Beatles U.S. fans in 1963?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Moonbeam Skies, Feb 13, 2022.

1. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident Thread Starter

To the best of my knowledge the Beatles had three singles released in the U.S. in 1963:
    Please Please Me/Ask Me Why (Vee Jay, February 1963)
    From Me to You/Thank You Girl (Vee Jay, March 1963)
    She Loves You/I'll Get You (Swan, September 1963)
    No albums were released, although Vee Jay had the Introducing the Beatles album ready to go that summer. It didn't actually hit the shelves until early 1964.
    My question is does anybody have firsthand memories of hearing the Beatles on U.S. radio, or buying one of their records when John F. Kennedy was still in the White House? Or even secondhand accounts of hearing about this new English band that sounded like nothing ever heard before. This is a topic that very seldom gets discussed. I would love to know if the Beatles had any following whatsoever in the States, even if it was just an underground following in Chicago where some D.J. was spinning these discs.

ParloFax, tedg65, 905 and 14 others like this.
  2. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

My father graduated from HS in June of 1963 from suburban Chicago.

He absolutely remembered the Beatles in High School.

One of his friends put makeshift "The Beatles" artwork (maybe lettering in clay?) on his jalopy that he drove to Morton East HS (Cicero).

At least that's how the story goes...

Library Eye, ParloFax, JeffMo and 8 others like this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Didn’t From Me To You chart locally in the Chicago area during the spring of 1963?

Library Eye and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  4. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Chicago again...

"That's What Love Will Do" - The Impressions

It sounds like Curtis was trying his hand at some Merseybeat...

"Bad To Me" hit #1 in the UK on 18th August 1963 - The Impressions cut this song on the 21st (at the same session as their #4 hit "It's All Right"):

5. Steve Litos

It could have been that or Please Please Me which was played on WLS for 3 weeks.

Sean, JoeF., Tommyboy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Not sure about Chicago (as mentioned above, "Please Please Me" got some airplay there), but "From Me To You" did make the airplay chart for station KRLA in Los Angeles in August/September 1963. See #32:

[​IMG]

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Definitely "Please Please Me" in Chicago in March 1963 --- But it was by a strange band called The "BEATTLES" ;) --- See #35:

[​IMG]

8. Steve Litos

Where did Curtis Mayfield hear "Bad To Me" for inspiration?

Shortwave radio?

Was someone sending him 45s from the UK to the south side of Chicago?

I actually don't know Curtis' listening habits, but I know he pretty much plagiarized This Old Heart Of Mine in 1966.

Other than that, usually people were stealing from him...

JoeF. and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  9. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

One Louise Caldwell of Benton, Illinois was a confirmed fan in 1963. ;)

[​IMG]

10. PossiblyIndecisive

PossiblyIndecisive Forum Resident

I recall George Martin saying that they deliberately allowed small American record labels to circulate their hits in 1963, as part of a strategy to create some buzz and pressure Capitol into publishing their records in the US.

They managed to get some exposure on local radio, particularly around the Chicago area.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    Library Eye, tedg65, Sean and 5 others like this.
  11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Great thread and hopefully lots of answers come in from people who remember firsthand (I was five for most of '63). This period in US Beatle history has always mystified me...the fact that they were setting England on fire and the average record buyer here, basically, had no idea.

BDC, The Beave and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  12. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

Karen and Richard Carpenter were Beatles fans in 1963:agree:

13. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Great thread idea.

It's also interesting to ask Canadian (like me) fans (but those a lot older than me, ha!) because The Beatles broke big in Canada around September (?) 1963 with, I think, "She Loves You". The "mania" started about four/five months earlier than in the US.

(Interestingly, the Ringo-on-drums original "Love Me Do" was also issued as a 45 in Canada in very early 1963, and I think this was the only territory aside from the UK -- well, maybe Ireland -- where this was so.)

Library Eye, JeffMo, Sean and 9 others like this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yup, Capitol of Canada got it, unlike its parent company.

bekayne, Rochdale3, gregorya and 3 others like this.
  15. TheRunoutMatrix

TheRunoutMatrix I'm sticking with you, cause I'm made out of glue.

What happened was Capitol US had right of first refusal. They were offered the Beatles and refused, then Capitol Canada decided to go for it; talking to Capitol US first about it, and issued Love Me Do in February. Less than 200 copies were initially pressed, and less than 100 were sold. Capitol Canada went on to try again with a few more different singles, as the US side kept refusing.

Andrew from Parlogram auctions recently did a new YouTube video about this Canadian history, but it might still in the members-only section.

16. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

My friend's mom has those albums on vinyl -- Twist and Shout and Beatlemania... with the Beatles! I had Twist and Shout on cassette back in about 1989, as a kid.

Library Eye, Steve Litos and DK Pete like this.
  17. RJD1954

RJD1954 Forum Resident

WOW. I’M MORE INTERESTED IN THAT #13. Sun Arise by Australian Rolf Harris!!!!!

Who was subsequently convicted and jailed in the UK in 2014 of sex offences committed between 1968 and 1986.

I’m from Perth. As he is. I had no idea he had hits in the US

Haristar and Steve Litos like this.
  18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I wonder if it was sent to Vee-Jay (their old label) for consideration - he was more likely to hear it than most.

It seems to me that Curtis was always looking for a hit sound to exploit, while simultaneously creating a world of music uniquely his own.

Just a theory of mine.

nancybrooke likes this.
  19. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

The Fabs didn't connect with me until '64. Ed Sullivan and all that...

Ricardo Cosinaro and DK Pete like this.
  20. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

21. MusicGuy5!

MusicGuy5! Forum Resident

Following

22. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Heard she even got a personal visit from a Beatle!

23. Steve Litos

It's true that "record row" on Michigan Ave was pretty consolidated back in the day.

While I personally think the "Effect of Merseybeat Songs on Chicago Soul in 1963" would be a very short term paper, anything is worth investigating to a point.

DJ Dick Biondi, Author Robert Pruter, Sam Gooden, Fred Cash, Jerry Butler, and even Gene "Daddy G" Barge AND 98 year old Johnny Pate are all still living.

I still think the Chicago Soul writers and artists were listening to relatively low powered WVON and producing music to appeal to that audience first rather than the 50,000 watt clear channel top 40 powerhouse WLS.

24. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

The interesting thing was that Canadian radio stations that could be picked up in some American cities apparently made no impact. So no early interest in the Beatles in places like Detroit, Buffalo or Seattle.

The Beave, Moonbeam Skies and DK Pete like this.
  25. Steve Litos

The KLRA also has the "no hit" Supremes at #35! They turned it around too.