Beatles - Get Back new book

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Re LET IT BE and any asterisks, they were still the top-selling recording act in the world - aside from Slim Whitman perhaps. :)

drad dog likes this.
  2. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

They are myths in the sense that Lennon hides behind them as reasons to why the Get Back sessions at Twickenham were dismal.

So, if the start time was officially 12 noon (the time Lennon and Ono showed up anyway) and thermostat was turned up 23 degrees Celsius at Twickenham, Lennon would have had more to contribute instead of "I Dig a Pony" and he would not have shot down and poked fun at some of the best songs Harrsion had composed up to that point?

I have a feeling if the Get Back sessions at Twickenham were actually sessions for a Yoko Ono multimedia project, Lennon would have been there on time at 9am each morning and would have been creative as hell.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Moshe, TaumpyTears, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  3. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I haven't got it but the Abbey Road book by Bruce seems to have already covered the Let It Be era ???

musicfan37 likes this.
  4. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

I wonder if Apple would even consider reaching out to Sulpy just for some research or consultation / whatever you would call it. Them seem to have a good relationship with Brice Spizer so maybe it’s not too far out of the realm if possibility

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I think this book is a big part of the album's history, so it must be reissued in some form soon.

ParloFax and Carl80 like this.
  6. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

It wasn't really leaked. Apple sent over acetates of the Get Back LP
    to some FM stations in major markets in the US. It was a common practice for stations back in the glorious days of "underground radio" to play entire LPs start to finish. That's where I got my initial copy. I taped it with my dad's reel to reel. When they got cold feet about releasing an album "as nature intended" they asked for the acetates to be returned.
    But, this is the album imprinted in my mind. Thus my disappointment in Let It Be when it saw the light of day. I thought, As nature intended, worked much better than as Phil intended.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong about any of this.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Relatively correct. But Apple did NOT send over acetates to FM radio stations. The Beatles never approved any Get Back acetates, and Apple would not have sent out an unapproved album.
    Instead, the leaked acetate or tape copy probably came from an actual Beatle: John.

From Wikipedia:
    On 12 September 1969, John Lennon, along with the Plastic Ono Band, traveled to Canada to perform at the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival. Later that month several radio stations in the U.S. began broadcasting recordings of the Beatles' unreleased Get Back album. It was rumored at the time that Lennon had given an acetate or tape copy to a reporter who in turn gave it to a disc jockey. Lennon later said: "They say it came from an acetate that I gave to someone who then went and broadcast it as being an advance pressing or something."

WBCN in Boston was one of the first radio stations to air the recording. The station obtained a reel-to-reel copy of Glyn Johns' January 1969 acetate and broadcast it in its entirety on 22 September 1969. A recording of the WBCN broadcast became the source for the Kum Back bootleg LP.

However, WBCN was not the first station to air the unreleased recordings. WKBW in Buffalo, New York broadcast a recording of Johns' May 1969 Get Back compilation in its entirety on 20 September 1969. Another broadcast of the Get Back recordings was done by CKLW Windsor, which featured only the song "Let It Be." WIXY in Cleveland also aired the tape in September.

8. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Maybe this is why Mark Lewisohn isn't releasing his book in 2020 as originally scheduled

9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Doubtful.
    There is always the chance of a new Beatles book coming out each and every year, so that specific book (Get Back) can't play a role in anything to do with Mark's next volume(s).

Mark also first has to write the darn thing. Then, the exact publication date can be worked out. But I don't think we'll be seeing Mark's book prior to 2022 or 2023 at the earliest, if we are lucky.

10. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

And the original 1969 stereo mix should have been included on the Blu-ray disc.

applebonkerz and DK Pete like this.
  11. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I thought I read somewhere he is doing a Let it Be book. Naturally, I can’t locate it now.

12. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

...and KSHE in St Louis.

DK Pete and ParloFax like this.
  13. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

WABX in Detroit was regularly playing cuts from "Kum Back" as soon as it was in the record shops. In October of '69, the weekly music column in the Detroit Free Press published a review, "Christmas release for Get Back Won't Set The World on Fire". It went on and provided a track by track description of what would have been the Get Back album. Interesting that the correct version of the unreleased album was already being circulated by then.

Lost In The Flood, Hep Alien and Loup like this.
  14. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

My tape was made off an LA radio station. Probably either KPPC or KPFK. I wish I still had it. I believe it was Sept or Oct of '69. It was no
    later than that. Because as of Nov of '69, I was out of the music listening loop for a couple of years.
    The acetate story I've heard over the years a number of times...wonder where that originated?

15. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

I guess he could do. Let It Be as a release is different to the Get Back sessions

Wingsfan2012 and musicfan37 like this.
  16. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I couldn't help myself

17. Muddy

Muddy Large Member

My folks brought me one back from England and I did the same thing (and yeah, they were starting to come out).

There are some great photos in there, but the one that always stood out in my mind (because I was 12 at the time) was the photo of George with a framed photo of a topless woman on his amp.

Has anyone ever identified the mystery woman?

18. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

The price on Amazon USA dropped yesterday to $35.12 which is 30% off!

19. Wingsfan2012

At the Chicago Beatlefest last August he hinted that it was at least "a couple years out" for volume 2.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I see this as being similar to the Imagine deluxe release, where there was a standalone book that was much larger and thorough.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  21. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

yep, why include it in the box when you can sell it separately

22. Wingsfan2012

That happened with the Imagine box set and the George "Living in the Material World" movie box set...………...

supermd likes this.
  23. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

But 12 noon IS an early start time if you're used to recording from 6pm until 6am. And Twickenham's sound stage, first two weeks of January, is gonna be chilly.

Kim Olesen and Hep Alien like this.
  24. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Suzy or someone from Suzy's Parlour. George was a regular at this point.

Wingsfan2012 and Hep Alien like this.
  25. I have two copies of the original book and both are intact but I’m careful with them. The inside slip case tray that houses the book is in shambles.

Wingsfan2012 and chacha like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.