Beatles Red & Blue Albums (2023) (w/ "Now and Then")

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Panama Jack, Oct 25, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Whither 1962-1970 and "Now And Then", eh.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  2. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Ya think? Maybe his falsetto was the second thing to go.
    [​IMG]
    Elton John has discussed the drastic measures he took to try to salvage his thinning hair before he bought a wig.

The star, 72, began to lose his beloved hair in the early 70s, and a bad dye job made things spectacularly worse.

He revealed that by 1976, he barely had any hair left, and that he did not have the kind of face that looked acceptable without hair - comparing himself to Shrek.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/elton-john-agonising-hair-transplant-20543997

Frank, django68 and AngusStanley like this.
  3. Pauly56

Pauly56 Forum Resident

You think he did what Daltry did?

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It's well mixed. Especially that abrupt cut from the middle-eight back to the final verse was fixed.

5. Pauly56

Pauly56 Forum Resident

He sang wonderfully on the 2002 tour. It was spine tingling when he hit the high note on the line “help me” on Maybe I’m Amazed.
    Forever captured on the BITUS album. It’s his best version. Sang it better here than on WOA.

theMess likes this.
  6. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

That is FO' SHO!
    Good Giles showed up to that party.

davenav and andrewskyDE like this.
  7. stanleynohj

stanleynohj Forum Resident

Well hair isn't everything...

then again, in those days, hair was everything.

It's amazing that he could be a "rock star", balding and bespectacled.

But he made it work....supreme talent.

davenav, walrusz and 905 like this.
  8. mhw58

mhw58 Forum Resident

The BITUS cd was sourced from a lot of different shows and Paul tends to doctor his live shows. Hard to say how many times he hit that note. I did see him on that tour and recall his voice was great on certain songs and not so much on others.

9. Iamnotthewalrus

Iamnotthewalrus Forum Resident

He doesn't sound the same as he did in his early 20's, I guess

davenav likes this.
  10. Iamnotthewalrus

Yeah. He was replaced by a double who looks identical, sounds the same, writes songs in the same style and managed to memorize the childhood and teenage memories of the real Paul McCartney. He's even been able to fake being left handed. I prefer the replacement. This is a minority opinion, I know, but I consider "Treat Her Gently" to be a better song than "Hold Me Tight".

11. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I think you missed my point completely.
    What is the name of his most recent tour? Get Back?

Iamnotthewalrus likes this.
  12. Iamnotthewalrus

I saw Company Segundo in a club. He was 100 or close to it. For an old coot, he sounded pretty dam..n good! (Can I say that)

13. Iamnotthewalrus

I know. Apologies if my anti-conspiracy theory rant was taken as a commentary on your comment. I understand what you mean and considering what those concerts cost, I agree with you. But, are his recent concerts needle drops? That should be investigated!

14. dsdu

I saw John Mayall precovid in a local nightclub and he sounded and performed dang good for a guy in his 80s.

15. Iamnotthewalrus

Elton John was never really the Rock star type. I bought his 70's records when they came out. He was very popular than. I think that he looked better balding. James Stewart, Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, John Wayne, Humphrey Bogart, Tony Randall, Jack Klugman, Frank Sinatra, etc. Male pattern baldness is normal.

Grant likes this.
  16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It’s a very very good remix this one.

SpaceGhost2112, JosepZ and mhw58 like this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It all depends whose hands they ended up in.

Old Fred likes this.
  18. stanleynohj

What hope is there for anyone if a band with 4 talents like John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo could be kept back from getting somewhere...

I suppose it's possible that someone could have screwed it up.

19. dsdu

I’d bet Matthew Katz could’ve.
    [​IMG]

planckera, jamesmaya and stanleynohj like this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

They were very young when they signed up with Parlophone and were very lucky to be within the supportive mid set of someone like George Martin. Not only did he nurture their talents as songwriters, he was responsible for the great sound of their records. Things could have easily gone south in the hands of the wrong record company.

jricc, theMess, zipp and 6 others like this.
  21. stanleynohj

Martin was great...love him...just listened to I Am The Walrus isolated string and horn arrangement...amazing!

But those 4 were supreme geniuses destined! Brian Epstein knew it, as did many others, Astrid and Klaus, all the little Liverpudlian girls... John knew it. I bet Paul knew it. Ringo knew it. I bet George even knew it. Maybe John's auntie had doubts.

The idea that there are people of that level of talent at singing, playing, songwriting, and creative minds that got nowhere because of some producer? I suppose....but I don't think so!

Rocco and Frank like this.
  22. Iamnotthewalrus

Brian Epstein was good at marketing them and George Martin encouraged them to progress musically. It's all just speculation, really. Right, time, right place, coming across people who helped them but, of course, they were talented and wrote good, catchy pop tunes. They had good personalities that clicked. As for Martin, they could have wound up with a producer who insisted that they keep repeating the same "She Loves You" (needle drop) formula instead of one who encouraged them.

Michael Macrone, DK Pete and zipp like this.
  23. Iamnotthewalrus

Decca with Pete Best for a few years, McCartney seelling songs, Ringo opening his hair salon after a few more years with Rory Storm, Harrison maybe joining some band, John Lennon would likely still be alive.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    zipp likes this.
  24. stanleynohj

Martin was great...

but I don't think they would have stood for anyone standing in their way for too long. They were different from your run of the mill right from the start. He was a great mentor, etc., but they already had it in them, plus immense confidence and boldness and arrogance, even.

25. mhw58

mhw58 Forum Resident

John was their bold arrogant leader. To the toppermost of the poppermost.

Gone4ABurton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.