Beautiful Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tobyd, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

To my eye installation has to allow you to use the room for something more than a private listening space just for one person to enjoy.
    It isn't just the "look" of the boxes that matters to me---a box is a box exclusive of those truly weird designs that scream "look at me."
    It is more about the total impression of the room and whether it invites use for other than admiration of stereo junk.

I prefer that a family playback system perform at studio grade with soundstage clarity from multiple listening positions---not just at one sweet spot but at multiple seats so that others may enjoy the sound.
    I also have another specific playback room for monitoring and mixing---but this is not for the public---that room is for work that needs to be done.

The problem with full range playback in large "family rooms" is that speakers that can handle that size tend to be rather intrusive.
    Most setups that can put out a truly big picture typically take up lots of real estate and look overbearing as they can dominate the room.
    My solution for this room was to low mount my mains and put the truly large boxes (the subs---I use four subs in this case) toward the rear where they intrude less visually.

By carefully setting relative volumes of all the drivers you can create a seamless speaker system that floats the sound into holographic images that are not coming from the boxes.
    It is quite nice to enter Holodeck Three of the Starship Enterprise and be transported to Carnegie Hall while listening to Karajan doing Beethoven.

Oh yeah baby.
    That's what I'm talking about.
    And for this room we have Harbeth Monitor 30s with Velodyne 15 and SVS 12 inch subs,
    Not my biggest system but it does the job and the wife likes this room and reads books while playing my stereo---and yes she knows how to turn it all on!
    [​IMG]

GyroT, tyinkc, bajaed and 8 others like this.
  2. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I like my Opera Grand Mezzas. Not sure if they're "beautiful" but they do strike me as attractive compared to a lot of speakers out there. Black ash sides with faux leather fronts-the faux is actually quite good looking. Not cheap and cheesy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

tyinkc, mreeter, Helom and 9 others like this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

These look very similar to the M-Series of stereo / home theater speakers by Boston Acoustics. This is their M-350 flagship model.

[​IMG]

The cabinets are finished in a flawless high gloss piano black.

Boston Acoustics M Series loudspeakers are distinguished visually by their elegant rounded cabinet designs, high-gloss finish and premium quality, leatherette covered baffles. All speakers are available in gloss black with black faux leather trim (on top).

[​IMG]

The M Series lineup features seven speaker models all together, three floorstanding speakers, the flagship 3-way M350 ($2,499/pr), with four 5-1/4″ woofers and a 4” midrange, the slightly smaller 3-way M340 ($1,999/pr) with four 4-1/2″ woofers and the smaller yet 2-way M250 ($1,499/pr) with one 5-1/4″ midrange/woofer combination and dedicated 5-1/4″ woofer. Also included in the series is a 2-way bookshelf model M25 ($799/pr), with one 5-1/4″ woofer, as well as the compact center-channel MCenter ($599) with dual 4-1/2″ woofers, the satellite MSurround ($748/pr), and the powerful MSubwoofer ($1,199).

This is rare to have their entire line finished in a beautiful high gloss black finish, even the subwoofer. Looks very classy in any room where a high gloss black finish would work.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    mreeter, yenyen, Ilusndweller and 3 others like this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

One of the Viking Acoustics models.

aunitedlemon and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Can't believe I almost missed an opportunity to flog another photo of my Sonus Fabers. :cool:
    [​IMG]

eis01, Petie53, Ingenieur and 23 others like this.
  6. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Do you have a shot of the full system from the listening seat?

7. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

This better ? Same photo as on my profile and a couple others.

[​IMG]

8. Khorn

Better. It’s so well designed. It deserves a “full frontal” :D

timind, tlowe, SandAndGlass and 5 others like this.
  9. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

What are your speakers sitting on? Slate?

Tim 2 likes this.
  10. danomar

danomar My spoon is too big.

I still think that a pair of Acoustat Model 3s is an impressive thing to behold in the right room.

[​IMG]

mreeter, eis01, DaveWin and 12 others like this.
  11. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Honestly I think this is very true when you are buying a pair of speakers but if you are an audiophile it's not long before the beauty of the sound (or lack thereof) trumps the looks of a speaker. I know I have a gorgeous pair of speakers I recently bought that I am going to be selling soon.

mreeter, Helom, timind and 3 others like this.
  12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Rabbits and beer...

My JBLs aren't actually beautiful but the music they make certainly is.

[​IMG]

13. Khorn

Nice. I like.

14. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

It's an MDF enclosure filled with a 30% lead/sand mix.

15. FalseMetal666

FalseMetal666 Forum Resident

Great idea and nicely built - they look like solid pieces of stone.

Tim 2 likes this.
  16. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

is Steve Jobs off camera, sitting on the floor?

17. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Cosmotron £1m
    [​IMG]

Petie53, TimGoodwin, Dave and 3 others like this.
  18. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Where is Godzilla?

19. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Ingenieur, tomd, Dave and 10 others like this.
  20. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

21. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I do believe you mean, where is Mechagodzilla? :tiphat:
    [​IMG]

tomd, PineBark, Ilusndweller and 6 others like this.
  22. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Makes me think of Flash Gordon, where's Ming the Merciless when you need him?

23. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

24. JJ HUNSECKER

JJ HUNSECKER Well-Known Member

Amazing and crazy. I love these.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. JJ HUNSECKER

JJ HUNSECKER Well-Known Member

Right on! Totally