Beatles Capitol Albums...Actually Pretty Good??!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by batdude98, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

Especially like the long version of I'll cry instead in mono once you've heard it, the uk version is too short.

2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Meet The Beatles! and The Beatles' Second Album are my favorite Beatles albums, I have them on CD-Rs from the Dr. Ebbetts stereo versions.
    Grew up with the U.S. LPs before hearing the U.K. ones (and later got the German Magical Mystery Tour LP also).
    I love the U.S. albums - the one better to me from the U.K. is Revolver;
    also the U.K. A Hard Day's Night (in stereo - I always listen to them in stereo) is better for me than Something New or the U.S. A Hard Day's Night. That's one early exception.
    I also loved Hey Jude, the album, when I was young, I had that. I have CDs of Yesterday and Today and the dexterized version of the U.S. Rubber Soul (East Coast version).
    And Magical Mystery Tour is an album no matter what anybody says.
    But the first two Capitol albums in stereo rule.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    donman7, musicfan37 and DK Pete like this.
  3. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

If You Got Troubles", That Means A lot" and "Leave My Kitten Alone" are great! Did the u.s. get to hear the 3 great revolver tracks first? If that's the case that was pretty cool of Martin to do.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

5. Michael Macrone

Michael Macrone Forum Resident

Yes. But while it may have been cool of Martin to do, its effect on the US Revolver was pretty uncool.

6. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

True it takes the air out if the lennon sails for u.s. revolver but imagine the u.s. got a two months preview of the glorious Dr Robert, And your bird can sing and an alternate mono mix of I'm only sleeping before the Brits.

jricc and DK Pete like this.
  7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have the Rubber Soul which I'd say has more of a touch of Dexter than being out and out "Dexterized". He was getting much more subtle in his old age;)

8. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

9. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Welcome to 1964-1986. That's what was released in the US (on vinyl, reel-to-reel, then also cassette and 8-track!).

10. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I love the US Beatle releases and am on a quest to collect them all: meaning, every release on every available label (rainbow swirl, Apple, green Capital, orange Capital, big purple dome and small purple dome Capital) and both stereo, and mono where it applies. I'm about halfway there I think. Used to be able to find them pretty cheap. Now I almost have to pay market every time.

11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Do you have all three Apple label variations? :D

1. Apple on black background with Capitol logo on side 2 (1968-1971)
    [​IMG]

2. Mfd. By Apple Records Inc. (1971)
    [​IMG]

3. All Rights Reserved (1975)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  12. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Yes. BUT... did they just fold down a stereo tape for the boxes for the nontrue mono mixes OR did they use whatever mono tape was in the vaults? I ask because even though the originals were mono folds for Early, Help!, and (maybe) Second Album, their original folds may sound different than a fold done for the box sets. Different period, different equipment. and even the slight chance they added some elements to compensate the fold (compression, echo, limiting, etc.).

DK Pete likes this.
  13. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Don't forget 80's Capitol rainbow:agree:

14. Hamhead

The US got them first via alternate mono mixes but it screwed up the running order of Revolver by removing the 3 Lennon tracks,
    could you imagine if Martin gave Capitol "Mach I" instead for Y&T.

Lexhibit and DK Pete like this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

You're killing me! I definitely don't have any with the bottom one.

musicfan37 and john lennonist like this.
  16. Hamhead

Those are uber rare since that variation came out just before the label's demise in 1975 right before the orange Capitol label
    [​IMG]

jmxw, JoeRockhead and musicfan37 like this.
  17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I'm pretty confident of the following, though not 100% sure:

The Beatles Second Album - partial fold-down -- "You Can't Do That" is a dedicated mono mix, as is "She Loves You" and "I'll Get You".

"I Call Your Name" and "Long Tall Sally" are also dedicated mono, but are DIFFERENT MIXES from the UK mono versions -- "specifically prepared by George Martin for the American album".

The rest of the songs are fold-downs (that means “Please Mr. Postman” and “Roll Over Beethoven” are fold-downs, though some on SHF think they sound better than the “true mono” UK mixes)… and so is "Thank You Girl" = my Favorite mix!).

donman7 and cwitt1980 like this.
  18. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The compression and EQ on "Eight Days A Week" gives the track a new kick -- it feels like I've turned into John and Paul's mic...their harmonies are stunning.

Also I see what Lennon said about how The Beatles was mostly clapping in a corner of Studio Two -- even the overdubs are cool!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  19. batdude98

Heaven Help Me -- I *like* "You Like Me Too Much" in the Beatles VI stereo mix?!?

This mix is great IMO -- "Bad Boy" grinds along mightily! And there's ORGAN on it? Since when??

20. batdude98

"Party" is better on the UK stereo at first blush -- ok, no more effusive comments from me, LOL

Edit: I realize it's the same mix, but the mastering is coloring my impression...Beatles For Sale is excellent in stereo! Does anyone know why Help! - Revolver were comparatively regressive?

21. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Just popped in Beatles 65!
    No Reply!
    Damn!
    Beave!!!!!

22. Library Eye

Library Eye Forum Resident

Other international compilations of merit — or, debatable merit, depending on one's outlook — include
    Beatles No. 5 (Odeon; Japan)
    The Beatles In Italy (Parlophon; Italy)
    Greatest Hits Volume 2 (Parlophone; Australia)
    Rarities (Capitol; USA)​

somnar, Hamhead and DK Pete like this.
  23. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

I was startled by how puny some of the early tracks sounded when I first heard the UK versions. I'm an early Beatles collector, starting with "I Want To Hold Your Hand" when it came out and moving on to "She Loves You", "Twist And Shout". My older brother brought Meet The Beatles home when it came out, and my first Beatles album, The Beatles Second, I received for Christmas. I had to have every Beatles record available at the time!

That said, while Meet The Beatles is in my all-time Top 4, I can't abide by the U.S. Track listings, even though I enjoy some of them. I used to be on a quest to acquire every foreign Beatles record to increase the chances of two of my most-wanted-to-hear-at- the-time tracks appearing consecutively, or at least on the same side. Plus, different song programs can be fun to listen to.

FJFP and Dan The Man1 like this.
  24. john lennonist

I just checked a few of mine and I also don't have any with the bottom label of U.S. Apple labels pictured on page two... at least of those I checked.

Mega rare, that one?

DK Pete likes this.
  25. john lennonist

Is this "Eight Days A Week" reference to the U.S. Capitol Mono or Stereo pressings?

DK Pete likes this.