Beatles Abbey Road BBC2 TV special 1969

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Mar 5, 2017.

1. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

OK. A bit more.

Rage according to Wikipedia:

Rage
    (styled as rage) is a popular all-night Australian music video program broadcast on ABC on Friday nights, Saturday mornings and Saturday nights. It was first screened on the weekend of Friday, 17 April 1987. With Soul Train and Video Hits no longer being produced, it is the oldest music television program currently still in production as of 2018. On Friday and Saturday nights, Rage typically starts between 11pm and 1am. The program is classified 'MA 15+' until 5am Saturdays, and finishes at 11am (previously Saturdays at 11:30am) on Saturdays and at 7am on Sundays.

I managed to find this playlist:

Saturday 8 December 2001
    11:15pm
    Some Other Guy - The BEATLES EMI
    Twist & Shout/Interview/She Loves You - The BEATLES with Dusty Springfield EMI
    Love Me Do - The BEATLES EMI
    Please Please Me - The BEATLES EMI

Baby It's You - The BEATLES EMI
    M.B.E. - The BEATLES - News Footage Rage
    This Boy - The BEATLES EMI
    From Me To You - The BEATLES EMI
    I Want To Hold Your Hand - The BEATLES EMI
    Can't Buy Me Love - The BEATLES EMI
    Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby - The BEATLES EMI
    The Beatles In Australia - The BEATLES - News Footage Rage
    Can't Do/All My/She Loves U/C Buy/Twist/L T Sall - The BEATLES - Medley EMI

12:00am
    Ringo Starr's Tonsilectomy, 1964 - The BEATLES - News Footage Rage
    A Hard Days Night - The BEATLES EMI
    I'll Cry Instead - The BEATLES EMI
    I Should Have Known Better - The BEATLES EMI

I Feel Fine - The BEATLES EMI
    Ticket To Ride - The BEATLES EMI
    Help! - The BEATLES EMI
    You're Going To Lose That Girl - The BEATLES EMI
    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - The BEATLES EMI
    Is Paul Dead? - The BEATLES - News Footage Rage
    Yesterday - The BEATLES EMI

12:30am
    Day Tripper - The BEATLES EMI
    Nowhere Man/Rock 'N Roll Music/Love Me Do - The BEATLES EMI
    George & Patti Announce Their Engagement - The BEATLES - News Footage Rage
    Paperback Writer - The BEATLES EMI
    Eleanor Rigby - The BEATLES EMI
    A Day In The Life - The BEATLES EMI
    Brian Epstein's Death - The BEATLES - News Footage Rage
    Back In The U.S.S.R. - The BEATLES EMI
    Hey Bulldog - The BEATLES EMI

Octopus' Garden - The BEATLES EMI
    Strawberry Fields - The BEATLES EMI
    Penny Lane - The BEATLES EMI

1:00am

George Harrison with Ravi Shankar & others - The BEATLES - News Footage Rage
    All You Need Is Love - The BEATLES EMI
    Hello Goodbye - The BEATLES EMI
    Magical Mystery Tour - The BEATLES EMI
    I Am The Walrus - The BEATLES EMI
    The Fool On The Hill - The BEATLES EMI
    Hey Jude - The BEATLES EMI
    Revolution - The BEATLES EMI

1:30am
    Get Back - The BEATLES EMI
    One After 909 - The BEATLES EMI
    The Ballad of John & Yoko - The BEATLES EMI
    Something - The BEATLES EMI
    Let It Be - The BEATLES EMI
    The Long & Winding Road - The BEATLES EMI
    Anthology Story - The BEATLES EMI

2:00am
    Free As A Bird - The BEATLES EMI
    Real Love - The BEATLES EMI
    All Things Must Pass - GEORGE HARRISON - Interview & Songs EMI
    Ding Dong - GEORGE HARRISON EMI
    True Love - GEORGE HARRISON EMI

2:30am
    Crackerbox Palace - GEORGE HARRISON EMI
    This Song - GEORGE HARRISON EMI
    Blow Away - GEORGE HARRISON EMI
    Faster - GEORGE HARRISON EMI
    All Those Years Ago - GEORGE HARRISON Warner
    Got My Mind Set On You - GEORGE HARRISON Warner
    When We Was Fab - GEORGE HARRISON Warner
    This Is Love - GEORGE HARRISON EMI

3:00am
    Handle Me With Care - TRAVELING WILBURYS Warner
    She's My Baby - TRAVELING WILBURYS Warner
    Give Peace A Chance - PLASTIC ONO BAND EMI
    Instant Karma - JOHN LENNON EMI
    Imagine - JOHN LENNON Polydor
    Stand By Me/Slippin' And Slidin' - JOHN LENNON EMI
    Jealous Guy - JOHN LENNON EMI

