Beatles Anthology DVD - PAL or NTSC?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Peter Sculley, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Sculley

Peter Sculley Forum Resident Thread Starter

I previously bought Yellow Submarine R4 and find the PAL 4% speedup a bit annoying. Now I'm thinking of buying the Beatles Anthology 5 DVD set but I'm worried that buying the R4 PAL version will suffer the same speedup problem.

So, my question to R1 owners of the boxset - is it at the right speed? If so, I'll buy the R1 version.

I've tried internet searches on the running time for the boxset but get various numbers, most usually 'over 11 hours'.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Welcome Peter!...Yes, it's the right speed.

3. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

...but of course, here in R1 the clips (the majority of which are archived in PAL format as either original videotape or videotransfers of the film telerecordings) have undergone a PAL-to-NTSC format conversion, so the trade-off is that you get the proper audio pitch, but with slight video artifacts.

-Kevin

4. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

For some reason "Ballad Of John And Yoko" appears painfully slow to me on the DVD set!

5. Peter Sculley

Peter Sculley Forum Resident Thread Starter

This has got me wondering - if some of the sources are PAL and others NTSC or 24 fps film, how do they get it right?

I know the major market is R1 - so I guess they (EMI/Apple/whoever) have made sure that at least the Anthology plays correctly in the biggest market.

6. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Could it possibly be that "The Ballad Of John & Yoko" is an alternate slower version? In my experiences in searching the net, I've come across several reviews of PAL format DVD's (even of American movies) & a common factor of this format has been the fact that they're speeded up slightly. I don't think it's a format issue because I have two copies of "ABBA: The Definitive Collection". One of them is NTSC & the other is PAL. When I played them both in my computer, thay were the same speed.---Bill

7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

This brings to mind a Paul McCartney 'live' concert film that I saw on TV about 10 years or so ago and the John Lennon "Imagine" album film video (not the documentary, the videos from the album) which I bought in the late 80s, both of which were about a semi-tone slow. It really ruined both films for me. Was the slowed down speed because both were originally PAL format or is it more likely just bad mastering? I did see the "Imagine" segment of the "Imagine" film another time at the proper speed.

8. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

It´s a very good questions. But, isn´t PAL supposed to have more lines than NTSC? So if the videos are shot in PAL and they transferred them to NTSC, the videos are losing quality?

9. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

PAL is 625 lines, @ 25 frames per second = 15,625 lines in one second.
    NTSC is 525 lines, @ 30 f/p/s. = 15,750 lines in one second

(As a side-note, even the PAL equivalent of our American kinescopes, which are called telerecordings, are preserved on film at 25 f/p/s. This makes for easy film-to-tape transfers, when they elect to broadcast them.)

Through the use of video devices that redistribute (and occasionally repeat) the line structure, it is possible to create an NTSC video sequence from a PAL video source. But the resolution is generally softer, and the image motion is sometimes a bit "smeary", if a good converter isn't used. The conversion does preserve the correct audio pitch, however.

And Drifter, yours sounds like a case of lazy mastering, or a cheap project producer, who's trying to save money by not having a new transfer done. :D

-Kevin

10. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

It sure was strange to hear "Imagine" in the key of B. :sigh: A lot of the songs in the Beatles' "A Hard Day's Night" film are also a semi-tone slow, which always bothered me. The "Imagine" album film that I had on video had been redone in stereo which could be where the mastering went awry. I believe there were some bird sounds at the end of the song "Imagine" on the original mono video (that I saw at the correct speed) that were no longer there on the slowed down stereo. :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.