Beatles without George Martin

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, May 14, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Static

Static Forum Resident

I will make a more modern example...Iron Maiden...With Martin Birch...without Martin Birch....from Killers thru No Prayer for the Dying the band kept getting better and better...and although I love all of their music all the way thru today...I dont believe they would have had such massive success without Mr Birch producing and mixing. Note how the quality of the recording and the mixing has changed with Mr Shirley who is more hands off.
    What on Earth does Iron Maiden have to do with the Beatles!!!!

Well....
    George Martin was involved with all of the process. Some producers do more some do less. But the point of a producer is to make sure the band Produces! Hit singles. Records released on time/Using studio time wisely and in some cases like Mr Martin...being involved in the mixing and writing of the material.
    Most producers don't take credit for the work they do in the recording studio as it is their job to move the product.
    Does that mean that the Beatles (or any other band) were not good songwriters or players. No. It just means - like most bands - that he was the person who moved things along and in the right direction. And in many cases ..kept the band from fighting with each other all the time. Anyone who has recorded with a band probably understands what I mean.

Is it the coach that wins the game or is it the team? Most of the time it is both. Mr Martin was a fantastic coach that knew how to relate to the artist he was working for- especially the Beatles...lots of big egos there.
    Somehow he kept them on track. They probably did not like him for that.

IMO if you want to hear what the Beatles would have sounded like without Mr Martin. Listen to their early solo albums... and as others have said Let It Be.

Biff1 and DK Pete like this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I understand what you’re saying in your final paragraph but it should be noted that Martin’s importance goes beyond sound quality of their solo albums.. It’s actually more crucial to point out what the early sixties albums and singles of some of their contemporaries sounded like alongside With The Beatles or Beatles For Sale and singles like I Want To Hold Your Hand or A Hard Days Night. Martin and his team of engineers were aural visionaries from the start.

Static likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.