3:30am
    Happy Christmas (War Is Over) - JOHN LENNON EMI
    Woman - JOHN LENNON EMI
    Nobody Told Me - JOHN LENNON Polydor
    I'm Stepping Out - JOHN LENNON EMI
    Grow Old With Me - JOHN LENNON EMI
    Every Man Has A Woman Who Loves Him - JOHN LENNON Polydor
    Oh My Love - JOHN LENNON EMI

Maybe I'm Amazed - WINGS EMI
    Band On The Run - PAUL McCARTNEY & WINGS EMI

4:00am
    Helen Wheels - WINGS EMI
    Mull Of Kintyre - WINGS EMI

London Town - WINGS EMI
    Coming Up - PAUL McCARTNEY EMI
    Waterfalls - PAUL McCARTNEY EMI
    Ebony & Ivory - PAUL McCARTNEY & STEVIE WONDER EMI
    Take It Away - PAUL McCARTNEY EMI

4:30am
    Say Say Say - PAUL McCARTNEY & MICHAEL JACKSON EMI
    Spies Like Us - PAUL McCARTNEY EMI
    Freedom - PAUL McCARTNEY EMI
    Only You - RINGO STARR EMI
    Wrack My Brain - RINGO STARR EMI
    Stop And Take The Time To Smell The Roses - RINGO STARR EMI
    La De Da - RINGO STARR EMI

As you can see it includes an entry for Octopus's Garden. This ties in with the video included in a previous post. So it just remains to ascertain where the clip originated and whether the remainder of the Saturday Night Live show survives if this proves to be the source of the clip. It is credited to EMI but I would imagine this is just for the music rather than being the source of the visuals.

This plot thickens.

I did (and probably still do - I need to track it down) have a VHS tape of a Rage Beatles special which would have predated this by quite a few years (probably from the 1980s. I don't recall it having the Octopus's Garden segment but I will check.

2. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I used to have a 'bootleg' RAGE VHS I bought at a rekkid fair back in the 80s from OZ TV and I can't remember OG but I do remember it having a LOT of rare(ish) solo clips and was the first place I saw the 'Blow Away' promo. It got a lot of use that tape, long gone now.

3. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Sounds like the same one. I should still have mine somewhere. And you are quite correct, it was the first time that I had seen some of the solo clips too. If I can find it I'll post a track listing.

4. edenofflowers

Cheers. It has a photocopied cover with the track list on back, it got a LOT of play back then.

5. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Does sound familiar. I'm sure that mine had a photocopied cover (yellow paper) with the track list on the rear. I've just had a quick look through some old tapes without luck. It may still be elsewhere so I haven't given up but it may have to wait a little.

edenofflowers likes this.
  6. Calico

Calico Senior Member

I have this... but no trace o "Octopus's Garden".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

I also have that RAGE bootleg VHS somewhere in a box...
    Isn't it amazing that we are once again excited over what seems to be "new" or rarely seen footage ? (The is BBC show and the supposed animated bits - as little involvement from the Fabs themselves there is).

Calico and edenofflowers like this.
  8. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

I have now located the VHS of the Rage Beatles special and will post the track list tomorrow. It has a different cover but I can't tell if the contents are the same or not. Mine does not contain Octopus's Garden either. I'd guess it would be a year or two earlier but am not 100% sure of the year.

9. edenofflowers

That's the fella! Nice to see it again.

The Beave and dormouse like this.
  10. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

Just checked my Rage tape track listing. It is more or less the same as above but ends at track 49. Looks like a 3hr tape was used! I did recall that there was a longer version but never saw it. Incidentally mine has a different sleeve which is glued directly to the card sleeve. It is called "Sgt Pepper" with Rage on the spine and has a picture of the fab four sitting on the floor in their Pepper uniforms - not as imaginative or designed as the one above. And no Octopus's Garden of course!

edenofflowers likes this.
  11. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

It was listed at one million dollars on Ebay, ten or fifteen years ago.

12. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

For 1969, and previewing an unreleased Beatles album, it is strange that no home recorded audio of the show has turned up.

caravan70 and ajsmith like this.
  13. Calico

Calico Senior Member

I had forgotten to inclute to selfmade inserts that were inside the VHS box, which reflected more accurately the actual contents of the tape, since there was much more on it than what appears on the original info sheet that came with it.

But still no octopus...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

In 1969 in Britain. 99.99 % of people had no way of recording anything. Cassette recorders were expensive and rare. It was only in the mid 70s that they became affordable.

15. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

But so many of the BBC radio, and TV, recordings exist from home tapers.

The Beave and YardByrd like this.
  16. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

A lot of stuff was taped with reel-to-reel recorders, though... case in point, last Yardbirds BBC radio appearance in March 1968 only exists now because somebody taped it off air with their reel-to-reel... and it saw release on last year's Yardbirds at the BBC CD/LP... sounds fairly good too!

caravan70 and kt66brooklyn like this.
  17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

More 70's than 60's.

18. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Beat me to it

19. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

It’s not correct that in the 60s home taping of TV and radio shows was completely unknown. Unusual maybe; it wasn’t done in an everyday way like the public would tape stuff onto VCRs 20 years later, but it wasn’t that hard to do with a reel to reel if you had a mind to.

