Beatles:Least favourite album ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Jan 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

i would enjoy this kind of fan expanding, but they probably already would have if so inclined :D

2. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Ugh...that's going the wrong way.

7solqs4iago likes this.
  3. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Probably With the Beatles

ARK likes this.
  4. 7solqs4iago

The least?

Yellow Submarine.

Maybe the penultimate least, if that's the correct usage, would be a better thread

5. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Said it before and I'll say it again: there is something about Help! that annoys me. Maybe it's the recording and production, but I am inclined to put the blame on some of the songs, especially Tell Me What You See, You Like Me Too Much, and It's Only Love. They sound like filler to me. And Act Naturally, Dizzy Miss Lizzy, or Another Girl somehow fail to impress me too. Lads were switched on autopilot at that stage I guess. The early energy is gone and other good things are yet to come.

6. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Abbey Road. And I love probably half the songs on it. But the production choices, the overall sound, John's general detatchment, and the element of finality to it just leave me cold. It just seems very calculated and airless. In short, to me it lacks soul.

The White Album is a freaky, schizo-psychotic mess with a lot of crap in those 30 tracks but I love it because it's got such a unique vibe from start to finish.

7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's With The Beatles.

Really good:
    "It Won't Be Long"
    "All My Loving"
    "Money (That's What I Want)"
    "You Really Got a Hold on Me"

Good:
    "All I've Got to Do"
    "Don't Bother Me"
    "Little Child"
    "Not a Second Time"

Meh:
    "Till There Was You"
    "Please Mr. Postman"
    "Devil in Her Heart"

Awful:
    "Roll Over Beethoven"
    "Hold Me Tight"
    "I Wanna Be Your Man"

8. 7solqs4iago

did you grow up with Help! being half instrumental?

9. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

No, lucky me. Yes, with such a background the UK album must sound like heaven.

10. 7solqs4iago

it felt better to fill up more of the milk crate, on its side on the floor, with more Beatles LPs, and it left us with a unique appreciation for I've Just Seen a Face (to kick off Rubber Soul), so it's been good to have both the US and UK catalogues in my mind.

11. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Ummm... you realize, of course, that both YS and LIB were soundtracks. As were A Hard Day's Night, Help!, and Magical Mystery Tour.

Leaving those off, you've got:
    Please Please Me
    With The Beatles
    Beatles For Sale
    Rubber Soul
    Revolver
    Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    The Beatles (White Album)
    Abbey Road

If I had to chose from those, I'd have to go with For Sale. Although, that's still a pretty good album. It just doesn't quite live up to the level of the others [IMNSHO]...

12. 7solqs4iago

AR is an enigma to me, grateful George kicked in a pair of masterpieces from him

that's THE POINT of the White Album, it perfectly captures 1968 for culture and politics and what it was at; could use some more of that creative spirit in today's action :(

JuanTCB likes this.
  13. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Let It Be. I hope the remix can change my mind.

WolfSpear likes this.
  14. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The first 4 songs....as good as any 4-track run during their boy band period. Money is a terrific closer as well.

The rest is negligible.

And the structure of the album is simply trying to recreate PPM all over again.

ARK and Wildest cat from montana like this.
  15. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

so did “Rapper’s Delight” but probably half the forum thinks that’s terrible too.

Andrew J likes this.
  16. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I agree...

If people were expecting something on par of Abbey Road, they had to been disappointed. That’s not a common word associated with the band...

Veech and 7solqs4iago like this.
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Ugh! Surely you mean Meet The Beatles. :)

7solqs4iago likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

You pick BFS ( instead of other albums ), then you say BFS isn’t as good as the others you listed. :doh:

19. Mark R. Y.

Mark R. Y. Getting deep down

I'm not going to include Yellow Submarine as that's just four "new" tracks, two previously released Beatles recordings, and a George Martin score. (The 1999 "songtrack" album is also a mix of old tracks and the four new ones.)

Therefore.... Beatles for Sale. It's good, of course, but comes off as a transition album - the Beatles tentatively trying out new sounds, but still relying on too many covers.

ARK and 7solqs4iago like this.
  20. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

The remix of this outtake put some balls into the performance and my interest level spiked after hearing it.

21. Yellow Submarine

If that doesn't count as a proper Beatles album, I'll go with With The Beatles.

ARK likes this.
  22. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

True enough, the ist album is closer to a rendition of early Beatles on stage, but without the ferocity mostly. Even by album 1 they wrote eight of the tunes, which was unlike their pre fame show. They evolved very quickly !! But the OP question is weakest album so...

23. Zappateer

Zappateer Forum Resident

Let it be

24. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

Hard to say because I dislike Yellow Submarine so much and don't consider it an album. Apart from that, Beatles for Sale is my least favorite; it's fine but not stellar from top to bottom.
    Also, if Rubber Soul didn't exist Let It Be would be my favorite.

25. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

They would be wrong.

ARK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.