Beatles "Live at the Hollywood Bowl" out on CD 9/9/16, Vinyl on 11/18/16 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

She's A Woman from the Bowl album is better than the studio version!

The bowl version is bad to the bone! the Beatles really attack the song, and McCartney's vocals are just awesome!

The man is one of the very best rock and roll shouters!

2. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

There's a bit of that for me, too.

It's part of the legend that, by 1966, they were a terrible live band -- and it's not just Keith Richards who says so! It's part of the Sgt Pepper and Anthology lore! The Beatles themselves said so! So it must be true, right? Well... the evidence here says they did pretty darn well, as recently as 1965. Not the best vocal on Help, but nowhere near a disaster, and most of the rest sounds pretty great, performance-wise. Then again, I'm always so amazed when people can play and sing well at the same time, maybe I'm not the most rigorous judge of these things.

3. Anyone who has experienced, listened to or watched John, Paul, George and Ringo solo should not be surprised by this astounding album!

"The Beatle Monster" - all four heads and 8 arms and hands is unleashed here, proving, again, with the Beatles, the sum is greater than the equal number of parts- no matter how great each one was (is).

No studio wizardry, no George Martin musical wisdom or "Muti- tracked layer cakes"
    Here - just pure, passionate power driven pop- rock explosions/bombs - all LIVE!

The improved sound makes it easier to hear what a tight ! Rockin' and harmonic band they were.

Ringo keeps it all in time, Paul's bass is in the pocket and melodic, George shreds, economically and Johnny Rythym gleefully is engaged and showing his happy soul and strumming, humming and unleashing his Rock and Roll vocal passion.

They all sing like angels-rock like demons and harmonize like streams, leaves, birds and breezes.

Songs that surpass the studio versions:

She's A Woman
    Can't Buy Me Love
    Roll Over Beethoven
    Boys
    Long Tall Sally

Songs that are or near as compelling as the studio versions:

Help
    A Hard Day's Night
    Baby's a In Black

I like it, yeah, yeah, yeah!

4. My late grand mother gave me a copy of this tape when I was about 12. Thanks for the memories. :)

5. Does anyone know the instrument lineup they used?

Would it be :

Ringo, drums -Ludwig?

Paul, bass- Hofner?

George- guitar - 6 string Gretch ?

John- guitar - 6 string Rickenbacker?

Did they switch out any instruments and play others?

jricc likes this.
  6. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Guys the more I listen the more I like this album!

I mean this album just sounds too good! Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby is just wonderful!

I'm really surprised that I Saw Her Standing There isn't on it, did the Beatles perform that song at the Hollywood Bowl?

coffeetime likes this.
  7. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

What...since someone listened in the mid-1990s and chose Baby's in Black for Anthology?

Kermit27 likes this.
  8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

As I mentioned yesterday or so, I'm not a big listener of the Beatles live because they just tried to reproduce the records .(Which they did amazingly well considering the circumstances )

I probably haven't listened to the original Hollywood Bowl album since a few days after I bought it.

Anyway, I picked up the new CD today and I don't know if it's because of the improved sound , revealing how slamming they were, or because it sounded fresh because I'm not overexposed to their live things but I really enjoyed the disc and might give it a spin once in awhile .

As an aside, for the people that think the Beatles trotted out the same old songs when they toured, out of the seventeen songs on the disc from 1964 and 1965, I noticed that there are only three songs from it that they did when I saw them in 1966: "She's a Woman", "Baby's in Black", and "Long Tall Sally".

If I had gone to the afternoon show there would only have been two duplicate songs because they ended with "I'm Down"at that show, not "Long Tall Sally".

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  9. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I like the BBC albums because they were sort of live, but man this Hollywood bowl album just rocks so hard!

I'm thinking this will be my go to album when I want to hear the early Beatles!

10. Glenn Christense

George also played his Rickenbacker 360/12 on some songs, besides his Gretsch.

P.S.
    John had his Gibson J160-E with him also, but I'm not sure if he used it on any of the songs that made the cut for this release. He might have used it on
    "I Feel Fine" or "If I Fell" but neither of those songs are represented on this release .

11. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I love the new remix.

From a sound-quality standpoint, this new CD is remarkable in two respects:

1. With the possible exception of the "Yellow Submarine Songtrack," which (like this new CD) is a remixed and expanded version of an earlier release, "Live At The Hollywood Bowl" wins the award for "best remaster" in The Beatles' catalog, eclipsing the 2009 remasters (which are great), the "Anthology" iTunes remaster, the "1" remaster, the "1962-1966" and "1967-1970" remasters, the "Live At The BBC" remaster, etc. (No, the Hollywood Bowl disc doesn't sound better than those studio albums, but the margin of improvement between the original release and the remaster is the greatest.)

2. The improved sound quality brings out so much in the band's performance that I now consider this album to be every bit as essential as the studio albums. Granted, as a live album, and as an album that was only released years after the break-up, it will always stand somewhat apart from the core 13 albums, but in my opinion it now stands on equal footing with them. It's more than just a historical artifact now; it's an exhilarating, highly enjoyable listening experience.

12. Clark V Kauffman

One more thing:

This new release reaffirms my long-held opinion that the two best Hollywood Bowl performances are "Boys" and "Roll Over Beethoven."