The evidence is the huge amount of stuff that survives in off airs from the era: every 60s episode of Dr Who was home taped this way, to pick just the most famous example.

More pertinently, in the preceding months to this LNLU edition, in exactly the same timeslot, the audios of The Kinks, Fleetwood Mac, Caravan and Family editions of Colour Me Pop were audiotaped by members of the public in this manner.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  20. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

This is an international forum, everyone doesn't live were you are.

El Rich-o likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

the bbc was notorious for erasing/reusing tapes, it would be terrible if this is the case here, but it is sadly likely

22. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

A bit more info about the Beatles "Rage" programs. There was about 5 or 6 Beatles specials over the years shown on "Rage". I believe they did their first special in late 1987. They then broadcast further editions every 2 or 3 years but most of these had 95% the exact same content but they would sometimes throw in one or two of the most recent solo promos from that year to bring it up to date however the group years content remained basically the same despite the fans protests. This all changed in December 2001 when me and my mate were asked to actually program the show as a tribute to George Harrison who had passed in November. In the past "guest programmers" were always well known musicians/celebrities, mainly Aussies but occasionally an international star would be asked to host & program if they were in the country on tour (eg Julian Lennon). So for two fans to be asked was a first that has not happened since (to my knowledge). At this point in time "Rage" had not done a Beatles special in quite a few years maybe 5 years or more? To our shock and pleasure they asked us to bring along any rare footage we had of broadcast quality, so we took along a big bag of VHS tapes of all sorts of rarities (we were actually amongst the World's biggest Beatles video collectors at the time). They also allowed us to look at their "bible".. a big red book that listed every music video in the ABC library! We had carte blanche to put the show together using any clips they had in their library plus they allowed us to screen with the producer other clips from our collections that we brought along and if deemed suitable for broadcast they were added to the playlist. This is why "Octopuses Garden" in this edition and no other cos we spotted it in the ABC list of archives and like everyone else we were fascinated to see what it could possibly be. It had no description other than just the song title in the "Red Book". We also managed to get away with bootleg copies of a few rare promos that had not been shown on Australian TV before like: "Some Other Guy"; "I Feel Fine"; "Ticket To Ride"; "Daytripper"; "Paperback Writer"; "Penny Lane" (colour); "Strawberry Fields Forever" (colour); "All You Need is Love (Colourised); "Hey Bulldog"; "Something"; "Octopuses Garden"; "All Things Must Pass EPK"; "Maybe I'm Amazed"; "Band on The Run" and "Helen Wheels". Due to us these were all used in this edition for the very first (and so far last) time. We would have had included even more had our bootleg quality been up to scratch so they, in their wisdom, unfortunately put in a lot of the usual same old material. But it was better than it had been in years. We even received a screen credit at the very end of the broadcast. It was a wonderful experience and I'm glad we unearthed something quite rare that we had no idea about until now. I had thought that the "Octopuses Garden" promo was something the ABC put together at the time as they had a habit of doing this (as did the BBC) when a proper promo was not available or never even made. To think this is possibly from the "Abbey Road" special is very cool. Lets hope we can get definite proof. BTW there was no other songs from the "Abbey Road" album listed in their archives leading me to think this really may only be an ABC put together clip otherwise you would think the whole special would be listed unless they cut it all up at some point and over the years only kept this one song? Hope I've helped to shed some light on this clip.

23. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

Regarding the BBC TV Late Night Line Up "Abbey Road" programme. I actually sat up to watch this, and about half an hour before it came on, there was a huge power cut in my hometown, so I never saw it!! I still feel the disappointment to this day!. Anyway, all my school pals saw it, and when I bought the album a week or so later and showed them the cover, I remember one of them looking at the front photo and saying that there'd been film footage of the crossing photo shoot in the TV programme - he spoke of it as slow motion footage, so perhaps it was a frame by frame collage of the different shots that were taken. He was quite definite about it. And he also mentioned cartoon footage.
    (As an aside, I remember watching the Our World TV show going out live in 1967, and when the All You Need is Love segment came on, the TV screen started to jump about and squiggle and fall apart as soon as the song started. My dad had to hold me back from putting my foot through the screen. )

caravan70, supermd, bekayne and 10 others like this.
  24. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for sharing. Very interesting insight into this special; sounds like a dream come true!

Out of interest, do you know what the clips used for 'Nowhere Man/Rock 'N Roll Music/Love Me Do' and 'I'll Cry Instead' in the 2001 special were? I'm thinking the first one might be live footage from Japan or Germany 1966, but then where does Love Me Do fit in? And unless I'm missing something, I've never known of there being any visuals for 'I'll Cry Instead'. (I know it was written for the escape sequence of AHDN but they ended up using 'Cant Buy Me Love' for that bit).

25. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

This is interesting. Please see my post on the first page which speculates on footage from the Abbey Road LP photo shoot - post #8.