22
    CD1-7 Sister Seagull 3:34
    CD1-8 Lights 2:46

In Concert Jan' 1976
    CD1-9 Life In The Air Age 4:05
    CD1-10 Sister Seagull 3:46
    CD1-11 Ships In The Night 3:48
    CD1-12 Maid In Heaven 2:26
    CD1-13 Third Floor Heaven 3:40
    CD1-14 Blazing Apostles 6:07

In Concert Oct' 1976
    CD2-1 Maid In Heaven 3:00
    CD2-2 Bring Back The Spark 3:40
    CD2-3 Kiss Of Light 3:34
    CD2-4 Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape 9:26
    CD2-5 Fair Exchange 4:50
    CD2-6 Ships In The Night 3:45
    CD2-7 Twilight Capers 4:37
    CD2-8 Modern Music (Medley) 12:33
    CD2-9 Blazing Apostles 12:00

John Peel Session Jan' 1977
    CD3-1 Mill Street Junction 4:43
    CD3-2 Adventures In A Yorkshire Landscape 7:51
    CD3-3 Still Shining 8:10

In Concert Jan' 1978
    CD3-4 New Precision 6:10
    CD3-5 Superenigmatix 2:39
    CD3-6 Possession 2:51
    CD3-7 Dangerous Stranger 3:43
    CD3-8 Islands Of The Dead 5:01
    CD3-9 Panic In The World 5:31
    CD3-10 Lovers Are Mortal 5:36
    CD3-11 Love In Flames 5:47
    CD3-12 Blazing Apostles 6:05

John Peel Session Jan' 1978
    CD3-13 Superenigmatix 1:57
    CD3-14 Panic In The World 5:35
    CD3-15 Possession 2:25
    CD3-16 Love In Flames 3:41

Old Grey Whistle Test July 1975
    DVD-1 Maid In Heaven 2:17
    DVD-2 Sister Seagull 3:35
    Old Grey Whistle Test Jan' 1976
    DVD-3 Ships In The Night 3:33
    DVD-4 Fair Exchange 5:12
    Old Grey Whistle Test Nov' 1976
    DVD-5 Forbidden Lovers 4:22
    DVD-6 Down On Terminal Street 4:55
    Sight And Sound In Concert Feb' 1978
    DVD-7 New Precision 6:12
    DVD-8 Superenigmatix 2:55
    DVD-9 Possession 3:04
    DVD-10 Dangerous Stranger 4:08
    DVD-11 Islands Of The Dead 5:22
    DVD-12 Lovers Are Mortal 6:49
    DVD-13 Panic In The World 5:17

First thing I have to say is that since the tracklists don't match for all the credited shows, and they don't list exact dates for some of the stuff on the back of the BBC box (eg: the "In Concert Jan '76 set which I guess is the 15/1/76 Paris Theatre?), I always used to think that they weren't even the same thing.

However looking at all this more closely, it appears to me that the same shows ARE on the BBC set but that the BBC set is MORE complete than the other releases with more songs for some of those appearances like 15/1/76 Paris Theatre (for example). This is also further confusing me though since the "In Concert Oct' 1976" set on the back of the BBC box is listed in the booklet as being from "2nd October 1976", yet (assuming they are the same show) that is credited as 20.10.76 on both TA and Radioland. Sheesh.

So maybe everything on the TA and Radioland IS on the BBC box (?) and I stand corrected.

Icethorn, Gregster and Rufus McDufus like this.