George and Ringo "brings the ruckus!"

goodiesguy, slane, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  13. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

There's a lot of revisionism to 'justify' why it's come out now including some less than honest statements and over-simplifications. They've always had the recordings.
    Where this set of recordings should of been in terms of the new Beatles post 1987 catalogue is something I can understand but as other bands of that era have had at least once document showing their live performances whatever issues with how it was captured, this still should been issued and as for the screams, it was 1964 and that's what you did.
    It was hardly a quiet reverential kind of a gig with folk hanging on the last note but it is the performances that make the argument for this album not the 17,000 mainly female screams because as was stated and obvious to my teen mind back in '77, a good number are clearly superior to the recorded ones even if technically they allow more detail and perhaps better mixes. They rock.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Clark V Kauffman, I agree with you about the sound quality and that this album has now become essential!

I also agree that Boys and Roll Over Beethoven are two of the best performances, but She's A Woman, Dizzy Miss Lizzy and Long Tall Sally are right there with them!

To be honest, the whole album is just fantastic!

Simon A and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  15. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I agree, I grew up with the original tape, and own the record. I prefer that version. Also the George Martin liner notes in the generic font doesn't seem right, either.

YourMainDude likes this.
  16. Glenn Christense

I'm not sure from your posts .
    Do you like the release? :D ;)

17. Clark V Kauffman

Already revised the cover art, featuring the less-cropped version of the cover photo (utilized for the CD's promotional insert) and eliminating the cover blurb about the film....

[​IMG]

18. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I'm going to paste a whole new cover on my CD!

I want a hot rocking picture of the Beatles performing on stage for my cover!

By the way, everywhere I look the reviews are just excellent!

This album is a definite winner!

nowhereman87 likes this.
  19. Not to nitpick, but they did have both "I Feel Fine" and "I Wanna Be Your Man" in their set list as well on their '66 tours - both of which were also performed at the '65 Bowl shows and on that tour.

But I guess it's the "history" as defined by this release that counts, right?

20. YourMainDude

YourMainDude Forum Resident

Huge Beatles fan here. Extensive collection of vinyl that includes UK and US stamps. And my ears are in good shape.
    I actually own both the US and UK LP versions of 'Hollywood Bowl' and I have to say - I consider this release a bit of a let down.
    I won't touch the 'set list' complaints; I like the set list as it stands TBH .

But it is 2016 for crying out loud. If you're going to not only do a remaster but an official remix too, then take the time and process shape the created tracks you are using for the new mix to smooth them out and knock down the siblance throughout.
    No doubt there is added clarity & staging in this clean up and remix. but on a proper turn table - and a proper stamp - there is more warmth to the original analog play in many respects. So to say this one is superior is purely subjective.
    It no doubt compliments history, because it has some more revealing characters to it - but is still sounds thin and unfinished. And the siblance is worse in my humble opinion.
    The only theory I have is that Giles had constraints put on him that only allowed him to do so much.

I'm going to rip it to FLAC and shape things to my liking - through Sound Forge Pro.
    Nonetheless, it's still worth 10 bux ...

Gaslight likes this.
  21. Bob Sparrow

Bob Sparrow Forum Resident

Ladies and Gentleman, we have a winner!!!! This is greatest sounding Beatles concert release on cd to date. It really sounds like your at the show, just amazin" great job by Giles Martin. The drums,bass and vocals,Wow! My favorite track. I love them all.

Clanceman likes this.
  22. Bob Sparrow

Bob Sparrow Forum Resident

And oh yeah, the cover Blows!!

bpmd1962 and Grant like this.
  23. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I'm enjoying the new Hollywood Bowl CD, but one thing struck me after a couple of listens... the whole thing is very fatiguing on the ears! I think it's just the constant jet engine whine of thousands of screaming girls that really make this a difficult thing for prolonged listening. While the audience adds obvious excitement to the recordings, the frequencies generated by those screams really wears on the ears quickly.

The bootleg versions that have circulated of the entire concerts are somewhat more gentle on the ears, since the screams aren't quite so high in the mix... at least not on the copy I own. Plus, there is obvious reverb added to the official release. Given the choice, I think I prefer the drier sound of the unofficial version.

Tommyboy, Zep Fan and urasam2 like this.
  24. YourMainDude

YourMainDude Forum Resident

Strictly my opinion - so don't taze me bro ... but

Giles nailed it on the 'Love' album's blending of tracks. Pure creative genius and the fidelity of the mastering is amazing. The remix of the 'Submarine' album into the 'Songtrack' is mind blowingly good too.
    'Hey Bulldog' sounds like it could have been recorded in the last 15 years.

But this live release isn't nearly his best work and seems hamstrung.

spindly and urasam2 like this.
  25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, I listened to the CD. The audience doesn't even sound like an audience, just a bunch of constant shrill screaming teenage girls. I could make out where they all said "Noooo!" when John announced the last song.

The playing was pretty good.

I thought it was pretty cool that a 14-year-old Natalie Cole was quoted in the liner notes, as she was one of the attendees. I always knew she was a huge Beatles fan, but never imagined she was one of those screaming girls in the audience!

But, this album is nothing to really get excited about. I guess I had to be there. I was only two years old at the time. This CD is just a mate to the movie coming out, to keep the money flowing, and to keep The Beatles name out there as a marketable product.

So, I listened to it, and filed it away. I'm a huge Beatles fan, have almost every official release. This CD is nice to have, but, IMO, non-essential. I'm sure i'll enjoy the Blu-ray more when it comes out. It will make a cool birthday present to myself.

Here's to hoping that Apple/Capitol will one day release a Capitol singles collection.

To be honest, I think he did a great job with the pile of sonic dung he had to work with. Like his dad said, it was like putting a microphone in the back of a jet engine, or something like that.

Clanceman, Tommyboy and YourMainDude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.