Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah I figured Rubber Soul due to the superior mono mix would be the first to go sky high :shrug:

2. artieziff

artieziff Forum Resident

I'm thankful I checked the board last year as I wasn't going to seek these out, having the originals and the cd boxes. However right around March I picked up PPM and couldnt believe my ears. It truly is an amazing sounding record, although I had heard it dozens of times before. After that, I knew of a store that had most of them, so I got whatever I could afford that day from them and filled in the gaps with barely used copies online - not to mention some were still in print. I would have gotten even more of them new but the store I found them at raised the prices the day after I bought the rarest ones (Help, MMT, Pepper).
    About a week later I discovered my local chain had the box for $300. I went home that night, gathered up some trade fodder, but it was gone the next day. Someone drove around and bought them from every location in the area the night before, but they found a few more at different locations...give us a week, we'll call you. No call a week later so I went to the store, there it was out on the floor for sale. "Oh hey, there you are, we figured you'd come in sooner or later". So I almost lost it twice! Currently my box is sealed but I just cant leave my records sealed, so that will change ince I get my storage in order. And my son will love his mono set once he gets a little older.

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It actually makes perfect sense. For the separate albums they didn't press the same quantity of each album, as clearly they realised some would be more popular than others.

So they made more Peppers and White Albums as they would be the most in demand, then Revolver and Rubber Soul due to the quality of the albums, the least copies being the first few (as people would already have mono copies of those from some years back) and the poorer albums like Beatles For Sale. There may have been 50,000 copies of Revolver pressed and 10,000 copies of Beatles For Sale.

So it makes absolute sense that the big four would be the last to go (RS, R, Sgt P, WA) and the others would go first.

I think they slightly underestimated that people would buy the whole set as well as singles over time, which kind of messes up their calculations.

4. MusicFan57

MusicFan57 Forum Resident

Do you have any clue how many copies they made of each album? I thought maybe the numbering on the White Album would give us a clue. So far, I have not seen any in the 90k range. The two I bought might be the highest numbers I've seen; the highest being 84,204. I'm happy the ones left are the ones I would most want, mainly Revolver and Rubber Soul. Those are my two favorites. And very happy to have found 2 numbered White Albums!

Greenmonster2420 likes this.
  5. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

The publicity releases said that in total one million mono LPs were pressed... a portion of those would have been allocated to whatever number of box sets were issued, and then the remaining albums were sold separately.

There has never been any official word about the quantities of each particular album that were pressed, however.

- Kevin

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. MusicFan57

Interesting and thank you. If they had been pressed equally, that would be slightly over 90k per title. But it does seem like the early albums had a smaller pressing number, seeing as how those disappeared so quickly.

7. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

I finally bought MMT at Discogs (arrived a couple of days ago), it was the missing piece on my "Beatles Mono whishlist" (except for Help! and BFS, I much prefer their stereo mixes). Oh man, this thing sounds GREAT! I have the 2012 stereo LP, and I must say that the mono wins all the way...at least sonically.

andrewskyDE, AllenR, raveoned and 3 others like this.
  8. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I agree about MMT. I bought it from someone here on the forum...it is truly delicious...(thank you kind sir)...

puelche and raveoned like this.
  9. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Sad to see these have dried up in the stores.

It was amazing to me that I could walk into a store just a couple of years ago and purchase any Beatles album on vinyl and choose between mono and stereo.

10. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  12. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

The double Pepper remaster is going for £100 now....... They're all creeping up.

I remember when I was buying my Mono albums last year, I couldn't get a copy of pepper for love nor money, I ended up ringing around about 15 or so "brick and mortar" record shops around the UK and eventually found one that had a new sealed copy for the list price. I also struggled to get Please Please Me... I ended up buying that from a retailer in Gibraltar of all places. I couldn't find a copy in the UK. This was all before I discovered Discogs by the way..... Since I discovered Discogs my bank balance has suffered dreadfully :shake:

ODShowtime likes this.
  13. Alex Zabotkin

Alex Zabotkin Forum Resident

14. bettsaj

15. bettsaj

I saw one for £100 earlier today.... can't find it now

16. MusicFan57

I saw that. A day or two before that, an opened 2014 mono Pepper sold for $74.99. I was blown away that an opened one sold for $169.99. I posted about it in another thread. Also, like others have mentioned, the 2017 2LP Pepper selling close to $100 on ebay and acoustic sounds has them for $50, free shipping. I actually ordered one, should be here in a day or two.

Really want a mono box set. All I have currently, is what's available retail, RS, R, 2 White Albums and the Mono Masters.

17. T-Bo

T-Bo Forum Resident

Do not play mono pressings with a stereo cartridge and don’t think that pressing a mono button on your phono amp will do the job, it will not. Not because of possible damage or anything like that but because the sound will be no where near the potential of what the mono disc can produce. There is no point in paying out and wasting good money on a mono pressing by playing it with a stereo cartridge as you will only be hearing half of the disc’s capabilities. The differences are that obvious.

18. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

I enjoy them very much with my modest stereo cart, thank you for the warning. :tiphat:

via_atx likes this.
  19. A half century with a stereo cart has not lessened my enjoyment of mono Beatles albums or any other mono record. But I get the premise.

20. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Wow.

dustybooks and OptimisticGoat like this.
  21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

This popping up is just making me kick myself all over again for not jumping on the box set when Music Direct still had it and there was a 20% off vinyl code... My thinking at the time and any time I had considered it before that was, yeah, it would be cool to have, but am I really going to listen to all of the Beatles albums often enough to justify the cost of the whole box? The answer to that question is still "no" but it still would have been a deal compared with the cost of getting the remaining albums I would like to have now that most of them are gone at retail.

22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

So then I why didn't you just buy the Individual Albums you wanted if not interested in the Box Set at that time you were looking at the Music Direct Box Price and 20% Discount)? I felt the same way about buying the Box Set, as I had no interest in their early Boy Band Pop Music and only was interested in their Psychedelic-Rock Era(and last 2 Albums although not part of the Mono Vinyl Records and CDs), although did buy The White Album(still only like about half of the Songs on it) and Mono Masters(like the Songs on the 2nd Half and the Vinyl Gets great reviews from those who bought it-I got it from a SHF Member breaking up the Mono Vinyl Box to sell the Albums individually at the time).

I also buy the Mono CDs from another SHF Member breaking up the Box Set, so did decide to buy 'Rubber Soul' due to a lot of Beatles Fans ranking it as one of their Best Albums(I do see how it was a transitional Album from the early Pop Songs to the Better Music starting with 'Revolver' so liked it more than I expected and the CD has both the Mono & the Stereo Versions on it, so just nice to have as part of my Collection even if I do not play it much).

I will admit after seeing some Members selling the CD Box Set New or NM Condition for what I paid for the Individual CD Titles Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album and Mono Masters, wish I would have known I could have gotten the Box Set for only $90 just to get the Book, but doubt I would listen to the first 5 CDs except for a few Songs('Yesterday' is a rare case of an Early Song that I rank High on my Favorite Beatles Songs).

23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I have some of them, but I erroneously assumed I had more time to gradually collect all the ones I wanted. Part of my hesitation was that none of this is music I don't already own at least a couple of versions of, they just are in mono. There's definitely an element of wanting what I can't have (understanding I absolutely can have it, just for way more money than it would have cost a year ago).

24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

These were pressed in stereo, but they are the mono mixes. Not sure if that makes a difference in what you're trying to say.

25. Cause 4-5 years wasn’t enough ? People get college degrees in that time period :tiphat:

OptimisticGoat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.