Beach Boys Wild Honey Is Massively Underrated

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saborlord123, Apr 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Good, but not great in my opinion. It may be pretty much unknown by the general public, so in that sense maybe it could be called underrated.

Adam9 likes this.
  2. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Confession Time: I have never heard Wild Honey...

I do remember Mark Linnet talking about remixing the catalog. and he mentioned something to the effect of 'we found a much better tape of the Wild Honey, it's just sonically a million miles better than the album master.'
    ...but I also heard that there are aspects of the Mono mix that don't carry over to the Stereo mix.

So my question is... is the sonic upgrade and stereo mix worth missing out on the stuff only in the mono mix.

saborlord123 and tug_of_war like this.
  3. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

You'll have to check it out for yourself and see what you think. IMO, both mixes are essential, the mono mix because of the missing aspects and the stereo mix because of the improved sound.

andrewskyDE, saborlord123 and Exotiki like this.
  4. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

I'm a big fan of this album too. It's one their best, and hands down the best one they made after Brian stepped away from the group following the SMiLE sessions. Wild Honey and Sunflower are the only two from the "later" years that I still listen to from start-to-finish.

GetRhythm and oldsurferdude like this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

One has charm, one doesn’t.

6. tug_of_war

Yeah, the remix doesn't have any charm. But I listen to it sometimes just to hear the album, say, differently...

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  7. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

20/20 may be underrated. Not Wild Honey.

eternalise and oldsurferdude like this.
  8. tug_of_war

Holland is! :love:

Hedin likes this.
  9. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I think another issue I have with it being called 'massively underrated' is that when you at the month of December 1967 and see what else was released - look what it went up against:

Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold As Love
    Small Faces - There Are But 4 Small Faces
    Traffic - Mr. Fantasy
    The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request
    The Who - The Who Sell Out
    Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
    Leonard Cohen - Songs Of Leonard Cohen
    Donovan - A Gift From A Flower To A Garden
    Dusty Springfield - The Look Of Love
    Van Dyke Parks - Song Cycle

So on one hand I do really like the album but seeing it against these that month - it was one of the best holiday seasons ever and I can't see this album being better than the ones listed. I won't even get into November 1967 which had 'Magical Mystery Tour', 'Forever Changes', 'After Bathing At Baxter's', 'Disreali Gears'. Tough time to release a small album with little ambition but it's successful at its small scope.

sbeaupre, Tim 2 and tug_of_war like this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Now this is one that's underrated!

[​IMG]

11. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

i don't know about the remix being "without charm," i really enjoy listening to it, even aside from the "wow, this is really well done and academically interesting" side of the picture.

the mono mixes in the 60's sometimes sound like throwaways, and that sorta' makes sense (disposable pop music), but for all the work brian put into some of his productions, he almost seems like he'd lost interest by the time it came to mixing.

if forced to choose, i'd almost always come down on the side of mono for the beach boys on capitol, but a lot of the stereo mixes get a lot of play on my radio.

(oh, and yeah - i'd throw my vote in the "this is an under-rated album" bucket...)

smitquest

GetRhythm and tug_of_war like this.
  12. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Underrated by whom? Most BB fans have it in their Top 5-10.

13. hollywoodswag

hollywoodswag Forum Resident

Wild Honey, an album I try very hard to rate highly, could more accurately be described as Wild Honey and Darlin' plus other stuff. Those two songs are among the best in the band's catalog, but they are disproportionately good compared to the rest of the album.

14. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I love the simple charms and soulful whimsy of Wild Honey. I’m going to seek out that green label true mono version, but I do think the 2017 stereo version was like lifting a towel off the speaker.

Same for Smiley Smile, I actually detested that one until the stereo came along and revealed greater depth and clarity. And the bonus tracks allowed me to cobble together a more satisfying playlist.

As nice as the bonus tracks are for Wild Honey, that album really is kinda perfect, as is. Short and oh so sweet.

supermd, Ryan Lux, Smiler and 4 others like this.
  15. tug_of_war

Beware! I was arrested here for prefering remixes once... :cop:

TonyACT, Smiler and saborlord123 like this.
  16. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." Thread Starter

I think they both have their charm

17. Two great tracks indeed, but I personally think "Country Air" is absolutely magical and easily their equal...

Hedin, oldsurferdude and tug_of_war like this.
  18. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

An excellent album, if somewhat short and slight. Kind of like a more rocking version of “Friends”, even though WH came first.

Love the cover as well.

The title song and “Here Comes the Night” are a blast, and I like Brian’s sense of humor with the surprise ending on one of the songs. Darlin’ is a perfect top 40 hit as well.

19. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

It's good and includes two of my top 10 BB songs, Darlin' and the title track. A big drawback - it's only 24 minutes long. Surely they could have put a couple more songs on it.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  20. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

It's my favorite album of theirs. I prefer it to Pet Sounds by an almost immeasurable margin.

Rfreeman, Spazaru and pool_of_tears like this.
  21. eclecticfiend

eclecticfiend wavy air aficionado

To me Wild Honey + Friends aren’t just chill albums, they’re THE chill albums.

22. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

On my Top Ten list!

oldsurferdude likes this.
  23. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Boooooooooing! Poof !

24. Ok, folks. I have the original mono lp and the version that's part of the twofer from 1975 couple with Friends. I've listened to both. I like much better the version in the twofer. It definitely sounds better. Now I don't have the stereo 50th version yet. I'm assuming that this one will sound different from either of these based on what I've read above. I sure wish that I could hear the 1980 green Capitol label version.

25. radioalien

radioalien We came in peace for all mankind

I have a copy on vinyl, when i realized it was mono it freaked me out, really crazy sounding album

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.