Be-Bop Deluxe Album By Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl diehard, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Holy crap indeed!
    It is a small world. Who'd have thought it, Halifax the rock and roll capital of the world :righton:. Good times.

2. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Giving 'Futurama' a spin today having a bit of a BBD week.
    Nice article about the band/ interview with Bill Nelson in this month's Classic Rock mag, featuring some serious glam-rock pictures of the band. Wow did people really wear that stuff. :yikes:
    Really enjoying the album, gonna work through all of them this week. :agree: :righton:

vinyl diehard likes this.
  3. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

I
    I don't believe that Live! in the Air Age is all from the same concert. Bill himself has stated that some of it is from Leicester but he couldn't recall the locations for the entire album.

That being said, the Futurist Manifesto tracks are from the same tape boxes but definitely with superior sound. Live! in the Air Age has only been released with the early 90's EMI master, it's certainly due for a revisit.

Icethorn and Slim Zooms like this.
  4. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. Well overdue. Maybe they'll include some extras. I'm not holding my breath mind you...:waiting:

5. downer

downer Senior Member

Esoteric have just posted teasers on a Facebook...

Vaughan and boboquisp like this.
  6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Unlike some (many?) here, I think Futurama is the weakest of the Be Bop albums. I'll buy a box, but would much rather any of the other titles get the treatment first. I'd kill for a Drastic Plastic box of this type.

Icethorn likes this.
  7. downer

downer Senior Member

As the Esoteric deal gives them access to the full BBD catalogue, and we're seeing Futurama announced within 6 months of 'Sunburst..', I'd say it bodes well for a 'comprehensive plan'...

Vaughan, Slim Zooms and slipkid like this.
  8. John54

John54 Senior Member

For some reason this thread completely escaped my notice, for only three and a half years and almost 500 posts.

Anyway, I'm not the biggest fan (which I say about most bands) but Modern Music is excellent, particularly Side 1 which has no weak spots. My CD has three extra tracks, one of which is Quest for the Harvest of the Stars, my favourite song by the band (which I think I heard on the radio just once somewhere along the line). Other favourite songs off other LPs are Crying to the Skies and Electrical Language. I think I have Futurama (on vinyl), but not Axe Victim.

9. TwentySmallCigars

I don't think that Esoteric has the rights to the Be Bop Deluxe catalogue, they have to license those releases from EMI. They have the rights to all of Bill's post Be-Bop (and Red Noise) releases except 'Getting the Holy Ghost Across' which is still owned by Sony/CBS.

The full list is available on Bill's website.

10. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Here’s hoping the Futurama release follows the SF box template.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  11. TwentySmallCigars

They only released five studio albums, it would be nice to see all of them get the same treatment as the excellent Sunburst Finish box.

mikew and Humbuster like this.
  12. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

.....and who knows, maybe the Live In The Air Age might get some enhanced treatment too....:oops:

originalsnuffy, mikew and Humbuster like this.
  13. TwentySmallCigars

I would hope that it would be included in the 'Modern Music' set with a complete setlist in the correct order. A fella can dream...

PJayBe and Slim Zooms like this.
  14. downer

downer Senior Member

Times (and who owns what) have changed since that list was published...
    Esoteric Recordings | Latest News August 2017

“Cherry Red are pleased to announce the purchase and representation of several artist catalogues and discographies from the Warner Music Group divestment deal. These include Howard Jones, Be-Bop Deluxe, Barclay James Harvest, Chris Squire and Curved Air plus pop artists such as Kim Wilde and Mel and Kim.

Esoteric Recordings are delighted to announce that Barclay James Harvest, Be-Bop Deluxe, Chris Squire and Curved Air titles will be on the Esoteric Recordings imprint and a full scale reissue programme will go ahead , hopefully starting later this year. “

TwentySmallCigars and Slim Zooms like this.
  15. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Good news! I should really catch up on Curved Air too o_O

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request.

17. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Awesome group and guitarist-vocalist Bill Nelson that I was fortunate to see back in the day.

18. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Yeah, I requested this thread be reopened.

My fandom started in 1990 when a friend gave me a copy of Raiding the Divine Archive. I had meant to check them out since a good buddy at college loved them (and he also turned me onto Gabriel era Genesis and Roxy Music). But I loved that compilation and it satisfied me for 33 years. Now I have decided to dig deeper into their catalogue. I figured they must have more tracks that I would love.

So, I started with Axe Victim. Sure enough it has many tracks that I really like. For me, one outstanding track is "Jets at Dawn". The version of the album I bought was a double CD, with rarities and remixes. So included there was the original version of Jets at Dawn as found on the b-side of their first single. Sublime. Bowie-esque, yet still having its own sound. I haven't been able to stop playing Axe Victim during my daily commute.

Seems strange that the record label (and Bill Nelson) thought the musicianship of his bandmates wasn't up to par and they needed replacing. I don't hear any bum notes or simplistic playing. But I guess that's why I'm not a professional musician.

19. TwentySmallCigars

The box sets from Cherry Red (Axe Victim through Red Noise) are absolute masterpieces and a clinic in how to do deluxe editions properly.

Although they appear to get reprints occasionally, they do go out of print so grab them while you can.

AlbionBoy, PJayBe, boboquisp and 2 others like this.
  20. thgord

Please treat yourself to Futurama, the follow up to Axe Victim. A guitar tour-de-force masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42NQOpuMIvI

Last edited: Dec 16, 2023
  21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

And then some according to the idiot that reviewed it here earlier in the thread:

Be-Bop Deluxe Album By Album

""This guitar does not lie"!!! ;)

Max Florian, Kingsley Fats and thgord like this.
  22. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever Thread Starter

The 3LP set of Live in the Airage from RSD last year was a definite upgrade. Glad to have it!

MicSmith and thgord like this.
  23. thgord

I was extremely pleased with the inclusion of every show from the fairly brief spring '77 tour from which this LITA tracks were taken.

24. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

slipkid, thgord and Kingsley Fats like this.
  25. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

What can I say but
    Adventures In a Yorkshire Landscape

For me it was a huge disappointment when Bill Nelson decided to steer Be Bop Deluxe in a new wave direction (starting with Drastic Plastic)

There is much to enjoy in those first 4 studio albums & the live album.