Beach Boys Hybrid SACD (Acoustic Sounds)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Linnaeus Nightingale

Linnaeus Nightingale Forum Resident

Nice :thumbsup:. You are right; I live so far out in the hills, I don't ever see this kind of deal. I'll get a player sooner than later though. Till then...

2. Linnaeus Nightingale

Linnaeus Nightingale Forum Resident

The stereo Shut Down, Volume 2 is sublime, but a chief reason I obtained the AP release was to acquire the album's mono version in best possible sound. Yet I honestly didn't know when I would listen to it given how great is the stereo counterpart. That is, I didn't know until this morning when I spun the mono Shut Down... in my car. It turns out mono readily plows through engine and road noise. And whereas fine elements of the stereo version are lost in the din, they become part of a more forceful whole in mono, which penetrates the clatter, thereby permitting the album to still sound great under less than ideal conditions. It all makes sense given the music's original audience and venues.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  3. ggggreenisaac

ggggreenisaac Brutalised by bass / Terrorised by treble

I think that extremely unlikely - HDCD is easily the weirdest/most pointless format I've ever come across. The discs that have Peak Extension and Transient Filter enabled just don't sound any different when ripped and decoded. And then there are the ones that have neither enabled...so it's just a bog-standard Redbook with an HDCD label on then? Great :rolleyes:

4. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Well of course. The more audiophile the mastering - preserving the maximum dynamic range - the less audible in a noisy background like a car the softer parts and the background instruments. That’s why most mono singles of the period are more compressed than the stereo album counterparts - they sound better on a transistor radio or car radio. Of course this can be taken to extremes but no doubt mono in a car with 60s music is the way to go - unless you have a loudness wars remastering of the stereo.

5. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

The question you are asking about SQ of the SACD layer versus the CD layer can be controversial. First, let me say that I listen to 90% SACDs and 10% CDs.
    The main reason why the SACD layer sounds better is that the DSD format ( this is what is used on SACDs ) includes frequencies higher than 22.o5 kHz in the music which allow the leading edges of the music signal to be sharper and better defined in time of arrival. This allows one to better delineate one instrument's location from another and produces a more three dimensi0nal sound stage. You might consider going to the Hardware forum and searching for threads about SACD versus CD.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  6. It was hoped more labels would adopt HDCD, which theoretically sounds potentially better than ordinary redbook CD while having backwards compatibility with all existing CD players. The differences between a well-mastered CD and well-mastered HDCD weren't big enough on regular stereo systems to get consumers excited.

Shawn, Blair G. and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  7. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

With HDCDs the Beach Boys releases they didn't use all the benefits of the technology unfortunately apart from the Pet Sounds boxset i believe so a missed opportunity, if someone says it makes no difference check out the Joni Mitchell HDCDs against the standard redbook cd on a HDCD enabled cd player, same mastering i think you will be won over.

dwilpower and Dingo like this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What do you mean, they "didn't use all the benefits of the technology"?

And what exactly are you comparing with Joni Mitchell?

9. swintonlion

I do not want to go off the thread to much as to upset anyone but in a nutshell the Beach Boys HDCDs didn't use peak extend features of HDCD, so comparing to a same master without the HDCD there would be little or no difference, on to Joni Mitchell HDCDs, they do use the peak extend and comparing her HDCDs to a non HDCD version same master you will hear a more dynamic sound where as the regular cd will sound a bit flat in comparison, apologies again for going off thread. This is when played on a HDCD chip cd player

10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Every time I see this thread on the front page, a small part of me thinks that maybe, just maybe, the remaining albums in this AP series have been announced. :shake:

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What "non HDCD version same master" exists for Joni Mitchell?

But regardless, that's not how HDCD works. A properly decoded HDCD CD that uses Peak Extend is not any more dynamic than a CD that doesn't use HDCD at all, it's just the bit depth is very slightly higher. But that doesn't translate into more dynamics.

Lance LaSalle and supermd like this.
  12. swintonlion

This subject is for another thread ,the Joni Mitchell CD remasters were released in the US in HDCD the UK version were not i have both and to my ears the HDCD versions sounds better by a margin,I can only say what I hear.

Dingo likes this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

If they sound that different, something had to be different with the mastering. HDCD or lack thereof won’t cause a large difference if all else is equal.

14. swintonlion

If you look up HDCD you will see it states that the dynamic range is increased amongst other things.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Which effectively isn't true. The only differences between a properly decoded HDCD recording and a straight 16-bit recording will be below -96dB, the noise floor of 16-bit. That is, basically inaudible. That's not just a theory either, it's something that's pretty easy to test.

C6H12O6, GimiSomeTruth and Shawn like this.
  16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So HDCD was a lie?

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

HDCD was greatly exaggerated.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  18. Dingo

Dingo Forum Resident

I agree re the Joni Mitchell HDCD ISSUES- a notable improvement. The BEACH BOYS SACD editions are lovely.

drbeachboy and swintonlion like this.
  19. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Forum Resident

Well, I'm a little late to the party. Just picked up these albums in the last couple weeks and have been listening to nothing but them.

[​IMG]

The question may have been asked and answered in the previous 100 pages, but what about Wild Honey, Friends, 20/20, and Carl and the Passions? Do they plan on putting them out eventually? Or maybe they have and I just missed them?

20. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

They definitely skipped them and haven't released them. Very disappointing.

Rock66, ARAMP1, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  21. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

If they haven't by now, I'm kinda guessing they won't, alas.

supermd likes this.
  22. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Better late than never. :D Enjoy what you have. :righton:

ARAMP1, supermd, Fox67 and 1 other person like this.
  23. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Chad said in one of his videos that there will be no more releases. :mad:

24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Nice scoop, great way to start. :righton:

Fox67 likes this.
  25. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Get the 1989 Japan Pastmasters versions for the other Capitol era albums.