Beatles White Album and serial numbers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Hatter, Jun 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm the lucky owner of a 1968 UK mono white top opening. I know its authentic I 've had it since 1970. Its a fairly low serial number 0159xxx, my query is around my Stereo version
    Reading posts here and links to other sites I thought I'd check out my Stereo White album , which I bought in 1971/72 and has serial number 291384. It's a side opener, no "sold in the UK" on the label, and yet its got a serial number, which does nt begin with a zero.
    Is it possible to have a serial number on a side opener ?
    Should I care ?
    Cheers
    John

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Of course you should care.

I don't have your answer, only having a '68 British White, but I'm sure someone does here.

The USA manufactured versions have overlapping numbers due to the fact that more than one factory was making the albums, making the actual value of a low number pretty useless to anyone but a die-hard collector...

John, put the word "Beatles" in your thread heading, take pity on the search engines!

3. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

For more information on how the albums were numbered, check out Bruce Spizer's excellent book "The Beatles on Apple records".

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There IS archeology on the 'net regarding Whitey numbers. It's been discussed here too. I don't have the info handy, but it's interesting to look at!

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

According to Bruce Spizer's book:

....After the Bert-Co (printing company) numbered covers pass 100, the numbers are preceded by a set of zeros. Examples include 0000340, 0008008, 0025007 and 0202735. At some point around 210,000, the Bert-Co numbered covers begin having a wide A and space preceding the numbers. Examples include A 0218307 and A 0578465. These covers are usually found with Los Angeles pressings of the album......

Sounds like you have a White Album anomaly there, John. Like Steve said, there are overlapping numbers and as Bruce writes in his book:

"The Capitol paper work regarding the allocation of number blocks is missing and presumed destroyed, thus it is impossible to give a precise accounting of how the numbers were assigned."

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Folks,
    Fellow forum member John Simpson is in the UK. His question relates to UK Stereo white albums.
    Bruce Spizer's Apple book has very little about UK pressings (IOW, the information on Bruce's book applies only to US pressings).

My understanding is that the first batch of side opening UK copies were still numbered. "Sold in the UK..." on the label stopped shortly after Yellow Submarine (Jan 1969). So your copy was manufactured somewhere between mid 69 to the end of 1970, maybe even 71.

BC

7. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

John

In answer to your question, yes!

There were three separate pressings of the numbered UK stereo White Album:

1968: original top-loader with 7-digit serial number (same as original mono)

Late 1969: first reissue, side-opening with 7-digit serial number.

1970/71: second reissue, side-opening with 6-digit serial number.

From c. 1972 onwards, the albums were pressed without serial numbers.

The "Sold In UK..." text was withdrawn mid-1969 hence why it doesn't appear on your reissue stereo pressing.

I have an original mono (#0094332), a first reissue stereo (#0111908) and a second reissue stereo (#298615).

Hope that helps!

Cheers

8. John Hatter

John Hatter Senior Member Thread Starter

Re: Re: Beatles White Album and serial numbers

Thanks to everybody, I now know what I have, and I do care !:laugh:

9. ashleyfan

ashleyfan New Member

I have a question about the numbers. Were they used concurrently on the mono and stereo LP first pressings? In other words, is there a no. 1 for both mono and stereo in the UK pressings, or did they number a set of monos 1-350 or whatever and then start at 351-to-whatever for the stereos then return to the whatever-plus-one number for the monos?

10. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

AFAIK for the UK original pressings they duplicated the numbering for mono and stereo so yes you would find a mono # 0000001 and a stereo # 0000001.

11. stanley chicago

stanley chicago Member

I would like to add the Beatles White Album LP to my library. Can someone educate me on the numbering on the cover of the white album?

How many numbered albums were printed? Why do some albums have an A in front of the number and others do not?

It seems like the reprint issues with no number are in consistenly better shape than the originals.

Any comments or advice on which issue to hunt for?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. :cool:

12. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I'm assuming you're talking about US issue White Albums. AFAIK, nobody knows how many were numbered, and the numbering scheme seems to follow no real logic. There LP's with a black dot, an A, a "No." prefix or no prefix.

Really, you're better off with a UK pressing. And UK pressings with 3 or 4 original cutting sides are common well into the late 70's.

13. If you don't have any luck here, you might want to reference Bruce Spizer's books as he goes into extensive detail on this.

14. Jae

Jae Senior Member

For a quick on-line overview of the numbering schemes of US white albums (and song titling), click here and scroll down to the Beatles album.

15. Thomas Pugwash

Thomas Pugwash Forum Resident

I'm thinking of sticking this up on E-Bay!!

Judging by the level of atrocious 'fakes' up there I might just get away with it.....? Bidding starts at $ 1,000,000 ;)

[​IMG]

16. stanley chicago

stanley chicago Member

Great help. Thank you.

17. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

Canadian numbered Beatles white album

Does anyone know if the Canadian release had its own numbers? Or were U.S. manufactured covers used for the Canadian 1st pressing?

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

:laugh: There's always the inverse White Album №(11111111)

19. Big Pasi

Big Pasi Forum Resident

So, what was the biggest (last) number printed?

20. NoClue48

NoClue48 New Member

If it were the inverse, wouldn't it then be the "Black Album"?:confused:

21. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Supposedly for the US press run of the LP, 3,000,000 copies were numbered.

22. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

Anybody know how many numbers were released for the original U.S. CD? i have like # 002046 (or something like that.)

23. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I believe on the first CD issue in the US 150,000 mine is 131,443

The 30th Anniversary all UK made 100,000 worldwide mine is 56607

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  24. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident

Where did the serial numbers end at and did the monos have their own sequence or were they included in with stereos?

Big Pasi likes this.
  25. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I saw an embossed White Album on eBay without a serial number. I did not know these existed. Anyone know how rare these are?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.