Beatles News from Record Collector

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dugan, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

Agreed. Don't think they will do that. Shoot themselves in the foot.

Yep, that makes total sense for EMI to do it that way. But let's wait until we have absolute clarification on all of this. After all, at the moment there's been no "official" statement from EMI or Apple.

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

<<<Yes, Kipper, you are right.

I used to be a Production Manager for a company that worked with every small, indie record label in the country. I got to see their marketing patterns and how they would structure their releases.

Its the same today, with some odd exceptions, like ABKCO releasing all 22 Stones Cds on the same day. I'm sure they have a reason, I just dont know what it is.

3. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I don't know for how long this link has been on the Beatles website (www.thebeatles.com) but this would suggest that something is definitely in the pipeline

Attached Files:

4. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Could SONY be throwing a lot of money, to the Stones and Klein, that would considerably, defer marketing and production costs for the releases, and 2002 tour costs for the Stones ?

SONY needed the committment to put out the entire Stones, Klein catalog, by both the Stones and Klein, so they must be making some money "under the tables", so to speak. I'm sure that, to some extent the Stones and Klein, could really care less about what technology the catalog comes out on...it will virtually, sell itself, in the stores, when it's released, just on the Buzz, alone!

It's easy to see how the Beatles could be tempted to do this, too, with a similar arrangement...deferring ALL of the marketing and production costs for the release, etc.. With the Beatles, however, the Partnership could write the contract for the arrangement, for any deal they want...NOT EMI!

That the Partnership would offer these new mix releases, in addition to keeping the rest of the catalog in print, shows they are REALLY saavy and they seem to be hedging it's "gamble", and KNOWS, that most of the customer base for Beatle music, still doesn't know what DVD-A or SACD, even is !

5. Beowulff

Beowulff New Member

The one point that everyone here is missing, is that there is absolutely no requirement that a surround track has to be included on a dvd-a. In fact, there is one company, Hi-Res Music (see link to their site below) which to date has produced nothing but stereo only dvd-a's. I might add that their releases have gotten extremely good reviews. My guess is that on the early stuff where multi-track masters do not exist, chances are good that the dvd-a would be two channel only.

Hi-Res Music

6. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

There you have it.I hope.It seems hybrid SACD is the most practical way to go.But DVD-A surround is fine for those who want it.And while we are talking about it,why not sub the vinyl out to the Dream Team. Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray.:righton:

7. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

Over the last couple of days I've been thinking about this thread and have come the conclusion that The Beatles in 5.1 would be a good thing. Think of songs such as "I Am the Walrus", "Tomorrow Never Knows", "Come Together", and "Day in The Life". They would have a new life with a TASTEFUL remix. If one doesn't like it, so what! Listen to the Stereo track. For the rest of us perhaps we could get some insight to what the original multitracks sound like. Bring it on!

8. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I agree - as long as the remixes are done tastefully (though I fear it will be a gimmicky thing more than anything else). BUT I would rather just have the stereo stuff and I think I'm right in saying that most of us would be happy with decent stereo remasters of the Fabs catalogue. I fear that instead we will get lifeless, no-noised dirge :(

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

The best thing about a multichannel mix is that if you don't like it, you don't have to listen to it!

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

We shall all see what happens in about a month with the new Stones discs. Will it succeed, and will it cause companies to rethink the DVD-A thing?

11. RetroSmith

12. RetroSmith

13. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Yes you do, if the stereo version is a fold down of it.

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I still say, NO REMIXING THE BEATLES!!!:realmad:

15. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

The Stereo mix on a DVD-A or SACD is not necessarily a fold down. Ala the DVD-A's I have have a unique stereo mix and are not fold downs. Same for my SACD's

16. RetroSmith

>>>Yes, this is a new Era. The stereo mix on 99.99999 of DVD-As and SACDs is a dedicated stereo mix and not a fold down. So, I'd hate to keep hearing that as an excuse to be "against" DVD-As when it isnt true.

17. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

18. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

19. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I think the most critical point is who does the work on the tapes, not what format it comes out on. In the wrong hands, it just will not matter.

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Okay, I think we have officially hit all of the pitfalls of reviewing vaporware, now. Heck, this is rumored vaporware.

Let's all complain about it when we know what it will actually be rather than continue to discuss what is wrong with the folddown of the 5.1 mix that has not been made by anyone and why they did not go with the original mono and stereo mixes in our paranoid fantasies. :)

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.