Beatles 2014 mono LPs going out of print...*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

No worries. The store is Audiophile Reference Recordings — that's where I got some of my mono's. If I ever see a Pepper around I'll grab it for ya!

mikizee likes this.
  2. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

Here’s an idea, in case no ones mentioned it yet.

What if the mono LPs were brought back on a preorder basis for a new round of pressings? Like a music club, offer limited quantities, preorder single albums or the whole lot, and then whoever owns the music could press to fill the orders? The kind of media that would drum up would spark interest from other outlets who would also want to “pre-order” and then before we know it, there’s a demand for thousands of each title.

Make it happen.

3. Slowdazzle

Slowdazzle Well-Known Member

Just checked my order status for my mono Sgt. Pepper from Merchbar... cancelled.

4. paolo

paolo Senior Member

And yet he was the champion of the Yellow Submarine Songtrack!

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Of course! I always forget that was remixed. Very subtlety too. I almost never play it, but remember thinking it sounded good. I didn't like Let It Be... Naked much.

6. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

George did initiate the ‘Love’ project and approved the remixes on Yellow Submarine songtrack too.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Forgot that too!

For years I didn't listen to that, it seemed like it was going to be awful. Then I picked up a cheap CD from a charity shop only about six months ago.

It's really good!

The only thing is, what I personally have found is that the remixes for YS Songtrack, 1+ as well as Let It Be... Naked and Love have been more an enjoyable novelty to me than anything else. I've played them once or twice then gone back to the originals. Admittedly, this could just be a perception I have of them 'not being the real thing'.

I do listen to The Who Sell Out remix almost everytime I play that album though, even though I have an original Track mono vinyl LP and the deluxe edition. Also as soon as I heard the 2015 remix of Status Quo's Rockin' All Over the World album I liked it a lot more. I haven't played the original since.

A good and necessary remix sorts out fundamental flaws in the original mix. The original stereo White Album and Abbey Road mixes have barely and no major ones. Long Long Long was the most improved track on the remixed White Album to me. It's a song I love but never cared for the original stereo mix of much.

jumpinjulian and Milu like this.
  8. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

Well, now I know why Merchbar hasn't responded to my inquiries -- my order was just canceled, like others here. You know, it stinks to high heaven that they would advertise this in their newsletter, only to cancel all the orders less than a month later.

It's looking more and more like the skeptics were right, and we true believers were dreaming.

The Beave likes this.
  9. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

I’m guessing someone at a vinyl warehouse mistakenly informed the retailers that they had stock available, maybe they mistook the mono for stereo. Then discovered their mistake.

Or, someone at a wholesaling warehouse DID have Sgt Pepper mono’s, but withdrew them when they realised how much they’re worth these days.

10. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Yup, my order of four Peppers on Merchbar was cancelled yesterday. Was gonna give 'em out as Xmas presents. Oh well. Hopefully my order of Help, AHDN and White Album still comes.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The last thing I’d play them would be a stereo remix...

john lennonist likes this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It wasn’t a chore for a long period of time and it was made clear it was limited (as is almost all vinyl these days). Thinking the world serves to fulfill your, mine or anyone’s wants and desires into perpetuity - whether it be Beatles mono vinyl, old cars, or whatever - is the very definition of arrogance IMO.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    OptimisticGoat likes this.
  13. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I would want newer listeners to hear the music, not be distracted by the weirdness of the mixes. It was different for previous generations, we were kinda used to awkward mixes, it was just how you knew you were listening to something from the 60's. But I don't think a person under 20 today would have that context. But I also don't think a person under 20 would care whether the music was recorded last year or in 1965, they'd just want it to sound pleasing and natural (to them). If I had to play Pepper to someone who'd never heard it, and mono wasn't an option, the 2017 would be an easy choice. I've spent a lot of time with the new mixes, and then 30 years previous with the originals, and I don't think it's the kind of blasphemous, vastly different listening experience some people seem to think it is...it's all the same notes and sounds, they just sound a little more cohesive and natural together. I really hope they get to Revolver, so I can finally hear a stereo mix of "Taxman" that doesn't suck.

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

And WW2 documentaries should show jet airplanes and helicopters too? And Shakespeare should be revised to 144 character chunks with a bunch of F bombs and emojis because it doesn’t have context for a 20 year old otherwise? And who wants to watch the black and white version of Citizen Kane?

Revolver, Sgt Pepper and The White Album can all be justifiably argued to be the best rock album of all time. It’s a shame those “weird”, “awkward” mixes hindered their timeless, artistic value all of these years.

And lastly...the stereo mix of Revolver doesn’t suck.

Easy-E, DRM and Stencil like this.
  15. MusicFan57

MusicFan57 Forum Resident

Is there anyone left that is still scheduled to receive the mono Pepper from either uDiscover or Merchbar, or has everyone had their Pepper's cancelled?
    Still trying to decide if it's worth the hassle to order Help from Merchbar. lol

16. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Guys it's not some kind of conspiracy. All these crazy theories are getting ridiculous. Either there was extra old stock found and then quickly depleted, or it was entirely a mistake on Universal's part that these got added back into the site (most likely the exact same pre-order webpage from 2014). To actually think this is some kind of marketing stunt is ridiculous. And don't get me wrong, I want these to be available for everyone more than most of you do, but it's just not gonna happen for right now.

marcb, OobuJoobu and Mazzy like this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

1. Can't win, if you don't play.
    2. It's only been Peppers and one result of cancelling an entire order that inc. a title other than Pepper.
    3. You don't have to pay in advance with Merchbar do you ? So, what's the risk ?

marcb likes this.
  18. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The 2017 Peppers remix is heavily compressed. Overly loud. Smeared.

marcb likes this.
  19. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Well said.

20. MusicFan57

Is it for sure you don't get charged right away?

21. Myke

I thought that was what I read earlier in the thread. I went with Universal, as I've dealt with them before. They do charge in advance.

22. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

You do pay in advance with Merchbar.

23. MusicFan57

Ok, thanks for clarifying.

To Help or not to Help? That is the question!

24. Myke

And you're sure it's not just a Pre Authorization ?

25. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Find me one moment in the Pepper remix where they added an element that wasn't there in the original, or any seconds of music were lost. You're comparing a simple remix to Sharon Osbourne-level revisionism, and that's ridiculous.

And yeah, it does suck. Some tracks are worse than others, but it kicks off with one of the worst offenders. I definitely wouldn't introduce someone to the Beatles that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.