Bear's Sonic Journals: Allman Brothers Band-Fillmore East, February 1970

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I scooped up 4 copies: I bought mine then saw the story about it being pulled and grabbed three more for my brother in law and two friends.

Myke likes this.
  2. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

Listening to the CD now, it's delicious.

3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Is it different than the one that came out years ago? I've got that one and don't necessarily want to buy it again if it's the same.

4. It’s a sonic upgrade in my opinion.

OE3, Hep Alien, bmoregnr and 3 others like this.
  5. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

But no additional music, correct?

6. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

No additional music that I can tell

OE3 and bmoregnr like this.
  7. spacecoyote

I've never heard the original, so I can't say, but the mastering was done by Jeffery Norman, for both this new release as well as the original 1997 release. According to the Owsley Stanley Foundation website the new version is a fresh transfer from the original tapes.

bmoregnr and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Utilizing the Plangent Process as well. I feel the bee version is an upgrade as well. Definitely Fuller on the low end.

Shvartze Shabbos and bmoregnr like this.
  9. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

I haven't seen any advertising or pre-order options for the vinyl release. I hope it isn't pulled / cancelled.

Important Release Dates
    • July 19-22: The CD will debut and be sold by OSF & ABB exclusively at The Peach Music Festival
    • July 24: Pre-release CDs will ship if purchased here.
    • July 27: high-resolution digital downloads of all source tapes will be available here.
    • August 10: CDs available in stores
    • November 23: Vinyl (analog reel-to-reel tape to follow

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

I managed to download the extra songs as I had business trip to the US. and they seem to want to Geo block the fans outside of the US.

Great to have the whole lot and in higher than CD quality

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

WE'RE GETTING VINYL AND A 3 CD SET !!!!!!!!!!!!

As I don't do downloads, I actually, willingly sacrificed having some previously unreleased Duane in my collection, but not for much longer !!!!!

From the Owsley Stanley Foundation's Facebook page :

Owsley Stanley Foundation

25 mins ·
    Just checking in to let you know we have two new Allman Brothers formats on the way, based on your requests:

For analog lovers, vinyl is arriving later than we originally promised, and is now expected after the holidays. We apologize for that, but … we’ve gotten our first listen to the test pressings and the sound is spectacular. This is a "Mountain Jam" for the ages, with giant bass and drums on a performance that Dickey Betts says is one of the best on record.

That giant bottom is one of the reasons for the delay. Paul Stubblebine, our mastering engineer for our analog editions and Bear’s long-time collaborator, reports that this is one of the toughest records he’s ever cut. Bear put the kick drums far to the right and so it took many iterations to preserve Bear’s idiosyncratic mix while keeping the needle in the groove.

As with our Doc Watson vinyl, this is an all-analog production. (In contrast, new vinyl today is typically cut from a digital master.) The extra time and expense to create an analog master is one reason new AAA productions are so rare, but we hew to the way Bear would want it -- sonics first.

Before the vinyl release will be ready, for those craving a physical copy of the source tapes that we previously released only on digital download, your requests have been heard and answered.

Our Deluxe Edition, 3-CD set, featuring Bear’s full recordings from all three nights of the Fillmore run in February 1970, is currently at the plant and should be available by mid-December. The set will include the already-released compilation CD along with 2 CDs of the source material from all three nights; we know many of you already own the compilation disc, so to be fair to you early adopters, we priced this as just a 2-CD set. We know we can't please everybody, but we are trying.

We also expanded the booklet to 16 pages, to include more photos from these nights, taken by Bear's good friend, Amalie Rothschild. The photos include an extremely rare shot of Bear in the soundbooth, up in the balcony overlooking the stage.

These recordings were not previously released in their entirety because they contain significant flaws, primarily due to reel changes in the middle of songs. It was Bear’s wish that they be released in whole because they are sonically pure and include important, previously unreleased material of the band with Duane in his prime, and so with the blessing of the Allman Brothers Band, they will be available for the first time on CD in limited-edition, numbered copies. Stay tuned for more...

[​IMG]

ARK, Sybex7254, Hep Alien and 26 others like this.
  12. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Great news! Thanks, MYKE.

GerryO, Myke and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  13. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I just bought the single disc in August.
    Oh well. It's never easy...

14. We all did. Some of us, twice. :whistle:

jhm likes this.
  15. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I will be buying the 3cd version for sure.

16. You and I both.

17. Dr. Luther's Assistant

As will I.
    (The wife mustn't know...)

18. Myke

But this 3 CD set will be priced as 2 CDs for those of you that did buy earlier.

19. spacecoyote

@MYKE

Do we know if the vinyl will be 45 or 33?

Clucking likes this.
  20. Myke

All I know is what I copied, and pasted above. I have NO inside track.

21. Dr. Luther's Assistant

I saw that. Strange, though. Why the reissue when this was apparently already in the works?

22. spacecoyote

I just zoomed in on the photo of the test pressing, and the Garrard is set to 33.

Clucking, Tuck1977 and Myke like this.
  23. Myke

If you've kept up with this from day one, you can read how they just couldn't bring themselves to believe there'd be enough of a market for physical pressings of incomplete recordings.
    That single CD tested the waters.

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’m in...will be my Christmas present

Skydog71 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.