Beatles 90's lp reissue question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by japes, Oct 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. japes

japes Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this has been answered in previous threads. But anyways, I was wondering if the the Beatles 90's reissue lps (the ones with the big limited edition sticker attached on the front) has all of the inserts of the original lps (specifically Sgt. Pepper and the White Album). In addition, how do these reissues sound? Thanks.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  2. Shoes4Industry

Shoes4Industry Senior Member

I believe these are the American pressed Capitol ones and although I haven't heard one, the overall opinion of these is that they stink.

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I don't have it in fromt of me, but I think the Peppers I bought does have the inserts but on thinner stock. I think they use the same masters as the CDs if that tells you how the sound is.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

They should be maroon-label Capitols and, believe it or not folks, the matrix shows they used older mothers to make Sgt Pepper. It's a mixed bag among them all for the US reissues. Anyone could do better with anything else....

5. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I noticed the 90's LP looked like they were made counterparts to the CDs because the first four LPs were in mono. I bought the first four in the early 80's which were imports and they were in stereo. I thought, too that all the 90's LPs were simply the same masters used to make the CDs, but I didn't buy them, so I can't make that judgement.

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I have the vinyl box (digital master w/maroon-labels, yuck) but I did see an opened 'Let It Be' "Limited Edition" (again yuck) in a Tower Records. If I recall correctly, I was amazed to see it had a green apple (not Capitol or red apple). This was the only 'LIB' I've ever seen with green....

Todd

7. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

The ABBEY ROAD LP also has the Apple label and I'm told, so does the WHITE ALBUM.

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

And Yellow Submarine as well. All others not originally issued on Apple have the maroon Capitol label.

9. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Abbey Road apple is white from this issue if I remember right.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  10. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

The LP's you are referring to were released by Capitol in late 1995 and marketed as a "Last On Vinyl" series. They are mastered from the same digital source tapes as the CD's and are vinyl counterparts to the CD catalogue. 13 titles were pressed - Please Please Me through to Let It Be.

All albums up to Magical Mystery Tour have the Purple Capitol label. All albums from the White Album to Let It Be are on a light green Apple label. Sgt Pepper and White Album both have the original inserts in them.

I own a set of these LP's and aside from their slightly collectable status as the last ever pressings of the Beatles catalogue by Capitol in the US, they really ain't that great. Vinyl quality varies from acceptable to pretty awful and they don't sound all that hot either - even the still in-print British 'digital' LP's are far, far better.

If sound quality is your priority here, avoid them! If you're looking for a relatively inexpensive way to get the Beatles LP catalogue on new unplayed vinyl, you could do a lot worse than buy a set of the current British LP's from www.redtrumpet.com or import them from the UK from www.diversevinyl.com

Better still, you could look around for a decent condition BC13 box set. This has the analog-mastered British LP catalogue and the first four albums in stereo (no MMT though). The BC13 was in production from 1978 through to 1988 so there are plenty of these around on the 2nd had market. They can be had for $150 - $200.

Cheers

Kipper

11. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

My copy has a light Green Apple label. There was a white apple label version of the Rubber Soul LP which got mis-pressed by EMI UK late 1999. A very small number of these got into the major record stores here in the UK, and they are now worth a lot of money (~$300!)

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  12. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

You're right. EMI in the UK and Capitol in the US both re-released the British catalogue on LP in 1988 to match the CD's, ie first four LP's in mono. These LP's - and the subsequent 1990s re-pressings - have all been from the digital masters used for the CD's. I doubt we'll ever see analog-mastered LP's of the Beatles catalogue ever again :(

Dan The Man1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.