Beatles German Pressings - Need Help!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tommyboy, Dec 29, 2007.

1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Well, Ok, but whats the matrix # on yours?

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

3. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

I would always look at the cut first, my Blue Odeon Sgt. Pepper (SHZE 401) and Rubber Soul (1C 072) sound great. And those are the cuts that are reputable here, the Sgt. Pepper in particular. Actually I have both a German Apple Pepper and the Blue Odeon Pepper and they are indistinguishable in sound, makes sense though considering they're the same cut. (minus the machine-stamped matrix on the Apple)

john lennonist likes this.
  4. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

I might have found the engineer who mastered some of these issues.

John Cremer - Railroadtracks »

John Cremer cut lacquers for EMI-Electrola starting in 1974, initially only cutting singles until '76 when he started cutting lacquers for Pop & Rock LPs. (Pink Floyd, Queen, The Beatles, Deep Purple etc.) This also aligns with the period that many Beatles albums were re-cut, including Rubber Soul, Revolver, The White Album, Hey Jude etc.

I'm also curious if the original German White Album cut was used for the early 1C 192 issues, namely this one -
    https://www.discogs.com/The-Beatles-The-Beatles/release/4405739

What does the original SMO issue sound like, anyways? Is it similar to the late 70s cut? It would be appreciated if someone could upload a sample of it.

lukpac likes this.
  5. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I've posted this at least twice before (maybe in other German Beatles threads):

I was told by a German member here that the 072 designation was a pricing code update from 062... it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what pressing (i.e. stampers -- and therefore sound quality) was used.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wouldn't they got tapes directly from the UK?

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That would have been too logical.

BejittoSSJ5 and andrewskyDE like this.
  8. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Yes, that's him. I've had conversations with him about his DMM cuts. Posted elsewhere here.

9. Nad 214

Nad 214 Forum Resident

Owning all 3 of the German issues from that time period of the 3 I like the SMO best to my ears it has a warmer more bottom end tone with a nice midrange.

10. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Hmmm...warmer more bottom...[​IMG]

11. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Is the German mix of 'Hand' really different from the UK ' Collection Of Oldies' stereo mix?
    The only other alternate stereo mix of 'Hand' I was aware of was the Australian reissue single. FYI regarding Beatles Greatest, the fade out of I Feel Fine is slightly longer than any other 45 and lp (that I know of).

12. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Hmmm ... not sure where to go here, so I'm just going to ask - does anyone have a verified matrix numbers list for the best German pressings for all of the Beatles albums?

13. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Though it’s not comprehensive, you might find some useful info here:

The Beatles Germany LPs

Tommyboy and monomusic like this.
  14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I don't know about most of them but for Please Please Me/Die Beatles in stereo, here's what you want:
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side A, stamped): SHZE 117 A-2
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout side B, stamped): SHZE 117 B-2
    For Magical Mystery Tour this one is good:

Matrix Numbers Side A: 04449 - A1 + C
    Matrix Numbers Side B: 04449 - B1 + C

monomusic likes this.
  15. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Thanks for the replies, fellas. Not sure I need to go and get every German pressing, but I would like to look into at least perhaps the top 5 for Beatles German LP's. Do you guys have a personal "top 5" list, in terms of which albums and years that they were issued?

16. Adam9

I think that the German Die Beatles/Please Please Me and Magical Mystery Tour, the ones I mentioned above, are the top 2.

imajindat likes this.
  17. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

German "Let It Be" original pressing 1C062-04433-Y-A-1/1C062-04433-Y-B-1 - personally I like it even better than UK original (2U/2U) which is also great, but this German pressing has more bass, great sounding record!

German "Sgt Pepper" in my case it's a 1969 reissue with blue Odeon/Hor Zu label, though AFAIK earlier pressings have same matrix numbers: SHZE- 401-A-1/SHZE-401-B-2, again I like it even better than original UK.

German "Revolver" 1C 072-04 097 Apple labels - I think it's a late70's - early 80's reissue. Matrix numbers: 04097-A-1/04097-B-1 - great bass on that record!

"Die Beatles" (Please Please Me) Hor Zu label, matrix numbers: SHZE-117-A-2/SHZE-117-B-2. Mind You, it has to be these matrix numbers, earlier cut with A-1/B-1 not that great.

"Magical Mystery Tour" purple cover, Apple/HorZu or Apple labels. Matrix numbers: SHZE 327 A-1/SHZE 327 B-3 , may also have extra numbers: 04449-A-1/04449-B-3. IMO it's the best version of this album ever.

In my experience sound quality of other German Beatles pressings varies from "barely OK" to "not so great".

18. imajindat

imajindat Forum Resident

I agree. Id add the German Apple Sgt Pepper and Revolver, and the DMM white vinyl version of the White Album

Cronverc likes this.
  19. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

O yes, I forgot about these 1985 DMM reissues on colour vinyl - "White Album", "1962-1966" and " 1967-1970". They all sound really good. Also for that matter original German "1962-1966" and "1967-1970" on black vinyl are very good.

20. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

All excellent info, thanks again, guys. I'm not real super picky with Pepper - I think my best sounding copy is the EMI two-box that came with my 1978 BC13 blue box, and no one can prove anything, in terms of which pressings (years) those all were. Yes, I do have the 1972 Hor Zu A1/B3 MMT - as we all know, it stands alone. I'd have to check at home, but if memory serves me correctly, I believe the only German pressing I have, is the White Album on white vinyl, from 1978, I believe. That's always been a keeper.

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member Thread Starter

I think the MMT cut that you referred to sounds a bit on the hot side.

22. Adam9

Really? I went out of my way to get it. It does sound great to me. I'll have to research this more thoroughly.

23. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

The "Help!' 1C 072 Apple label and "White Album" 1st press SMO prefix would make worthy additions to your list as well. I own all of the German pressings you listed and they are some of the best sounding Beatles records in my collection.

24. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Although it doesn't mention it anywhere on the label or cover that one is a DMM cut and to me sounds overly boosted and unnatural in the bass.
    There are some members that prefer it, but the consensus opinion and mine also is that the Apple/Horzu A-1/B-3 is top of the pops for stereo MMT.
    Avoid the earlier German A-1/B-1 copies as the B side has the 3 fake stereo tracks like the US version.

Tommyboy likes this.
  25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member Thread Starter

I agree with you. The bass on the DMM cut sounds “boomy”. I noticed the same issues with the German colored vinyl pressings of the Red & Blue albums.

Ben Sinise likes this.