Beach Boys 1968 - "I Can Hear Music: The 20/20 Sessions" and "Wake The World: The Friends Sessions"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pool_of_tears, Jul 2, 2017.

1. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

I'd probably buy any of these archive things if they were on physical media.

2. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

So would many of us.

Ludger, RAZORMADE, Hep Alien and 6 others like this.
  3. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

I’m all in for physical media! My wife as well!

4. herbaltree

herbaltree Forum Resident

Is any site including a digital booklet for these releases?

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

One of us should create one!

MRamble and Hep Alien like this.
  6. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Speaking of non-physical media, the ‘68 live set has finally showed up on ZDigital (the Australian 7Digital).

Drum roll......

AUD$340.86 in 16-bit FLAC. That is, USD$240.38. Wow. That’s impressively ridiculous.

Shawn, D.B., MRamble and 1 other person like this.
  7. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

$240?? Oh, good heavens. The music industry is officially riding unicorns in Candyland.

8. Digital box set pricing is...problematic. The major labels can't seem to wrap their head around consumers that want to purchase every single track in a big digital release.

D.B. and Hep Alien like this.
  9. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

there almost seems to be some kind of algorithm on 7digital which factors in number of tracks on a download. I have seen this on others sets different than Beach Boys.

10. Pants Party

Exactly. Artafishal intelligents.

D.B. and *Zod* like this.
  11. Six Bachelors

Whatever the cause is for the pricing, it means I have given up my intention to get it. I'd probably consider a quarter of that price, if I'm in a generous mood or have had a few beers. I thought the '67 live stuff was a rip off (over AUD$70). Seems like a bargain now.

I also noticed that the 20/20 copyright release has gone up a lot in price since I got it - nearer to AUD$50 now.

D.B. and Lance LaSalle like this.
  12. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I was listening to the 20/20 set today, and it occurred to me that a playlist of all the a cappella remixes of the Capitol years would be something special. I only listen to them academically in context of box and digital sets.

Has anyone compiled such a playlist?

darbelob, D.B., Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  13. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

I've been catching up with the Copyright Extension sets... Listening to the great "Sail On" podcast has gotten me back into the Beach Boys big time!

They have all been interesting but these two 1968 sets, Wake The World and I Can Hear Music are amazing! I wish there was more of it, full instrumental and a cappella takes etc... These outtakes and sessions are as great and interesting as the Pet Sounds and SMiLE Sessions box sets and gets a lot more repeated listening than previous Copyright Extension sets. But I'm very happy with what we got.

Can't wait for the Sunflower and Surf's Up sets! 1968 through 1971 may be my favorite Beach Boys era.
    I hope they keep releasing these sets all through the 70's.

14. John Manning

John Manning #FreeFeelFlows

Same here - I’ll take whatever they throw at us.

15. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I'd be happy paying $100 for it! It's effin' fantastic.

pablo fanques and Lance LaSalle like this.
  16. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

The '68 set came out at such a congested time: White Album, Village Green, Dylan, CHRISTMAS, etc...that I really missed the joyful goodness the first time around. Relistening this week has shown that, YES, this may be the greatest copyright dump of all time. Simply priceless material that shows all six members contributing at the peak of their powers. Oh what could have been...

pudgym, willy, Turbo2k and 4 others like this.
  17. Dark Horse 77

So true, so true. Imagine if something had become a hit at that time and they actually appeared at Monterey Pop. Along with the strong material they were releasing, the outtakes I've heard (and I'm certainly no Beach Boys expert in these) would make for a different history.

pablo fanques and Lance LaSalle like this.
  18. Six Bachelors

It’s great but has doubled in price for no apparent reason and by enough to discourage the curious from buying it.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  19. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Maybe it sold more than they expected so they decided it was their duty as the Beach Boys to blow it.

20. Six Bachelors

Well, see above for their sales pitch for the live set, at least in Australia - still AUD$340.86 for the live '68 download on zdigital!

21. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

:laughup:
    They gotta be kiddin’!

Six Bachelors and BeSteVenn like this.
  22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I actually laughed out loud. Thank you

Lance LaSalle and willy like this.
  23. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I know they won’t but it’d be great if they put all these together in a box or something somewhere down the line. Still prefer physical media, especially for these guys.

G B Kuipers and Sammy Banderas like this.
  24. Dark Horse 77

Now, that would make for a fantastic box set. I don't care if I have to buy everything over again, if everything is included on physical media.

Sammy Banderas and Mr. H like this.
  25. Pants Party

A good middle ground could be, if they -- or preferably some outside company, or individual that truly cares -- put together a package or book -- a companion piece. It could be one book for each set, or volumes covering several of them, or one for all or whatever. Just something that details all these "copyright" releases with session info, write-ups, covers, photos, original artwork etc.