Beatles - Bartell Fretless Guitar?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JFS3, Mar 1, 2021.

1. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member Thread Starter

Cokelike- likes this.
  2. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Agreed. The proof that it was Harrison's guitar seems solid. So, worth some coin at least. But that still seems wildly high for a guitar with so little story behind it. How much did that orange guitar that one of John's relatives recently sold go for? I think it was used on Paperback Writer?

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It's quite a guitar. Not sure if the original audio is preserved here, but:

Greenalishi likes this.
  5. Oldernie

Oldernie Member

Fortunately there is a big story behind this guitar, probably as intriguing as any guitar owned or played by the Beatles.
    It is probably one of the rarest of the Beatles guitars, designed by Paul Barth who co invented the electric pickup and gave the world the electric guitar. The guitar is the original prototype of the very first Fretless six string electric guitar.
    It was ordered in ‘secret’ by Neil Aspinall on 3rd August 1967 when George Harrison was amazed by it at a recording session in Hollywood. It was being played by Mike Deasy a famous wreaking crew guitarist who has association’s with Charles Manson. It was purchased from Al Casey, another famous wreaking session player.
    John Lennon was intrigued by it and was recorded playing on 6th June 68 at Abbey Road by Kenny Everett.
    It was christened the ‘mad’ guitar by George Harrison.
    It was in the studio and played on the White Album on a number of tracks, including Happiness is a Warm Gun and Helter Skelter.
    It was probably played on the Beatles longest ever recording, the 27 minute version of Helter Skelter.
    It was played by both George and John, highly likely that Paul at least tried it out.
    George kept it in his collection until 1985 when he gave it to one of the UKs greatest session players, Ray Russell.
    The guitar was overlooked by the experts until the story was revealed in 2019.
    It is one of the most valuable items ever to appear on the BBC Antiques Roadshow, a programme that has been running for over 40 years.
    The guitar has a book written about it, ‘Finding Fretless’, the story of George Harrison’s Mad guitar
    Only a handful were made, Hendrix and Zappa both had them.

In my opinion the guitar is worth at least £400,000 when it’s full significance is understood.
    Details at www.findingfretless.com

Greenalishi likes this.
  6. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Really? A number of tracks? By whom and which other tracks?

7. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

It’s a really cool guitar. Has a bass sound to it. Jaco style. Really cool.