Beatles German Pressings - Need Help!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tommyboy, Dec 29, 2007.

1. shavedfish

shavedfish Forum Resident

I had the first pressing and it did not sound as good as this 072 of Beatles' Greatest. Two fake stereos - I Feel Fine and She Loves You. Long Tall sally is the Capitol stereo mix. besides those three - the rest sound great!

David75 likes this.
  2. David75

David75 Forum Resident

it's different from the usual stereo mix.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's the version from Second Album.

It's true stereo regardless.

Keith V, john lennonist and David75 like this.
  4. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

By the way, the German MMT also was released (as a limited "Deutscher Schallplattenclub" release) with the proper international cover.

It uses the same -1/-3 matrices as the "good" Hörzu/Apple version.

5. David75

David75 Forum Resident

Best German Pressing (for me): 1963-1967

-PPM : SHZE 117-A-2/SHZE 117-B-2 or SHZE-117-A-2 04219-A-2/SHZE-117-B-2 04219-B-2
    -WTB : ?
    -AHDN : ?
    -BFS : ?
    -H : SHZE 162 A-2 04257-A-2/SHZE 16X2 B-3 04257 B-3
    -RS : ?
    -R : 04097 - A1 + 020 062 "Made in Germany"/04097 - B1 + 020 062 "Made in Germany"
    -ACOBO : ?
    -SP : ?
    -MMT : SHZE 327 - A-1/SHZE 327 - B-3 or SHZE 327A-1 04449--A-1/SHZE 327B-3 04449--B-3

6. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Just received the Green Odeon label Rubber Soul, 1C 072-04 115, Matrix numbers: 04 115 A - 2 / 04 115 B - 1.

While very nice in terms of clarity and very nice heights, the low end on this version seems a bit over the top. Especially the bass drum the pounding of which is particularly distracting on Drive My Car.

Do I go right in the assumption that the A3/B2 version is easier on the bass, but has a dropout on Norwegian Wood?

djwkyoto, David75 and shavedfish like this.
  7. shavedfish

Interesting - I prefer more bass on earlier Beatles albums - this seems worth checking out! Thank you for the info!

john lennonist, djwkyoto and TheHutt like this.
  8. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

I would avoid German WTB and AHDN pressings. They were not good at all IMO. But I can really recommend the late 70s "Revolver" and "Pepper" on the Apple label. They sound fantastic.
    The blue "Rubber Soul" from 1969 is quite good too.
    Please also avoid German ACOBO's, the UK's are much better. I can also recommend the German "Hey Jude" (062- or 072-, they all sound good).

djwkyoto, David75 and shavedfish like this.
  9. shavedfish

I read that the 072 Light Green Label version of With The Beatles sounds really good - I have that coming! and yes, the German Collection of Oldies sounds terrible - some songs have no bass at all on them and sound lo-fi - which i was suprised - the version I have is a 072 light green label.

10. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I just found these the other day. What’s the verdict? Besides the obvious :hide:

David75, Pianoman99 and shavedfish like this.
  11. Pianoman99

That's possible. I have the blue label WTB and I hate it. The only good thing is the hi-hat intro on All My Loving. Pls let me know how the light green one compares, thx!

12. shavedfish

Nice! all worth having due to the mastering on each of the albums - not sure if And Now sounds much different than Beatles Beat - but Beatles Beat has a different mastering of Can't Buy Me Love - the lead guitar is much quieter than the official release when compared.

Keith V likes this.
  13. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Definitely worth checking out. Wasn't really expensive, either.

14. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Yeah, have this one, too (A3/B2 matrix). Definitely less thumpy-bassy.

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There's some sort of weirdness going on with the stereo separation on that one unfortunately.

16. shavedfish

Would you ay it sounds more like a stereo UK Tube Cut first pressing then?

17. shavedfish

Yes I read that it sounds really different - some liked this overall sound - They wrote that Money sounded really powerful.

18. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I didn’t realize Beat and And Now had the same songs. It was buy 3 get 2 free so I snagged everything cheap that said “Ebbett” even though I now realize they may not be.

19. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

I would need to make a direct comparison. The -2/-2 UK first pressing should be the tube cut, innit?

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's weird, and not in a good way. Very compressed and with weird stereo separation.

David75 likes this.
  21. Pianoman99

Yes, or the -3/-3.

shavedfish likes this.
  22. David75

David75 Forum Resident

Thanks

Best German Pressing : 1963-1967

-PPM : SHZE 117-A-2/SHZE 117-B-2 or SHZE-117-A-2 04219-A-2/SHZE-117-B-2 04219-B-2
    -WTB : Avoid, bad tapes/mastering except maybe on Green Odeon ?
    -AHDN : Avoid, bad tapes/mastering except maybe on Green Odeon ?
    -BFS : ?
    -H : SHZE 162 A-2 04257-A-2/SHZE 16X2 B-3 04257 B-3
    -RS : ?
    -R : 04097 - A1 + 020 062 "Made in Germany"/04097 - B1 + 020 062 "Made in Germany"
    -ACOBO : Avoid, bad tapes/mastering on all German pressings
    -SP : ?
    -MMT : SHZE 327 - A-1/SHZE 327 - B-3 or SHZE 327A-1 04449--A-1/SHZE 327B-3 04449--B-3

I order a Green Odeon Rubber soul and 77' Sgt Pepper's on Apple, I hope to receive soon

djwkyoto, shavedfish and TheHutt like this.
  23. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Very interested as to the '77 Pepper. I have two '73 ones, but they have different matrices from '77.

djwkyoto likes this.
  24. shavedfish

Yes! That is correct - I think this tube cut sounds the best - but always int'd in hearing different mastereing versions...Thanks!

Keith V likes this.
  25. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

I will try to give all the three of them an adequate spin and write down my impressions.

Although my great love is indeed the White Album. Of which I have quite many different copies, some of them German (1st press SMO, early 70s 192, French Contract 172, the 80s White DMM and Black DMM). Always thought of doing this tour de force of comparing them all.

shavedfish likes this.