Be careful with those early Nimbus CD pressings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Many of you who collect early CD pressings have noticed the odd sticky feel on the label side of some early U.K. Nimbus pressings. I've even read warnings from some folks not to apply water to clean the label side of these discs, as you could ruin it.

Well, here is example of what can go wrong with an early Nimbus CD. I found this one in the bins yesterday. No, I did not buy it.

Be careful!

Attached Files:

2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Holy crap!

3. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Wow. I've got some "sticky" ones... never seen one like that though. Not pretty :(

4. Yikes, that looks terminal.

5. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Ouch that hurts.

6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The bottom part is translucent. That's cool! :eek:

7. mfidelity

mfidelity Senior Member

I've ruined the label side of a few of these early Nimbus pressing trying to clean fingerprints.

8. KeithH

As a collector, I like to carefully clean used CDs, but I don't dare touch the label side of an early Nimbus disc. Just leave it be. :)

9. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

I was posting on another thread a while back on this same subject....those early Nimbus discs have a label on the CD itself....that top layer with the print.. all that wrinkly look is the label...if you try to clean the disc with water it will wash the label right off...and you'll be let with a nice shinny CD with no print...I've done this with a few early Nimbus discs just to see exactly what was the problem with this sticky surface...
    I also clean my used Cd's and now knowing what these surfaces are like and almost impossible to clean unless they are mint I stay far away from them....

JF

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Years back I had bought a used Pink Floyd cd that peeled even worse when I tried to clean it,later on I seen a few others in the same shape and never cleaned one again,although most of my old Nimbus cds look like new.Careful With That Nimbus Eugene!:D

11. badfingerjoe

After looking at the picture Keith posted that mess were the red compact disc logo is to the right is what happened when someone tried to clean the disc and the label started coming off...!!!

JF

12. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

That's one hell of an image...

I've been aware of the early Nimbus CD syndrome for quite some time. However, up until this thread, the most I'd seen is what appeared to be individual parts of the text having come off. But this picture shows very clearly that there's indeed a thin label adhered to the surface of the disc. I know that's been mentioned before, but this is the most vivid proof I've ever seen.

13. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

I've had it happen too still owning some 'sticky top' Nimbus pressed cds. Just let the finger prints and other debris stay on top as it's miles safer that way.

cdb1556 likes this.
  14. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Meant to ask Keith when you say "one of the bins". Do you mean in a record shop or have you taken to rummaging through peoples dustbins trying to see if they are throwing out any cd's or in a record shop. :laugh:

If it was in a shop then the question needs to be asked why the hell where the offering for sale?

15. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Wow! I have washed a lot of CDs over the years, but I have never seen anything like that before.

john lennonist likes this.
  16. KeithH

:D

No, I was at a CD shop. Maybe they tested the disc and found that it still played. Maybe they don't have the nerve to throw it out since it's an MFSL disc.

JulesRules likes this.
  17. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

My original UK Nimbus pressing of Cactus World News - Urban Beaches is sticky on the label side and frustratingly is the one CD I just can't transfer to my NAS ... tried many many methods, but it plays fine in a CD player.

18. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

I ruined this rarity trying to clean it, it had the typical sticky nimbus residue on the top of it and I thought I could clean it.... shoulda just let it be sticky.
    [​IMG]

:shake:

19. badfingerjoe

I know it looks bad(don't know if that CD plays OK) but if the print is not a big deal to you warm water and some soft hand soap will remove the thin layer with the print and give you a nice shinny CD with no label...and it will play fine.
    At least this is an option on a rare CD that does not play you can remove that messed up label.

JF

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have a bunch of Nimbus CDs...I'll have to check them!

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, be careful with Nimbus pressings. That top layer is very delicate. Also, be careful with pressings from Discovery Systems as well.

22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

I have two PDO cds I kinda worry about.
    But there replacable.

23. That's worse than the PDO disc rot !!

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

PDO discs also can become unplayable after they bronze, they won't look as bad but if the disc won't play it is just as bad as the Nimbus problem.

25. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Yeah, I'll have look at my collection .
    I think I only have only about 4 nimbus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.