Beatles Remasters On Vinyl: Please Post News Here (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I think people here will buy them anyway. Can't help themselves. Look at how many people swore off the Red & Blue remasters and then snatched them up on release day? It's new Beatles product. We're collectors. It's a lost cause.

2. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

It'll give them time to realise that the main albums have to be all analogue!

If the whispered intro of "I Feel Fine" is not on the Red LP, I'm not interested.

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

It does not have to be a choice between 'audiophile' and 'product aimed at the mass market'. They can be one and the same.

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I didn't buy the Red and Blue remasters. I didn't see the point.

5. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Not necessarily; Abbey Road has been the best-selling vinyl of the past two years, old mastering and all. They had remastered CDs and the Rockband game coming out on 9/9/09 -- they had to draw the line somewhere. And if by "audiophile" you mean expensive, 180 gram, all-analogue LPs ... be prepared for disappointment.

Indeed -- as long as people aren't turned off by digitally-sourced vinyl, if they sound great they will be suitable for audiophiles and the mass public alike.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

If the Red and Blue albums get the same type of reviews that Stones Box (1964-1969) received, then I will make the leap. The Stones box was the first time that I bought digitally sourced vinyl. Although, it would be nice if this is treated in the same manner as Sony did with the Dylan mono LP box.

7. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

Well if some of you saw my vinyl collection you'd be scared by the digitally sourced copies including 3 C1 Beatles albums! :eek:
    All that matters is the vinyl sounds great and there's no reason why digitally sourced vinyl can't cut it. (excuse the pun)

8. How about a 7" or 12" single or EP with cuts from the remastered Red & Blue?
    Just in time for Record Store Day. That would create some interest in the remastered vinyl.
    But they need to produce sufficient quantities so that they don't end up on ebay at skyhigh prices.

9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Amen. It is all about the sound and there are plenty of examples of digitally sourced vinyl out there that sound fine.

I wonder when the American Psychiatric Society will add "irrational fear of digitally sourced vinyl" to its list of recognized conditions. ;)

10. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Nice idea actually.

11. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I agree -- I have no problem with digitally-sourced LPs. Who cares if it sounds great?

12. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

already happened.

13. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm keeping my Blue Box regardless. It's the Mono vinyl box that I'm excited for and am 100% going to buy. If the Stereo Box ends up being great, I might be convinced to get that one as well. :D I need to start saving my money with all the cool stuff coming out later this year that I want (The Beatles vinyl, the Beach Boys 'Smile' deluxe set, the Doors Matrix master tapes, etc.)

I'd prefer analog pressings like everyone else, but also agree that it could still end up being great even if it's digital. The recent Stones 1964-69 box sounds absolutely great, as does the Doors vinyl box from a few years back.

14. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

Here's hoping that this whole thing will get Blue Box prices down a bit so I can afford one!

15. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Completly agree. However, I haven´t listen yet to a digitally sourced vinyl that can rival the warmth and intensity of a full analog copy. If the Mono box gets Stones 64-69 treatment, I´ll be in. For stereos, there is no way they are going to beat BC13 (I have no hopes for an analog release)

16. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member

17. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I'm glad because this will likely drive down the cost of bc13. Now i will be able to afford them as christmas gifts.

These releases aren't geared towards the audiophile community. Unless they're cut from hi-rez flat transfers (even this isn't agreeable within our community) or better, all analog. But my bet is that they'll just cut these from what was available on the USB stick, which was the closest thing to an audiophile offering they're gonna give us. These records are going to be geared to the 20 year old hipsters with a sub-$100 plastic crosley turntable they got at target, who get all excited when they see a beat up US Capitol copy of the Help soundtrack and go "OMG, like, this is the beatles, but on vinyl! Amazing! it sounds so warm with all those crackles, bro." :rolleyes:

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'm not so sure this will drive the price down of the BC-13 box. Anything that is vintage Beatles (UK related) will still be somewhat costly.

I wouldn't be so quick to definitively say that these releases be geared towards "20 year old hipsters" and not the audiophile community. Hopefully, these pressings will not be haphazerdly cut. If Jeff Jones is involved with the project, I would assume these will be quality pressings.

They really have a chance to hit a home run with this. I hope Apple doesn't blow it.

19. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Won't EMI be disappointed to learn there are maybe a dozen people in the world who actually fit that stereotype :rolleyes:

20. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

Right, 20 year old hipsters is who they are targeting with pricey vinyl reissues.

21. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

I disagree and think MrRom92 hit it right on head. I'm quite familiar with the vinyl market. That stereotype is the majority... by a long shot.

22. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I know way more than a few dozen JUST like that who couldn't care less about which turntable or cart theyre using or pressings or whatever... I'm 19 myself, but my audiophile snobbery has clearly been honed :winkgrin:

I think this could drive the prices down of bc-13s just a little bit. I don't actually have one. But the majority of people are going to see it as "why should i pay for a box of old used records, regardless of condition, when for the same price, a NEW box of NEW vinyl can be purchased. The old box doesn't even have all the complete catalog, and the new one is on heavyweight vinyl. Neither are originals, both examples are reissues"
    At least, that's the way I would look at it, if the new ones were all analog at least.
    If they turn out to be that way, you'll begin to see my Y&B pressings flooding the classifieds... :shh:

23. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

I have some good digitally sourced vinyl, and I'm sure they could do it really well that way, but if these remasters are not analog-sourced, I may instead go look for a BC-13 box. If I'm going to buy one beatles box set i'd prefer it be analog sourced.

24. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

No, he's right. There are tons of these people. Most of them buy used vinyl for three bucks, though, so I don't know if they'd spring for these reissues. But the "vinyl resurgence" that the New York Times et al keep writing about is driven as much by 20-somethings wearing flannel as it is by 50-somethings wearing Pink Floyd t-shirts.

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'm going to wait to see what the consensus is regarding the Red and Blue albums before I decide to buy. I'm hoping that Apple will put some kind of care and effort into these albums rather than issue them any old way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.