Beatles Abbey Road BBC2 TV special 1969

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ajsmith, Mar 5, 2017.

1. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Even if the BBC wiped the tapes, there is a chance that someone might have taped the show, and there is also a chance that a copy was distributed to another television station. There might be multiple copies. I still wonder how the “Octopus’s Garden” promo was in the Rage archives.

2. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

The "Rage" "I'll Cry Instead" was a misprint.. just checked my copy taken direct off the TV Studio Master and it is instead "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" from the "Help" film. They actually played the same clip again in the show. "Nowhere Man" & "Rock n Roll Music" are both Live in Japan in 1966 and there is NO "Love Me Do" so that's another ABC typo. Also "Magical Mystery Tour" is in fact "Beatles Movie Medley". Probably a couple more typos too taken from the "Rage" website.

ajsmith likes this.
  3. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Speaking of "Octopus's Garden", has the footage of Ringo lip-singing "Octopus's Garden" from the "With A Little Help From My Friend" TV special that aired on ITV (filmed on 8 December 1969, broadcast on 23 December 1969) ever turned up somewhere?
    In this specific case, we have an actual Beatle performing a song from "Abbey Road" at a moment in time the band was still officially together.

Anyone here who saw it when it originally aired?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  4. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

We don't actually know that this clip is from the Saturday Night Live show. That is just speculation. If it appeared in the ABC archives it must have originated from somewhere. It could have been part of the Abbey Road special in which case you would expect the whole show to have been with ABC at some point. It could also have been put together bt ABC themselves or by another supplier. The answer lies with ABC. They may have documentation to confirm its origin. They could be asked.[/QUOTE]

The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  5. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member Thread Starter

AFAIK it has not: I agree this is also a fascinating oddity from the end of The Beatles era that it would be amazing to see.

blutiga, The Ole' Rocker and Calico like this.
  6. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

Yes, I've always wondered, assuming what my school friend said at the time was accurate, that if footage from the Abbey Road cover shoot existed, why it has never turned up in recent years. But I must emphasise, he said this on the day the album was released back in 1969, so he was seeing the cover for the first time, and had no reason to muddy up his recollection of a TV show he'd seen just a week before. And the zebra crossing scene is pretty unmistakable, is it not.

7. The Ole' Rocker

God, so we have speculative footage of the “Abbey Road” photoshoot, and Ringo miming to “Octopus’s Garden.”

8. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

There is no footage of the Abbey Road cover shoot..peoples memories are not enough to go by and Ringo didn't mime to the album version on the TV special (which has been sadly wiped or completely lost).. this is what he actually did:
    A television tribute to George Martin, With A Little Help From My Friends, was filmed on this day (Dec 14, 1969).
    Ringo Starr was among the guests taking part in the televisual spectacular, which also featured Dudley Moore, The Hollies, Blue Mink, Lulu, Spike Milligan and dancers Pan's People, plus Martin himself conducting the 40-piece George Martin Orchestra.
    With A Little Help From My Friends was filmed in Studio Four at The Television Centre in Leeds. It was made by Yorkshire Television, which the previous year had won the ITV franchise for the north of England.
    Starr's contribution was to mime to Octopus's Garden. Because of a Musicians' Union ban on lip-syncing on British television, however, parts of the song had been re-recorded on 8 December to give the impression of a live performance.
    The re-recording featured new vocals, piano, lead guitar and bass guitar, with all but the vocals performed by session musicians.
    With A Little Help From My Friends was shown in most ITV regions from 6-7pm on Christmas Eve. Its producer was David Mallet.

caravan70, supermd, bekayne and 3 others like this.
  9. The Ole' Rocker

Note the use of the word ‘speculative.’

10. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Fortunately, the audio has survived and is available on the underground George Harrison CD "Through Many Years".

ajsmith likes this.
  11. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Home video recordings were very rare at the time (and I believe technically illegal) although they did exist, so that route is a long shot.

The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  12. ajsmith

Surely that would be a George Martin CD, not a George Harrison one?

13. Doug Sulpy

Doug Sulpy Forum Resident

No, it's a Harrison boot.

14. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

15. ajsmith

Huh. Weird that’d be on a Harrison boot when the special had no original Harrison content.

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Anything is possible in the bootleg world. In fact, I have a Beatles bootleg with Don Ho music .... ;)

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I like the way the Beatles couldn't be bothered with this promo special, and were happy just to drop this album, the EVENT album of the year, and be done with it. This kept a mystique deep and heavy for the band.

18. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Yes I remember that...if you even questioned why it was priced so high he'd bite your head off in reply! Mind you my memory is that he said it was a special print made for a Let It Be related party where all 4 signed it...I also remember he was selling prints of it too for $100 or something.

numer9 likes this.
  19. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

This posted itself, I had no hand in it.

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Oh, I like Don Ho.
    I don't like bugs.
    This year, the seven year locusts are shedding their skins.
    (As for Beatle music...). I would never buy it! :D

vmajewsk and lennonology like this.
  21. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Beatles art on sale for $2.25m
    The following was from one of Vincent Ruello's web pages where he attempted to sell this before he turned to eBay. His eBay listing along with another in which Ruello attempted to sell publishing rights to the image are gone.
    While the program may no longer be available, I'm confident Mr. Lewisohn has plundered the BBC's Written Archives Centre for all it contains on this production.

bekayne and ajsmith like this.
  22. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

Regarding video recording in the UK, the first one I ever saw was at a school in Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire around 1975. I was working there briefly. They had some BBC educational tapes, one of which was a History of the 1960s that included the full clip of The Beatles doing Some Other Guy at the Cavern. It was the first time I'd ever seen it.

23. ajsmith

All four were at a Let It Be related party ... so in 1970? The ‘when were the Beatles last all together’ thread must be told about this!

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  24. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

Assuming that rage clip of Octopus’ Garden is indeed the same from Late Night Line Up, then it is not impossible that a full tape of the show was sent to Australia and might still be languishing in a cupboard somewhere.

The BFI (British Film Institute) is regularly recovering lost tv from around the world. There’s an annual event at the BFI Southbank in London called Missing Believed Wiped which shows that year’s findings on a big cinema screen. There is a huge interest in pop music and finding old TOTPs. The archivists at the BFI would jump on a find like this.

I attended a few years ago when they had the world premier of the found footage of Pink Floyd doing See Emily Play on TOTP (the clip with the dropouts that’s now on The Early Years). That performance was recovered from a home video recording, so it’s also not impossible that a home video recorder was in use in 1969 and captured this.

By the way, the first four people in Britain to own home video recorders? John, Paul, George & Ringo. True.

Missing Believed Wiped: The Library of Congress Discoveries
    Missing Believed Wiped, BFI Southbank, 16 December 2017 » We Are Cult

25. Calico

Calico Senior Member

Well, they did some radio interviews to promote the LP.
    Like this one:

John Lennon Abbey Road interview Sept.1969 (part 2)