Beatles "Carnival of Light" Who has heard it?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian999, Apr 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Not me.

2. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I find listening to the song a real pain

Brian999 likes this.
  3. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

I don't recall the book stating it was actual Christmas songs, but that doesn't mean the book in question that I'm referring to didn't mention that fact, or maybe they didn't know that back then either?

That sounds probably more like what I was referring to, as I do remember that there were only three copies of it being made and distributed.
    If it were original comps (especially experimental stuff) he would have kept a copy for himself, I'm sure.

Sean, Lewisboogie and applejam101 like this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Try listening to it at a PAR-TEE!

5. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

He should do a bootleg single under the name Ian Iachimo, with Now and Then as the a-side, a track he said he might finish himself one day.

6. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Meaning, the bottom of the pickle barrel. Or, crap, if you will.

7. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Carnival of Light is like the long, early versions of Helter Skelter. Interesting only in its mystery. “This edited version of Helter Skelter is really boring and uninteresting . I WANT A 45 MINUTE VERSION! “

Carnival of Light is very unlikely to be worth hearing all.

stevenson66g likes this.
  8. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

I wonder if Carnival of Light is better than Doctor Robert.

Sean, John Porcellino and Lewisboogie like this.
  9. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

[​IMG]

"The tape has no rhythm, though a beat is sometimes established for a few bars by the percussion or a rhythmic pounding on the piano. There is no melody, though snatches of a tune sometimes threaten to break through. The Beatles make literally random sounds, although they sometimes respond to each other; for instance, a burst of organ notes answered by a rattle of percussion. The basic track was recorded slow so that some of the drums and organ were very deep and sonorous, like the bass notes of a cathedral organ. Much of it is echoed and it is often hard to tell if you are listening to a slowed-down cymbal or a tubular bell. John and Paul yell with massive amounts of reverb on their voices, there are Indian war cries, whistling, close-miked gasping, genuine coughing and fragments of studio conversation, ending with Paul asking, with echo, ‘Can we hear it back now?’ The tape was obviously overdubbed and has bursts of feedback guitar, schmaltzy cinema organ, snatches or jangling pub piano, some unpleasant electronic feedback and John yelling, ‘Electricity’. There is a great deal of percussion throughout, again much of it overdubbed. The tape was made with full stereo separation, and is essentially an exercise in musical layers and textures. It most resembles ‘The Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet’, the twelve-minute final track on Frank Zappa’s Freak Out! album, except there is no rhythm and the music here is more fragmented, abstract and serious. The deep organ notes at the beginning of the piece set the tone as slow and contemplative."
    Barry Miles
    Many Years From Now

I'm betting a musician in this thread could create a reasonable facsimile based on the detail provided here by Paul's official biographer.

Sean and Lewisboogie like this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Sounds about as "fun" as Revolution 9

Sean, PJayBe and schnitzerphilip like this.
  11. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

alternate title: The Unlistenable Beatles

Sean and chickendinna like this.
  12. vince

BOOM!

ODIrony likes this.
  13. vince

That's why I suggest a beat, sampling, applying bits to vinyl and start SCRATCHING!!!

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  14. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I’d forgotten about this description. Yeah, I want it hear it. Please, someday soon.:wave:

Sean, Dodoz and schnitzerphilip like this.
  15. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

While 12 Bar Original is pretty flimsy it's too bad the full version wasn't released as the best lead guitar part (very brief) was edited out.

It's said Harrison demanded edits in addition to nixing COL.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  16. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

12 Bar Original sounds like a drunken session with the MG's in '68. Carnival Of Lights should be a RSD limited 45rpm on rainbow vinyl.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  17. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

As I mentioned in an earlier similar thread, I am a member of a forum that has another member that has been in the same room as a laptop that had a digital version of "Carnival of Light" on it... ;)

caravan70, Sean, Tom Vinson and 4 others like this.
  18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And you got about as close to hearing it as I did!

caravan70, ODIrony, ARK and 5 others like this.
  19. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

:):) almost choked on my tea!

caravan70 and ARK like this.
  20. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Booker T and the boys wouldn't sound like that had they all, to a man, incurred a major stroke of apoplexy just prior to the session.

caravan70, Sean, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  21. rick harper

rick harper Forum Resident

I thought it was mostly a McCartney thing that is 20 minutes long, or something. And is meant as background music. It certainly can't be any better than "Flying". And don't understand why he doesn't put it out himself. But, it really wasn't meant to be released. I dunno.

22. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Also, “You Know My Name.” He supervised the edits and messed it up, IMO.

moople72 likes this.
  23. bfackler

bfackler Senior Member

In 1972 my family went on vacation to the U.K. My father had been in the army air corps during World War II and had been stationed at an airbase in the English countryside. My dad had an English girlfriend during the war and became friends with her family. She had a younger brother who ended up working at Abbey Road studio. When we visited London, he invited us to visit him. He met us at the studio in a white lab coat and a white shirt and black tie. He showed us around the studio including the studio he said the Beatles had recorded in. I got so excited because I had grown up a huge fan of the Beatles. He asked me what were some of my favorite songs by the Beatles. I can still remember that I told him - Ticket to Ride, Day Tripper, Paperback Writer and Penny Lane. He left the room and came back with some tape boxes. He brought Day Tripper, Penny Lane and according to the tape box, Carnival of Light. He played them loud over the control room system. I was so excited for the first two. Because I had never heard Carnival of Light, I found it confusing. I remember thinking this is a psychedelic mess. He only played about a minute of it. I remember him saying that I just heard something special because it was an unreleased Beatle recording, but to be honest, I was much more excited about going outside and getting photographed at the famous Abbey Road crossing.
    - J.R. Young

ODIrony, Beatlemen, timnor and 6 others like this.
  24. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

The long version of "12 Bar Original" sounds great when it is speeded up by 12.246% (which takes the track up one whole tone but also gives the track some energy to replace the lethargy of the actual take!!): this is something I did many years ago and I was very pleased with the results!!

I suspect "Carnival Of Light" was slowed down substantially to give it a more sonorous tone, so it would be interesting to hear the track in its natural speed (if we ever get to hear it at all). It might be a track that could be worked into the "Yellow Submarine" film soundtrack as part of an alternate soundtrack for a future release of the film.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

One of the reasons I love them so much. I hate listening to jamming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.